2018 Ohio State Basketball

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 7, 2019 4:40 PM

Apparently the big time coaches strongly recommending him get to a prep school ASAP and just 35 miles away is one of the top ones of late (I assume started by Calipari/Pitino)....kid is leaving his team mid season and folks in Gallipolis aren’t taking it well lol.

Going to this Huntington Prep I feel he’ll be going to Louisville 

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 9, 2019 9:32 PM

That is, uhhh, not a good loss.

wkfan Senior Member
1,850 posts 13 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 10, 2019 11:30 AM

When tournament seeding times comes, this will be the 'bad loss' that will be hung on Ohio State

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 10, 2019 12:27 PM
posted by Laley23

That is, uhhh, not a good loss.

Hard to get much worse, especially considering Rutgers' best player got hurt early on and only played 7 minutes. But when you don't actually play offense and show as much flow and cohesiveness as a beginners' youth league, that will happen. The kind of shit they better sort out quickly because it's not like there are many supposedly easy games in the conference this year.

FatHobbit Senior Member
9,058 posts 68 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 10, 2019 1:50 PM

It will be interesting to see how they respond @Iowa

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Jan 19, 2019 10:17 AM

Damn, they be in a freefall right now. Really looking like a lower-division team with the way Maryland just pulled away from them after they got within one early in the second half. They don't look remotely like the same team they were for the first few games of the season. Where you see talent out there, but the "it" factor is nowhere to be seen.

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 19, 2019 10:29 AM

^^^sorry, but I don’t see a whole lot of high level ‘talent’ out there right now... that being said, the cavalry’s on it’s way—there’s mucho of that talent coming in next year 

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Jan 19, 2019 11:03 AM

Maybe not so much high level talent, but more talent than what they've been showing the last couple weeks. You look at some of their early games and compare it to now, there's something missing now confidence-wise where they go through stretches where they have no offensive flow. Like, I wouldn't expect this team to be up there with UM and MSU, but I also am surprised by four straight losses and how out of rhythm they've looked for long stretches during those games. Coming into the year, I was thinking they'd be about .500 in league play, maybe a bit better; now, they're looking like a team destined to be 6-14 or so.

Wed, Jan 23, 2019 7:34 PM

Purdont can’t play any worse, yet they’re up 20-18 with 7:30 to go in 1st half...gonna be a looong season for our b-ball Buckeyes 

slingshot4ever Senior Member
4,535 posts 21 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 23, 2019 9:22 PM

This team will be lucky to make the NIT....dissapointing

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Jan 24, 2019 3:34 PM

Random observations from watching the game with friends last night.

1. Andre, at least, was lights out shooting the ball. Too bad he didn't have much help. And, also too bad, it'll possibly be 4-5 more games before he hits double figures again because no one on this game is particularly consistent on a game-by-game basis. But last night, he was really good and pretty much the sole reason they were in the game as long as they were.

2. Kaleb, on the other hand, is purely lost right now on every level. While some of the fouls I've seen called on him are ticky-tick, some of them are stupid as hell on his part. The one where he was at the three-point line, put the ball down and tried to drive, flat-out running over a Purdue player was just mind-boggling in the "what the hell was going through your mind?!??" sort of way. Seems the instant he gets one foul, he'll get 2-3 more in quick succession and when you can't count on your supposed top player to be on the court for any length of time, you're in trouble.

3. It probably says a lot about where the team is now that my most enjoyable moment in the game happened on that one play late in the first half where Carson Edwards fired a pass to a teammate just beyond half court and that guy wasn't paying attention, so the ball ricocheted off his chest and went out of bounds. The look of pure disgust on Edwards' face as he stared at that guy for a full second before remembering he better follow the ball to make sure Luther didn't have a chance to make a play on it and get a lay-up was priceless.

4. The worst aspect: Long stretches where there is no flow on offense. Guys not moving without the ball and waiting around for something to happen, leading to too many turnovers and too many instances of someone having to try hero ball because there is 3 seconds on the shot clock and no options other than "force something up".

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Jan 26, 2019 12:22 PM

A turnover every 1.5 minutes isn't a good recipe, guyz!!!

cat_lover Senior Member
3,629 posts 44 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 27, 2019 1:21 PM

Too many turnovers but they did regroup and get a quality road win. 70-60 over Nebraska.

FatHobbit Senior Member
Thu, Jan 31, 2019 1:55 PM

I'm not too surprised they lost to Michigan

Realistically, what remaining games do they have a shot at? 

Rutgers - can win 

Psu - can win

@IU - maybe

Illinois - can win 

@MSU - loss 

Northwestern - can win

@Maryland - loss 

Iowa - maybe

@Purdue - loss 

@Northwestern - maybe

Wisconsin - maybe

Imho 4 winnable games, 3 losses and 4 tossups. If they can split the tossups,  they will finish 6-5 with a total record of 19-12 and a B1G record of 9-11. Not great but better than they looked when they lost 5 in a row. 

Do they have a shot to make the NCAA tournament if they can win a few games in the B1G tournament? 

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Jan 31, 2019 2:20 PM
posted by FatHobbit

I'm not too surprised they lost to Michigan

Realistically, what remaining games do they have a shot at? 

Rutgers - can win 

Psu - can win

@IU - maybe

Illinois - can win 

@MSU - loss 

Northwestern - can win

@Maryland - loss 

Iowa - maybe

@Purdue - loss 

@Northwestern - maybe

Wisconsin - maybe

Imho 4 winnable games, 3 losses and 4 tossups. If they can split the tossups,  they will finish 6-5 with a total record of 19-12 and a B1G record of 9-11. Not great but better than they looked when they lost 5 in a row. 

Do they have a shot to make the NCAA tournament if they can win a few games in the B1G tournament? 

Way I look at things, they have to win at minimum, three of the next four and preferably all of them. If not, there's no way they'll be getting those other toss-ups and they'd likely be toast. If they finish 9-11 in the conference, they're likely in the NCAA as long as they don't open the B1G tournament with an ugly loss. Without getting some sort of good win in there, it might be in a play-in game, but I'd think they'd be in in some capacity.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Feb 2, 2019 2:23 PM

Overall, they looked good today. Avenged a loss and led by double digits (give or take) most of the way. Kaleb, Jackson and Woods all had good games, which is good since none of those three had been doing much for a while. Gotta build on that and keep winning for a while, as they're in a stretch of weaker opponents they need to take advantage of.

FatHobbit Senior Member
Mon, Feb 4, 2019 4:43 PM

Just for kicks today I started looking at the schedules of the teams ahead of OSU to see if they have a chance to move up the standings. 

Minnesota 5 tough games. They have a chance to pass Minnesota 

Plays Wisconsin, @msu,  Michigan, Purdue and @Maryland

Iowa 2 tough games.  I don't think they can catch Iowa

Plays Maryland and @Wisconsin

Maryland 4 tough games, probably can't catch Maryland

Plays Purdue, @Michigan, @Iowa and Michigan

Wisconsin 3 tough games, probably can't catch Wisconsin

Plays @Michigan, MSU and iowa

Purdue 1 tough game, no chance OSU can catch them

Plays @Maryland

MSU 3 tough games, no chance

Plays @Wisconsin, @Michigan and Michigan

Michigan 4 tough games, still no chance

Plays Maryland, MSU, @Maryland and @MSU

Realistically, if the wheels don't fall off completely, they have a chance of passing Minnesota in the standings and that's about it. 

FatHobbit Senior Member
Fri, Feb 8, 2019 12:34 AM

Squeaked by Penn st and Wesson fouled out again. I guess a win is a win...

Fri, Feb 8, 2019 7:45 AM

didn't watch it, but son texted me saying "ugly, ugly win"...and as far as Wesson goes, he might not be getting any breaks like many have said, but he brings a lot on himself--he has the worst feet of any big man in recent memory (and that includes Amir Williams)

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Feb 8, 2019 12:02 PM
posted by vball10set

didn't watch it, but son texted me saying "ugly, ugly win"...and as far as Wesson goes, he might not be getting any breaks like many have said, but he brings a lot on himself--he has the worst feet of any big man in recent memory (and that includes Amir Williams)

It was ugly. We were fortunate that Young got back from his stress fracture (surprised me; the last I'd heard was that he was still a ways from being cleared), since he hit the go-ahead bucket. One of those "better to win ugly than lose to that team" games, since I'd pretty much have to kill off any remaining optimism if they lost at home to the worst team in the league on the night where they honored their football team (ie: should have been fired up, especially considering the success PSU had against them last year).

As for Wesson, I agree. To me, he doesn't anticipate well and does a lot of reacting, leading to him getting a couple stupid fouls per game and also getting called for a couple really ticky-tack ones. And after some of that, it gets in his head, compounding the problem even worse.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login