Impressed by the Trump administration part II

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Nov 25, 2019 11:38 AM
posted by jmog

Here is the whole paragraph where that came from in that speech...

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

Now, is the general gist of the speech about how the government built the infrastructure (roads, education, etc) that allowed someone to build a business? yes, absolutely.

Did Obama terribly mash up that one sentence and actually say "If you have a business, you didn't build that." yes, absolutely.

He also got the intent of the internet wrong. The internet, while yes originally invented by the government, it was for national defense in a time of nuclear war. If nuclear war broke off normal communications (phones back then) how would the government stay in contact? They invented the internet.

It was invented to allow electronic communications for the government/department of defense in a time of nuclear war. It wasn't built so "all companies could make money off it" as Obama stated.

So yeah, the quote is correct when used by the right as that is actually what Obama said, but also yes, in context to the rest of the paragraph Obama meant the infrastructure around businesses.

I would also counter that roads existed before the federal government started building them. Schools existed before the federal government started regulating them. Utilities (water, electricity, etc) were run as private industries before the government took them over.

So I also disagree with his whole sentiment as well, that you wouldn't have/couldn't have succeeded if the federal government hadn't built this stuff.

I call malarky as they all (save the internet) existed before the federal government took them over. Also, the internet could have/would have been invented by private companies as well.

Your point is what I was trying to say.  His context was not suggesting that someone else built your business, but that someone else put in place the infrastructure that allowed you to suceed.  And as I said, you can agree and disagree with that for sure.  I'm not saying he is correct in making that point, only that his quote is constantly taken out of context as though he was saying something completely different.  

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 25, 2019 12:11 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Your point is what I was trying to say.  His context was not suggesting that someone else built your business, but that someone else put in place the infrastructure that allowed you to suceed.  And as I said, you can agree and disagree with that for sure.  I'm not saying he is correct in making that point, only that his quote is constantly taken out of context as though he was saying something completely different.  

To be fair, he did "gaff" by having that sentence directly saying "You own a business-you didn't build that".

He should have never had that sentence in there. He should have been more like "You own a business? Well the roads, schools, internet, etc that helps your business-you didn't build that".

He was reading off a teleprompter and a prepared speech anyway, so he is still partly to blame that his terrible sentence is "taken out of context" so often. It was not a smart thing to say that way.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 25, 2019 2:04 PM

It wasn’t someone else and it wasn’t government that put in the place the infrastructure etc.; it was taxpayers!  I am a little sick of those in government who try to take credit for projects.  Government takes taxpayer money, spends it on a project (that has an inflated price tag because government involved itself), and then acts like “they built it”.  Government didn’t build anything, and neither did obama.

Mon, Nov 25, 2019 4:58 PM
posted by QuakerOats

It wasn’t someone else and it wasn’t government that put in the place the infrastructure etc.; it was taxpayers!  I am a little sick of those in government who try to take credit for projects.  Government takes taxpayer money, spends it on a project (that has an inflated price tag because government involved itself), and then acts like “they built it”.  Government didn’t build anything, and neither did obama.

I don't think his point was that "government" built the infrastructure you (as a business owner) utilize to succeed.  I think his point was that other people (your fellow citizens) helped make those things possible.  None of us gets to where we are all by ourselves.  We have help along the way.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Nov 25, 2019 5:12 PM

Indeed.

Enjoy the record high in the market again today.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Dec 2, 2019 3:17 PM

US SOLIDIFIES ENERGY PRODUCER STATUS

The U.S. solidified its status as an energy producer by posting the first full month as a net exporter of crude and petroleum products since government records began in 1949. http://media.bishopi.com/ec.aspx?l=25414350&e=216417

Thanks barack

Mon, Dec 2, 2019 4:27 PM
posted by QuakerOats

US SOLIDIFIES ENERGY PRODUCER STATUS

The U.S. solidified its status as an energy producer by posting the first full month as a net exporter of crude and petroleum products since government records began in 1949. http://media.bishopi.com/ec.aspx?l=25414350&e=216417

Thanks barack

You keep doing this to make a point that Obama is not the reason for whatever economic benefit your highlighting.  No one one here has ever suggested he was.  The point made to you is that much of the stuff you highlight had nothing to do with Trump.  Either because it was in the works long before he came along or because presidents possibly don't have as much effect on economic daily activities than you propose.  Instead of challenging these points, you just keep making this same "thanks barack" point sarcastically.  No one said anything about Obama being responsible for any of the stories you highlight.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 2, 2019 5:34 PM
posted by jmog

I would also counter that roads existed before the federal government started building them. Schools existed before the federal government started regulating them. Utilities (water, electricity, etc) were run as private industries before the government took them over.

I mean, roads were indeed federally funded pretty early on.

Having said that, the first ones were successfully funded LONG before income tax ... a good 100+ years: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/back0103.cfm

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 3, 2019 12:54 PM

You keep doing this to make a point that Obama is not the reason for whatever economic benefit your highlighting.  No one one here has ever suggested he was.  The point made to you is that much of the stuff you highlight had nothing to do with Trump.  Either because it was in the works long before he came along or because presidents possibly don't have as much effect on economic daily activities than you propose.  Instead of challenging these points, you just keep making this same "thanks barack" point sarcastically.  No one said anything about Obama being responsible for any of the stories you highlight.

It's probably best not to disturb THE DAILY BLOWJOB, hosted by QO.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 3, 2019 2:20 PM
posted by Heretic

It's probably best not to disturb THE DAILY BLOWJOB, hosted by QO.

It's funny that he thinks we can't read Drudge on our own.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 1:37 AM
posted by gut

It's funny that he thinks we can't read Drudge on our own.

WELL IF YOU COULD MAYBE YOUD SEE THE LIGHT AND THAT WE THE PEOPLE GOT TIRED OF OBUMMER AND THE LIBTARDS AND NEEDED A STABLE GENIUS PLAYING 4D CHESS TO MAGAAAAAAAAAAAA

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 10:02 AM

It seems Drudge drank the koolaid a few months ago; maybe deep state presented him some pics or something.  Plus it has become obvious that barack paved the way for the strong economy with policies that inspired business confidence and a gusher of capex.  Give credit where credit is due.

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 12:00 PM

Hey QO, Cleveland-Cliffs just bought AK Steel for half of what it was worth when Trump took office. So how do you reconcile that terrible performance with his tariffs and promised revival of the domestic steel industry?  Could it be that his actions have little effect on industry performance? 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 1:58 PM

What was the S&P 500 market capitalization on 11/7/16; what is it today?

Be best.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:15 PM

Hey QO, Cleveland-Cliffs just bought AK Steel for half of what it was worth when Trump took office. So how do you reconcile that terrible performance with his tariffs and promised revival of the domestic steel industry?  Could it be that his actions have little effect on industry performance? 

From 2014 to 2016 the US production of steel dropped dramatically from 98 million metric tons down to 86 million metric tons per year.

Since the election in 2016, the US production of steel has gone up to 91 million metric tons in 2017 and 95 million metric tons in 2018.

I am not saying that the tarrifs are "working", but they are demonstrably no hurting the situation.

Thu, Dec 5, 2019 12:34 PM
posted by jmog

From 2014 to 2016 the US production of steel dropped dramatically from 98 million metric tons down to 86 million metric tons per year.

Since the election in 2016, the US production of steel has gone up to 91 million metric tons in 2017 and 95 million metric tons in 2018.

I am not saying that the tarrifs are "working", but they are demonstrably no hurting the situation.

I was pointing out a specific transaction to QO that seems to fly in the face of his dependable Trump flag waving.  The low price and poor performance of AK Steel - in spite of tariffs - allowed Cleveland-Cliffs to get a nice price for an acquisition.  As the Cliffs CEO said, "the tariffs have nothing to do with this".  I made the point to Quaker to just see if he might admit that the president - regardless of who he/she is - does not have quite the impact on day to day business dealings as Quaker espouses.  

In the case of this particular deal, Cliffs' CEO Lourenco Goncalves (who has a personality very similar to Trump's) is making a move to secure the supply chain of iron ore and to also diversify his customer base.  If you don't follow him, he is a really interesting guy who knows the steel industry and is good for an awesome quote every now and then.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 2:15 PM

On my way to work this morning I saw a nice pole building going up.

Thanks barack.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 2:39 PM
posted by QuakerOats

On my way to work this morning I saw a nice pole building going up.

Trump putting strippers back to work again?

Thu, Dec 5, 2019 3:13 PM

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

The guy in front of me in line at the DMV this morning audibly farted, but it didn't stink.  Whatever Trump did to make that happen, I'm grateful.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 3:28 PM

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

The guy in front of me in line at the DMV this morning audibly farted, but it didn't stink.  Whatever Trump did to make that happen, I'm grateful.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XK797-vj4k

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login