2020 Browns

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 8:46 AM

Also, I am not going to overreact like a lot of people are, because the Browns almost lost to the Steelers with their backup QB and other all pro caliber players.   It's the NFL, we see shit like this all of the time.  Plenty of shitty teams make games competitive and sometimes pull out wins.  It wasn't too long ago that the Steelers full team lost to the Bengals (without Burrow) and barely beat a completely depleted Ravens squad. We should know better, we have supported some shitty ass teams the last 18 years and they made quite a few games competitive.   I would argue a majority of those teams had a shittier roster than what the Steelers put out yesterday.  They definitely had much shittier coaching staffs. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 8:46 AM
posted by Al Bundy

I agree with you in regards to run first and play action. I also would like to see them have baker roll out more when passing. They seem to have gotten away from that recently.

I can't imagine that Stefanski was "holding back" to save something for the playoffs (as some have suggested) as the Browns were in a must win situation yesterday. If Chubb had 8-10 more carries yesterday he likely goes for 200. Pittsburgh's defense has now surrendered 100+ yards rushing in 4 straight games. Browns almost went for 200 yesterday and even though Pittsburgh wasn't playing two key defenders (Heyward/Watt) those previous 3 games those two did play.

It's funny that I'm complaining about coaching decisions after a playoff clinching win but Stefanski's play calling in the last 2 weeks has been a bit iffy. I want to bang my head against the wall after the Browns come out of the locker room, Chubb rips off a 6 yard run, making it 2nd & 4, and they proceed to pass it the next two downs. Run it until they can stop it. Not rocket science and no need to get cute/unpredictable in some cases.

If they establish the run early, what you mentioned should work. IMO, there's no reason for Baker to be in a shotgun/empty set before 3rd down. They are just tipping their hand.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 8:50 AM
posted by like_that

Also, I am not going to overreact like a lot of people are, because the Browns almost lost to the Steelers with their backup QB and other all pro caliber players.   It's the NFL, we see shit like this all of the time.  Plenty of shitty teams make games competitive and sometimes pull out wins.  It wasn't too long ago that the Steelers full team lost to the Bengals (without Burrow) and barely beat a completely depleted Ravens squad. We should know better, we have supported some shitty ass teams the last 18 years and they made quite a few games competitive.   I would argue a majority of those teams had a shittier roster than what the Steelers put out yesterday.  They definitely had much shittier coaching staffs. 

Yep. Hearing this from a lot of Steeler fans on social media. Most of them, unlike the guys on here (Ironman/Heretic), are flat out morons with selective memory who know shit about the game. Hearing a ton of the "you barely beat our 2nd string." Guess they know how we've felt for the most part in the last 18 years when the Browns have trotted out HOFer's like Frye, McCoy, Weeden, Manziel, Kizer, Wynn, etc. Essentially, "2nd string."

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 8:54 AM
posted by like_that

My lack of confidence comes more so from the Browns, than the Steelers getting their starters back.  The Steelers are good, but they are beatable even with the rapist under center.  For the Browns, you can't count on their defense (how many times have they stopped a team from converted on 4th down this year?), so in order to win the offense is going to need to show up.  If the same Stefanski shows up this week, then this will be a blowout loss.  Do the analytics really say Hunt is more effective in the 4h quarter?  If so, they need to fire the head of the analytics team.  Chubb averages 5.6 yards per carry and has more yards after first contact vs Hunt.   Fuck the analytics, the simple math says give it to Chubb.  The eye test says it too.  Chubb is built for the 4th quarter.   The game should have never come down to a 2 pt conversion.   It was beyond me, that they kept Chubb on the sideline.  Also, if they were going to always go for it on 4th down, then why didn't they run the ball on third? 

The stat about Hunt was quoted during the game yesterday.

I agree on the defense. After the game I saw the end of the Titans/Texans game and Houston tied it only to give up a lollipop floater of a bomb, setting up the game winning FG. I told my girlfriend "that's why I'm glad Baker got that 1st down because if Pittsburgh got that ball back I could see that happening to the Browns.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 11:05 AM

Mayfield thought the play call to have him run was a joke...

https://sports.yahoo.com/baker-mayfield-thought-final-play-230209571.html

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 12:49 PM

Vernon out for the season with achilles.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 108 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 12:55 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Vernon out for the season with achilles.

Damn.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 9:05 PM
posted by Laley23

11 wins and a playoff berth. The rest is gravy this season. Looking forward to next week for the first time in forever.

Poured my first playoff clinching beer ever. And I’m 34. Sheesh.

What I think is interesting about your first comments are that I think the script has flipped for this game. Yesterday, the Steelers were playing with house money. Lose and no big deal. Win and it's a major bonus. The pressure was solely on the Browns not to blow it to Pittsburgh's backups and they looked like they were playing a bit tight to me.

Fast forward to Sunday night and your "gravy" comment. Playoffs are house money for the Browns. They may have had playoff expectation internally but nobody else did. I had them at 7-9. Now they are playing with house money and all of the pressure is on the Steelers to not lose at home to the "lowly" Browns that they think they own. Should be interesting to see how these teams come out.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 4, 2021 9:18 PM

Dan Orlovsky has been a Baker Mayfield supporter but this preseason prediction may make him a prophet...

GOONx19 An exceptional poster.
7,413 posts 94 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 12:26 AM

I know, YPC isn’t “analytics”, but Chubb averages 7 yards per carry in the 2nd half, versus 4.3 for Hunt. (4.5 and 4.2 in the 1st half, respectively).

Source: https://www.nfl.com/players/kareem-hunt/stats/situational

https://www.nfl.com/players/nick-chubb/stats/situational

Tue, Jan 5, 2021 12:40 AM
posted by GOONx19

I know, YPC isn’t “analytics”, but Chubb averages 7 yards per carry in the 2nd half, versus 4.3 for Hunt. (4.5 and 4.2 in the 1st half, respectively).

Source: https://www.nfl.com/players/kareem-hunt/stats/situational

https://www.nfl.com/players/nick-chubb/stats/situational

Sometimes simple math is all you need vs analytics.

I.E. Analytics probably told Carroll to pass, but simple math (and eye test) said to give the ball to  Lynch. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 11:10 AM

Disaster. Stefanski, 2 other coaches, and 2 other players have tested positive for Covid. 

Edit: It's a TE coach and a DB coach. And the players are an OL and a WR. MKC (yes I know she sucks) said that one of those is a "significant" player. Alex Van Pelt gonna call plays, Preifer will be acting HC.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 11:30 AM
posted by iclfan2

Disaster. Stefanski, 2 other coaches, and 2 other players have tested positive for Covid. 

Interesting on Stefanski. This will be the second time he's had it. Hopefully Callahan is cleared because he has head coaching experience. 

EDIT: ST's coach Mike Priefer will be the acting HC.

Tue, Jan 5, 2021 11:33 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Interesting on Stefanski. This will be the second time he's had it. Hopefully Callahan is cleared because he has head coaching experience.

Are you sure he wasn't part of the false positive group before? Otherwise he'd be one of the only people ever to test positive (confirmed) twice. 

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 11:56 AM

Bitonio and Hodge are the players.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 12:40 PM
posted by iclfan2

Are you sure he wasn't part of the false positive group before? Otherwise he'd be one of the only people ever to test positive (confirmed) twice. 

He said he had it in March/April in one of his Zoom conferences. Sucks about Bitonio. Need to have someone like Watt or TheRapist test positive so they postpone it.

Gardens35 Senior Member
5,888 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 12:50 PM

Since they played each other this past weekend I won't be suprised to see more positives from both teams later this week.

Tue, Jan 5, 2021 1:06 PM
posted by Gardens35

Since they played each other this past weekend I won't be suprised to see more positives from both teams later this week.

I don't think there has been any confirmed spread between opponents yet this year. I could see more Browns testing positive though. Really sucks for Bitonio who has been here forever, finally make the playoffs, and then can't play. 

Tue, Jan 5, 2021 1:07 PM
posted by BR1986FB

He said he had it in March/April in one of his Zoom conferences. Sucks about Bitonio. Need to have someone like Watt or TheRapist test positive so they postpone it.

I said the same thing to my friends.  If the Steelers or Ravens have this issue, the playoffs would be pushed back a week. 
BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 5, 2021 1:49 PM
posted by like_that
I said the same thing to my friends.  If the Steelers or Ravens have this issue, the playoffs would be pushed back a week. 

Especially a key player

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login