Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:09 PM
posted by kizer permanente

No  it’s a component, specifically in his situation.  Why’d you cherry picked 1 thing and ignore the rest though? I’m sure you read it all lol  

It's a textbook case of discrimination.  You can claim that's not racism, but the courts and the law disagree with you.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:17 PM
posted by gut

It's a textbook case of discrimination.  You can claim that's not racism, but the courts and the law disagree with you.

Courts and Law don't rule on racism. They rule on racial discrimination. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:23 PM

I’ve explicitly stated what constitutes racism. And directly to you.  So miss me with your bs. 

You explicitly stated that the majority group cannot be victims of racism. That is a valid opinion that I disagree with. If you're going to be consistent, it means the majority sex cannot be victims of sexism. It can't be different from group to group.

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:28 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

You explicitly stated that the majority group cannot be victims of racism. That is a valid opinion that I disagree with. If you're going to be consistent, it means the majority sex cannot be victims of sexism. It can't be different from group to group.

No I explicitly said , and to directly to you at least once, oppression and marginalization are required for racism. You’re choosing to pretend  I didn’t and refuting other points. That’s strawman debating and weak af. You should be better than that. 

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:30 PM

No I explicitly said , and to directly to you at least once, oppression and marginalization are required for racism. You’re choosing to pretend  I didn’t and refuting other points. That’s strawman debating and weak af. You should be better than that. 

It's not, you may have said those things, but you also made the majority point. IOW, you gave three things that are required for racism, but now are pretending you only said two of them. That's called a lie and is weak af. Why are you pretending you didn't say it?

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:34 PM

It's not, you may have said those things, but you also made the majority point. Why are you pretending you didn't say it?

I’m not pretending I didn’t say it. I’m acknowledging I said it and how you’re only refuting that point. Hence the strawman. You’re a liar if you’re saying I didn’t explicitly say what’s required for racism.  Just bc  don’t agree with it, doesn’t mean you can pretend I didn’t explicitly state it. 

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:38 PM

It's not, you may have said those things, but you also made the majority point. IOW, you gave three things that are required for racism, but now are pretending you only said two of them. That's called a lie and is weak af. Why are you pretending you didn't say it?

Omfg dude lol . No I told you what’s required  for racism. I didn’t say being a minority was required. Did I? I said it was a component in his case. I have explicitly said what’s required. You ignore what I said is required bc  you prefer strawman tactics . I’m not interested in that. 

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:40 PM

I’m not pretending I didn’t say it. I’m acknowledging I said it and how you’re only refuting that point. Hence the strawman. You’re a liar if you’re saying I didn’t explicitly say what’s required for racism.  Just bc  don’t agree with it, doesn’t mean you can pretend I didn’t explicitly state it. 

If you claim that three things must be true to be racism, all of them must be true. If you change your argument to include only two, you failed to make your case.

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:41 PM

I didn’t say being a minority was required. Did I?

You absolutely did.
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:43 PM

If you claim that three things must be true to be racism, all of them must be true. If you change your argument to include only two, you failed to make your case.

I didn’t claim 3 things are required. I said what’s required. You’re claiming (wrongly) I claimed that. 

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:50 PM

My position is lack of oppression or marginalization takes away racism. Which is why there aren't any white dudes here that experience racism. 

Here’s where I explicitly said without these components, there’s no racism. You try to ignore it. Strawman tactics are weak af. Be better. 
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:53 PM

I didn’t claim 3 things are required. I said what’s required. You’re claiming (wrongly) I claimed that. 

No, you're simply telling a lie.

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:55 PM

No, you're simply telling a lie.

Ok

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 4:23 PM

lol dude.. Do we live in the same world? How could a white dude experience racism? When have white dudes ever been the minority? When have white dudes ever been marginalized? Where exactly do you live that this is the case for you? I've been a lot of places in this world and literally nowhere has this been the case. And I mean literally. No one is treating white dudes like shit in this world man lol 

Apparently you don’t live in the same world, and racism is based on skin color alone not who is a minority and who is not. And that is the actual definition of racism not some changed version where we just call it “prejudice” if it’s against whites and “racism” when it is against anyone else.

If you treat someone, especially in a negative way, solely based on their race, that’s racist even if that person is white.

Sorry if you don’t understand that.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 4:26 PM

Courts and Law don't rule on racism. They rule on racial discrimination. 

Sounds like a classic case of a distinction without a difference.

So actual, quantifiable financial harm isn't racism, but stop & frisk is?

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 4:27 PM

Ok  fair enough  where have you been that’s made existing tough because you’re a white man? 

What you described here is not the only form of racism. 

But sure, affirmative action for one. It directly affected, negatively, white males only (at first, how Asian males as well) with regards to hiring and college scholarships/admissions.

One legitimate, government sponsored, fact disproves your whole set of statements so far.

Care to move on now?

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 4:29 PM

You’re missing the point homie… it has nothing to do with peoples struggles. Of course everyone has their own struggles. Of course poor white people have it hard too. It’s why Trump won. Bc poor white people are tired of hearing how they have it better than black people. Bc it doesn’t feel like they do. But it has nothing to do with how well off you are or your personal struggles. There’s no denying that across almost the entire world, not just the US, people with black skin are perceived inferior to people with lighter skin.  When you look at business and industry, the statistical rates are undeniable.  No one likes to admit they have a head start in life. That’s why people fight tooth and nail to deny it. 

Your last paragraph is laughable at best.

As a white person try to go to Japan, China, most of Africa and try to get ahead. All of those places are extremely racist (compared to the US) and specifically towards Caucasians.

You are batting 0.000, kind of like the Quaker Oats of the other side  

Thu, Nov 4, 2021 4:30 PM
posted by jmog

Apparently you don’t live in the same world, and racism is based on skin color alone not who is a minority and who is not. And that is the actual definition of racism not some changed version where we just call it “prejudice” if it’s against whites and “racism” when it is against anyone else.

If you treat someone, especially in a negative way, solely based on their race, that’s racist even if that person is white.

Sorry if you don’t understand that.

I don’t know if anyone lives in the same world you do by past  discussions tbh lol 

the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another  

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 4:31 PM
posted by geeblock
no one is saying everyone is born with a silver spoon or that everyone hasnt overcome obstacles..but what they are saying is that one of the obstacles is not the color of your skin if you are white.  its not that hard to understand.

Does affirmative action negatively affect white males? 

Simple yes or no question.

If yes, your statement is wrong.

If no, then you don’t understand what affirmative action is.

jmog Senior Member
Thu, Nov 4, 2021 4:32 PM

You are missing everything. It's not about generalizations. like... literally doesn't have anything to do with the fact that white people... especially white dudes.. can't experience racism. Definitely not in the US. There has to be a form of oppression or marginalization to experience racism. That doesn't describe white dudes.  I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue? It doesn't seem you're very sure what you're trying to argue either, 

Tell me you don’t understand the definition of racism without telling me…

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login