Belly's daily question? 05-22-2020

Belly35 Elderly Intellectual
10,015 posts 56 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 22, 2020 11:25 AM

What aspect of home repair you don't do or will not attempt?

I don't do electrical, will change a light bulb but that is it...

Plumbing, Painting, Wallpapering, Gardening, Roofing, Spouting, Carpentry I'm all good and I can do.   

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 22, 2020 11:27 AM

Agreed on electrical. Had someone come out the other day to replace my porch light units. Probably only took him 20 minutes but that’s fine. I’m not messing with those. 

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
4,424 posts 18 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 22, 2020 11:31 AM

No electrical and no plumbing.

I'm no true handyman though. I need to replace my storm door frame. Need to add a shower to the bathroom. Those are the major things my house needs right now.

Probably will be able to replace or add a few fans in the house though.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 22, 2020 12:20 PM

I’m pretty handy with small electrical and plumbing repair.  I’ve done lots of fixtures, sockets and switches. I’ve been shocked a couple times but it’s no big deal to me. I’ve done plenty of toilet, sink fixture repair and install and disposal repair and install.  But I’m done with disposal installs and sink pipes because I can’t bend down very well these days. I have the ability to recognize when a job is going to be too much for me to handle and I need a pro. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 22, 2020 2:18 PM

I’ve done just about everything on a relatively small scale:  electrical – switching out sockets, light fixtures, outlets, switches etc… (will not mess with the fuse box though); plumbing – toilets, faucets, disposal, traps, install dishwasher (but never a fan of plumbing, always have fingers crossed when I turn the water back on J ); general repair – find a way to figure out how to fix stuff.  One thing I won’t do anymore, and used to all the time, is get on the roof (2nd story) to clean gutters etc.. – something changed within physiologically in the last 3 years and I am unsteady and uneasy up there ….not sure how to explain it, I used to have zero problem up there but now freeze up, weird.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, May 22, 2020 2:23 PM
posted by QuakerOats

I’ve done just about everything on a relatively small scale:  electrical – switching out sockets, light fixtures, outlets, switches etc… (will not mess with the fuse box though); plumbing – toilets, faucets, disposal, traps, install dishwasher (but never a fan of plumbing, always have fingers crossed when I turn the water back on J ); general repair – find a way to figure out how to fix stuff.  One thing I won’t do anymore, and used to all the time, is get on the roof (2nd story) to clean gutters etc.. – something changed within physiologically in the last 3 years and I am unsteady and uneasy up there ….not sure how to explain it, I used to have zero problem up there but now freeze up, weird.

Agreed on this.  I used to go up on our roof to clean gutters, fix tiles, etc.  I'd take a blower up there once a month to blow crap off.  We lived in Bay Village with lots of big trees over the house.  About 4-5 years ago, I quit cold turkey because I didn't trust myself getting up there or being up there.  

cat_lover Senior Member
3,629 posts 44 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 22, 2020 2:36 PM

Minor electrical and plumbing everything else I am good with.

BRF Senior Member
Fri, May 22, 2020 4:14 PM
posted by QuakerOats

….not sure how to explain it, I used to have zero problem up there but now freeze up, weird.

It happens. I used to have very little fear of heights but now I’m really not cool with it. 

Old adage: Old men and ladders don’t mix. 

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 22, 2020 9:11 PM

Plumbing and electrical. Nope nope nope. 

I’m also shaky with roofing. I roofted a few houses in my younger days. Then I got up there when I was around 28 and I was a little  bitch. 

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 23, 2020 9:36 PM

I don't mind electrical.  Turn the fucking breaker off, n00bs!  Also, black wire goes on gold, white wire goes on silver.

BRF Senior Member
Sun, May 24, 2020 7:25 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

I don't mind electrical.  Turn the fucking breaker off, n00bs!  

This is good advice.  At times, I am too lazy to go do this and tell myself “you’ll be alright”. Most of the time I am right. :-)

My father in-law is an actual electrician. He hates stab locks on sockets and switches, but I like them. 

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 24, 2020 8:26 PM

Electrical, but at some point I am going to attempt to run electric to the barn.  Likely put in all the wiring by let an expert tie it all in.    Have done basic plumbing.   Needed a new well pump a couple weeks ago but did not even attempt it, but after watching I think I could do it with a little help.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 24, 2020 8:26 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

I don't mind electrical.  Turn the fucking breaker off, n00bs!  Also, black wire goes on gold, white wire goes on silver.

Can you wire an entire house?

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, May 24, 2020 11:13 PM
posted by Automatik

Can you wire an entire house?

Everything but the breaker.  Lights, switches, fans, receptacles. Indoor, outdoor.  Mostly 110.

Zunardo Senior Member
815 posts 15 reps Joined Nov 2010
Mon, May 25, 2020 12:38 PM

30 years ago I bought the Readers' Digest Guide to Basic Home Repair and tried a few things.  Managed a few projects, but not without a lot of struggle and shaky-looking results:

• replace kitchen faucets
  • replace toilet flusher and flap
  • install ceiling fans
  • replaced front and back storm doors
  • replace aluminum siding with vinyl siding
  • re-roofed garage and replaced one of the plywood panels
  • built a 6'x10' recording studio in my basement

After that, I realized I was never going to get good at it.  I have a couple of friends who are certified contractors that I rely on whenever I have faucet or toilet in need of repair, and I'm happy to pay for their time for a professional result and much less stress.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, May 26, 2020 2:49 PM
posted by BRF

It happens. I used to have very little fear of heights but now I’m really not cool with it. 

Old adage: Old men and ladders don’t mix. 

Some day I will have to tell you about the time I had with a ladder, a chain saw, and a big pin oak limb.

BRF Senior Member
Tue, May 26, 2020 3:02 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Some day I will have to tell you about the time I had with a ladder, a chain saw, and a big pin oak limb.

A good friend of mine had an experience with those things, too. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login