Progressives, part 3...

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 9:51 AM
posted by jmog

The problem is that the US isn’t the only country. The whole ME and Northern Africa (like Egypt) are considered Semitic rather than “Asian” or “african”  just because the US doesn’t put that on a form doesn’t mean we are right.

We don’t put Indian (actual India) either but they are quite obviously a different “race” than what we consider “Asian” (Japan, korea, China, Mongolia, etc).

Yeah.. I'm just saying its not really a Hollywood issue. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 9:55 AM
posted by jmog

Judaism is a religion, Semitic (race that Jews are) is a race. Hope this helps

It helps nothing.  My point was that different constituencies parse the Jewish religion vs race question differently.  This includes some Jewish organizations.  So while I understand that Whoopi Goldberg was talking about it from a perspective of someone who hasn’t a clue about the question, she inadvertently raised a fair point.  The outrage police better do some research on who’s said what on this topic before going all in on Whoopi.  They’d be surprised who some of their allies and adversaries are.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 10:36 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

The outrage police better do some research on who’s said what on this topic before going all in on Whoopi.  They’d be surprised who some of their allies and adversaries are.

You can’t look at historical events through modern progressive lenses. Hitler, and most of the World, viewed the Jewish people as a different race prior to WWII. And that had nothing to do with their religious practices. So saying the holocaust wasn’t about race was extremely dumb and is what happens when you only look at the world by skin color. I don’t think she should have been suspended for it. 

Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:02 AM
posted by iclfan2

You can’t look at historical events through modern progressive lenses. Hitler, and most of the World, viewed the Jewish people as a different race prior to WWII. And that had nothing to do with their religious practices. So saying the holocaust wasn’t about race was extremely dumb and is what happens when you only look at the world by skin color. I don’t think she should have been suspended for it. 

I agree with what you say here.  I frankly don't see why there's so much anger aimed at her.  I think she is ill-informed and has some anti-white racist attitudes.  Nonetheless, it is interesting to see people railing at her for essentially repeating the message most Jewish organizations have promulgated for 80 years - that "Jewish" is not a race of people.  

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:05 AM

It helps nothing.  My point was that different constituencies parse the Jewish religion vs race question differently.  This includes some Jewish organizations.  So while I understand that Whoopi Goldberg was talking about it from a perspective of someone who hasn’t a clue about the question, she inadvertently raised a fair point.  The outrage police better do some research on who’s said what on this topic before going all in on Whoopi.  They’d be surprised who some of their allies and adversaries are.

Sorry, but only someone who is ignorant of actual WW2 history and the Holocaust would say it wasn’t about race.

The Nazi’s were literally white supremacists who thought the “Arian race” was superior to all others, and they considered Jews a completely different race.

And anyone who is trying to explain away what she said is also ignorant of the history.

Hope that helps more  

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:08 AM

You will easily find a lot of materials out there - often from Jewish sources - that say Judaism is not a race.

The issue here is that Hitler and the Nazi's called them a race of people.  So it doesnt matter to anyone today but the push for the holocaust by Hitler was that the Jews WERE A RACE OF PEOPLE.

You guys need to study history more.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:10 AM

I agree with what you say here.  I frankly don't see why there's so much anger aimed at her.  I think she is ill-informed and has some anti-white racist attitudes.  Nonetheless, it is interesting to see people railing at her for essentially repeating the message most Jewish organizations have promulgated for 80 years - that "Jewish" is not a race of people.  

1. I don’t thing she should be suspended because I think cancel culture is ridiculous. But if Disney fires Gina Carrano for far less insensitive comments and they don’t fire Whoopi, they will be rather hypocritical.

2. As iclfan said, you can’t go off what anyone looks at Jews of today, it’s historically ignorant to do so. The Holocaust was 100% about race and also anti-LGTBQ. It was not “white against white” like she said. She was wrong and anyone trying to defend her comments are wrong.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:13 AM

that "Jewish" is not a race of people. 

"Muslim" is also not a race...
jmog Senior Member
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:21 AM
posted by gut

True, most Jews and Muslims would hate to know this, but they are all technically Semitic. But since Jews use that term mostly the Arabian people/Muslims will never use/agree with it.

Semitic is basically Northern Africa and Middle East

Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:23 AM
posted by jmog

Sorry, but only someone who is ignorant of actual WW2 history and the Holocaust would say it wasn’t about race.

The Nazi’s were literally white supremacists who thought the “Arian race” was superior to all others, and they considered Jews a completely different race.

And anyone who is trying to explain away what she said is also ignorant of the history.

Hope that helps more  

You miss my  point.  I am well aware of how the Nazis thought and that they considered the Jews a race.  I'm also not defending Whoopi Goldberg.  I doubt she has a clue about the details of the Holocaust.  

My point was that she inadvertently stumbled upon a point that has been in contention for centuries - long before the Nazis and in the time since.  I pointed it out mostly because many of the people outraged at her are likely unaware who stands for what on this topic.  Their virtue signaling is rushed when they haven't evaluated who's on their team.

You spelled Aryan wrong. 

gut Senior Member
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:23 AM
posted by jmog

True, most Jews and Muslims would hate to know this, but they are all technically Semitic. But since Jews use that term mostly the Arabian people/Muslims will never use/agree with it.

I was going more for the "Muslim travel ban is racist!!!".  That entire thing was a shitshow on both sides.
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:25 AM
posted by jmog

1. I don’t thing she should be suspended because I think cancel culture is ridiculous. But if Disney fires Gina Carrano for far less insensitive comments and they don’t fire Whoopi, they will be rather hypocritical.

2. As iclfan said, you can’t go off what anyone looks at Jews of today, it’s historically ignorant to do so. The Holocaust was 100% about race and also anti-LGTBQ. It was not “white against white” like she said. She was wrong and anyone trying to defend her comments are wrong.

1. I don't GAF because I hope to never watch one second of the View ever.
  2. For the third time, I understand the Nazi's view.  I don't defend her comments.  

Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:26 AM
posted by gut

Nor is Rastafarian.  

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 11:52 AM

You miss my  point.  I am well aware of how the Nazis thought and that they considered the Jews a race.  I'm also not defending Whoopi Goldberg.  I doubt she has a clue about the details of the Holocaust.  

My point was that she inadvertently stumbled upon a point that has been in contention for centuries - long before the Nazis and in the time since.  I pointed it out mostly because many of the people outraged at her are likely unaware who stands for what on this topic.  Their virtue signaling is rushed when they haven't evaluated who's on their team.

You spelled Aryan wrong. 

The Bruce Arians race! Where all chubby dudes who coach football get placed.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 12:08 PM

You spelled Aryan wrong. 

Yup, I type enough on a fantasy football board and have mentioned Bruce Arians enough that apparently my phone autocorrected Aryan to Arian
Wed, Feb 2, 2022 12:10 PM
posted by jmog
Yup, I type enough on a fantasy football board and have mentioned Bruce Arians enough that apparently my phone autocorrected Aryan to Arian

Der Fuhrer wouldn't accept that.  "Get onto the train.  Clearly label your luggage.  It will follow you there."

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Thu, Feb 3, 2022 1:05 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/timothy-leduc-to-become-1st-openly-nonbinary-us-winter-games-athlete

WTF?  I don’t know what anything means anymore.  WTF is non binary mean when you literally doing a sport that identifies you as a man skating with a women?  You surely do embrace manly things with that finely shaped beard.  I bet you still have your dong also.

I guess if “he” comes out and says he doesn’t have any sex and when he jerks off to a can of beans,  it’s not sexual.  Then I might understand.

gut Senior Member
Sat, Feb 5, 2022 1:42 PM

Man, they mad at Joe Rogan!

All the stuff he's said over the years, but a couple of programs on Covid and the cancel nazi's just couldn't take it any more.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Feb 6, 2022 12:10 AM

Beginning of the end.  He's started to apologize.  Blood is in the water.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Feb 6, 2022 2:38 PM
posted by majorspark

Beginning of the end.  He's started to apologize.  Blood is in the water.

Someone combed through thousands of hours of audio to put together that compilation of him.  I would assume that person, or people, were paid.  I think that's all a lot more concerning than Rogan using the N-word.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login