LOCKED: Browns BS Drama Continued...

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Wed, May 23, 2018 8:54 AM
posted by kizer permanente

They were never going to do that by what they were asking. They obviously didn't want to trade him since you don't know for sure when Wentz will be back 100%.

If the Browns were interested, doesn't hurt to at least take a shot. They turn you down, on to plan B (Taylor).

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, May 23, 2018 9:05 AM
posted by BR1986FB

If the Browns were interested, doesn't hurt to at least take a shot. They turn you down, on to plan B (Taylor).

by what you posted, it sounds like they did?

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, May 23, 2018 9:15 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Browns tried to trade for Nick Foles prior to signing Tyrod Taylor in FA. Browns offered the #35 pick.

They were never going to do that by what they were asking. They obviously didn't want to trade him since you don't know for sure when Wentz will be back 100%.

I have a hard time believing this and the Eagles turned this down.  Regardless, I am happy the Browns didn't waste #35 on Foles.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, May 23, 2018 9:20 AM

by what you posted, it sounds like they did?

Your quote that said "They were never going to do that by what they were asking." gave me the impression that you thought it wasn't worth at least making an offer? Regardless, I tend to agree with what like_that said about not getting Foles. If they would've landed him, I doubt they use #1 on Mayfield. TT is a serviceable stop gap but Foles would've likely been looked at as a long(er) term answer.

Wed, May 23, 2018 9:26 AM

Who gives a fuck anyway?  It didn't happen (thank god), and now we have a shot at seeing if we found a franchise QB in the draft. 

Why is this even a story?

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 23, 2018 9:27 AM

I’m glad the browns were able to exercise restraint and not pull the pricey trigger on a guy who played 3 out of his mind games. 

Wed, May 23, 2018 9:32 AM
posted by SportsAndLady

I’m glad the browns were able to exercise restraint and not pull the pricey trigger on a guy who played 3 out of his mind games. 

With a roster and system set up perfectly for him to succeed.  I think a few other serviceable backups could have done the same with that team.

Wed, May 23, 2018 9:41 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Your quote that said "They were never going to do that by what they were asking." gave me the impression that you thought it wasn't worth at least making an offer? Regardless, I tend to agree with what like_that said about not getting Foles. If they would've landed him, I doubt they use #1 on Mayfield. TT is a serviceable stop gap but Foles would've likely been looked at as a long(er) term answer.

No, just that Eagles wanted the moon for him since they'll still need him to start their season. 35th pick wasn't going to cut it.

Wed, May 23, 2018 9:42 AM
posted by like_that

Who gives a fuck anyway?  It didn't happen (thank god), and now we have a shot at seeing if we found a franchise QB in the draft. 

because it's May 23rd.

BR1986FB Senior Member
BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, May 23, 2018 2:08 PM

Potential breakout teams for 2018...

The Cleveland Browns genuinely might compete for a playoff spot in 2018 if they get consistent production at quarterback. That's an amazing thing to say about a team that lost all 16 games in 2017. 

The Browns got aggressive and reshaped their quarterback depth chart this offseason, trading for Tyrod Taylor and using the first overall pick on Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield. If Taylor can avoid turnovers and provide some consistency or Mayfield can win the job and make a Russell Wilson-like impact as a rookie, the Browns will finally have the makings of the last but most important piece of the winning puzzle. 

The rest of their roster looks set. The Browns have plenty of skill-position talent on offense and are filled to the brim with high picks at every level of the defense. Talent shouldn't be an issue for Hue Jackson's team.

It'll be up to Taylor or Mayfield to tie the entire package together. If they can, the Browns could go from 0-16 to playoff contention in the span of one season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777089-predicting-nfls-breakout-teams-of-2018?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl#slide6

Wed, May 23, 2018 2:23 PM

I feel like none of these "browns could surprise people" articles, have actually looked at the Browns schedule.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, May 23, 2018 2:27 PM
posted by like_that

I feel like none of these "browns could surprise people" articles, have actually looked at the Browns schedule.

It's really all going to come down to QB play. I think the defense will be much better and the skill positions have been upgraded.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 23, 2018 3:09 PM
posted by like_that

We don’t know how good our schedule is yet. It’s the NFL it’s impossible (outside of a few teams) to gauge how good a team is going to be, or who will be injured, or who will be benched, etc.  

like BR said, if they play well they’ll win some games. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, May 23, 2018 3:20 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

We don’t know how good our schedule is yet. It’s the NFL it’s impossible (outside of a few teams) to gauge how good a team is going to be, or who will be injured, or who will be benched, etc.  

like BR said, if they play well they’ll win some games. 

If they would've had above dog shit level QB play last year they would've won 5 or 6.

I'm not "playoff" optimistic about this team but I'm excited about the prospects because I think they will be more than watchable.

I think they make progress this season and target playoffs in 2019.

I'm optimistic because I think they have a damn good set of skill position players if everyone stays healthy and off suspension. The QB play should be light years above last year. Nothing flashy but the football should be protected. Also think they will be able to win some games ugly by controlling the clock with the running game. My biggest concern is left tackle. Other than that, this offense should be around middle of the road.

The defense should be considerably improved with a) the additions and b) the fact they won't have a turnover machine (Kizer) keeping them on the field for 2/3rds of the game.

24,621 posts 244 reps Joined May 2010
Wed, May 23, 2018 3:45 PM
posted by like_that

BC it was prob Hue Jackson that leaked the story.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, May 24, 2018 10:29 AM

Saw a video that was circulating around Facebook of the "longest TD passes since 2000 by team" and the Browns top play was a 99 yard TD pass from Jeff Garcia to Andre Davis which brought back some fond(er) memories. Then I realized that Garcia is the only QB to lead the Browns to an opening day victory since 1999 and I came back down to Earth. Uggh

Thu, May 24, 2018 11:15 AM

Josh Gordon had a 97 yder against Jacksonville as well.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login