37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 10:51 AM
posted by justincredible

This would be one hell of an upset.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 11:11 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I'm not missing anything.  You say "no one likes to admit they have a head start in life".  My point is that you're making just as big a generalization with that as someone who believes a certain race of people is always less capable of something.  

You are missing everything. It's not about generalizations. like... literally doesn't have anything to do with the fact that white people... especially white dudes.. can't experience racism. Definitely not in the US. There has to be a form of oppression or marginalization to experience racism. That doesn't describe white dudes.  I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue? It doesn't seem you're very sure what you're trying to argue either, 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 11:16 AM

I bet you're all going to change each others minds on this topic. Definitely.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 11:59 AM
posted by kizer permanente

You are missing everything. It's not about generalizations. like... literally doesn't have anything to do with the fact that white people... especially white dudes.. can't experience racism. Definitely not in the US. There has to be a form of oppression or marginalization to experience racism. That doesn't describe white dudes.  I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue? It doesn't seem you're very sure what you're trying to argue either, 

If I'm trying for a job where a big part of who gets it is the result of a test, and minorities are getting bonus points, am I not a victim of racism?

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 12:22 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

If I'm trying for a job where a big part of who gets it is the result of a test, and minorities are getting bonus points, am I not a victim of racism?

Would you say you're being oppressed? I probably wouldn't.  

You're a business owner right? Do you have many.. hell any jobs that give minorities bonus points? Do you think most job/places do? Or would you say that's a relatively rare practice designed to TRY to combat  some inequalities? 

Oppression requires an element of systemic or prolonging injustice. Now if you were unemployed and every job or nearly every job you tried to get was just too hard because minorities had a better chance.. then yeah Id say you experienced racism.. but you and I both know this isnt the case. Never has been.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 12:27 PM

in before Jmog and his stories of oppression as a white college student lol jkjk but really we do remember the stories so no need to rehash.  

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 12:37 PM
posted by justincredible

I bet you're all going to change each others minds on this topic. Definitely.

I think everyone knows better than that lol . I don't mind the discussion though. 

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 12:46 PM

Would you say you're being oppressed? I probably wouldn't.  

You're a business owner right? Do you have many.. hell any jobs that give minorities bonus points? Do you think most job/places do? Or would you say that's a relatively rare practice designed to TRY to combat  some inequalities? 

Oppression requires an element of systemic or prolonging injustice. Now if you were unemployed and every job or nearly every job you tried to get was just too hard because minorities had a better chance.. then yeah Id say you experienced racism.. but you and I both know this isnt the case. Never has been.

I would say I'm being oppressed in my scenario. The example (with the bonus points) is  common for many civil service jobs. I am being penalized due the the color of my skin.

I do not buy your definition requiring the injustice to be long-term. If today is the first time I'm disadvantaged by the color of my skin, I'm a victim of racism.

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 12:52 PM

I would say I'm being oppressed in my scenario. The example (with the bonus points) is  common for many civil service jobs. I am being penalized due the the color of my skin.

I do not buy your definition requiring the injustice to be long-term. If today is the first time I'm disadvantaged by the color of my skin, I'm a victim of racism.

That’s the definition of oppression though, right? Otherwise everyone, everyday is oppressed. We'd all be able to say it if we just experience it. But obviously we aren't all oppressed. 

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 1:02 PM

Your definition of oppression is one, oppression as a state of being is another dictionary definition of the word, which does not require it to be long-term.

Accepting your definition for the moment, are you taking the position that a lack of oppression makes racism acceptable?

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 1:07 PM

Your definition of oppression is one, oppression as a state of being is another dictionary definition of the word, which does not require it to be long-term.

Accepting your definition for the moment, are you taking the position that a lack of oppression makes racism acceptable?

My position is lack of oppression or marginalization takes away racism. Which is why there aren't any white dudes here that experience racism. 

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 2:26 PM

My position is lack of oppression or marginalization takes away racism. Which is why there aren't any white dudes here that experience racism. 

If you're going to be consistent, that would mean that the majority sex (women) are not victims of sexism.

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 2:32 PM

If you're going to be consistent, that would mean that the majority sex (women) are not victims of sexism.

Why? Bc they’re a slight majority? Again… that’s why theres a key distinction of oppression or marginalization right? 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 2:38 PM

Why? Bc they’re a slight majority? Again… that’s why theres a key distinction of oppression or marginalization right? 

It only takes one person, like a bigoted supervisor, for a white person to be a victim of racism. To believe otherwise is simply ignorant.

Now the couple times I've been harassed by supervisors/colleagues could have just been because they were asshole psychopaths, most likely even....but I think the way this works is when the skin color is different, then it's definitely racism.

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 2:42 PM
posted by gut

It only takes one person, like a bigoted supervisor, for a white person to be a victim of racism. To believe otherwise is simply ignorant.

Now the couple times I've been harassed by supervisors/colleagues could have just been because they were asshole psychopaths, most likely even....but I think the way this works is when the skin color is different, then it's definitely racism.

Nah I disagree. All you’d have to do is find another job and leave it behind  that doesn’t work for oppressed people  

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 2:44 PM

This seems to make being a minority a prerequisite for one "-ism", but not another (kind of random):

"How could a white dude experience racism? When have white dudes ever been the minority?"

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 2:54 PM

This seems to make being a minority a prerequisite for one "-ism", but not another (kind of random):

"How could a white dude experience racism? When have white dudes ever been the minority?"

No  it’s a component, specifically in his situation.  Why’d you cherry picked 1 thing and ignore the rest though? I’m sure you read it all lol  

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:04 PM

No  it’s a component, specifically in his situation.  Why’d you cherry picked 1 thing and ignore the rest though? I’m sure you read it all lol  

IOW, you change your argument to suit your preconceived opinions.

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:07 PM

IOW, you change your argument to suit your preconceived opinions.

No in other words you prefer straw man debates lol . I’ve explicitly stated what constitutes racism. And directly to you.  So miss me with your bs. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:08 PM

All you’d have to do is find another job and leave it behind  that doesn’t work for oppressed people  

Definitely easier to do when one doesn't externalize all one's failures and embrace a victim mentality.

Still blatant discrimination, but as far as "oppression", that's more of a perception/mindset than a reality in today's landscape.

Typically, to help people deal with or overcome being a victim, you try to empower and strengthen them.  Contrast that with how CRT is being debated in education today.  Perpetuate and increase perceptions of oppression, and indoctrinate kids from an early age - that's just fucking evil, and the people it harms are...applauding it?

Not that it matters since these kids will never reach puberty....because climate change.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login