WCAL 2018

oldsmithie Senior Member
404 posts 6 reps Joined Aug 2011
Tue, Aug 14, 2018 4:56 PM

Does not seem like much action going on with this site! Four new head coaches join the league this year for Dalton, Hillsdale, Rittman and Smithville.

beverboy1 GO BULLDOGS
515 posts 5 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 19, 2018 3:21 PM

Dalton looks to be 500 this year . A lot of youth going to be on the field .

green machine Junior Member
19 posts 5 reps Joined Aug 2017
Tue, Aug 21, 2018 1:32 AM

Smithville has not looked good at all in the scrimmages. The secondary has been horrendous and our offense turned the ball over a total of seven times in the two scrimmages.Four interceptions in the first scrimmage and three fumbles in the second. The offensive and defensive line seem to be improved over last year. We could run the ball decently when we weren't fumbling. And we stop the run very well but the pass defense is a whole other story.

oldsmithie Senior Member
Tue, Aug 21, 2018 1:52 PM

Yes it looks like it could be a long season of growing pains for the green and white!! Chippewa seems to be loaded this season. Bobcats should be tough again also!! 

oldsmithie Senior Member
Tue, Aug 28, 2018 4:17 PM

Well only 2 WCAL teams won this past Friday. Hillsdale and Rittman were victorious. Bobcats lost a squeaker to Moggy, Smithies got hammered by East Canton, Huskies and Chipps lost to very good teams, Dalton and Waynedale lost to mediocre teams. 

Wed, Aug 29, 2018 3:29 AM

I think East Canton is very good team too. Norwayne is by far the best WCAL team, would have  their hands full with East Canton.   I look for a lot of WCAL teams that lost last week to rebound this week.   

oldsmithie Senior Member
Wed, Sep 5, 2018 4:25 PM

Dont get on this site very often, but I got to see Smithville in person and wow what a BAD team this year. The offense is awful!!!!!! no running game and no passing game. 81 yards in total offense for the game against Triway!  Smithville has never gone 0-10 in 63 years of football but that could change this season. I thought we had a veteran line coming back? run blocking was bad and pass protection was even worse. I have been a life long Smithie fan but probably will not attend any more of the Smithie games this season. 

Mon, Sep 10, 2018 9:56 AM

Well another week of hardly any offense by the Smithville smithies. I just wonder how long it will take until Coach Baker decides to make some Personnel changes? We have six completions in three games and five interceptions that's not good. How much more of this do we have to watch until there are changes? Our defense played very well. Are only points that came off a blocked punt when number 62 blocked it picked it up and ran it in for a touchdown. I just hate to see the seniors suffer through a season like thiswhen I think a few changes could really improve things. But would these changes get us into the playoffs?... Absolutely not, but I think we could maybe get 4 wins the rest of the way. If no changes are made, we very well may be the first team in 63 years at Smithville to go 0-10.

oldsmithie Senior Member
Thu, Sep 13, 2018 4:07 PM

I went to the Rittman game last week and sorry to say, the Indians are a better team than Smithville this year! I think Smithville goes winless this season as Rittman was the only win I had our schedule and now that seems impossible!! Not sure who you (green machine) thinks we would beat in the league this year? It appears to me that after this week it will be over for the Smithies and they will be on the losing end of some lopsided scores. 

Sat, Sep 15, 2018 1:08 PM

To answer your question one of the teams I thought we could beat was Rittman and we did 10 to 6. I still think we have big time issues on offense. We ran the ball very well number 23 had a hundred and sixty-three yards rushing. We still cannot throw. We have issues at the quarterback position and wide receiver positions which are not being addressed and until they address those I'm not sure how many more games we can win. I thought over the last two games are secondary has improved greatly. The first two games we couldn't cover anybody. Our defense played phenomenal last night and they played very good against Crestwood as well. With Norwayne on the horizon I hope they don't lose the confidence that they have gained. Because I do think next Friday will be ugly

oldsmithie Senior Member
Sun, Sep 16, 2018 11:30 AM

Yes I was at the game and the teams were pretty evenly matched, thank God Smithville has a kicking game. I still think Smithville has many problems and too many mistakes that kill drives. I my opinion Rittman finishes last in the league and Smithville will be just ahead of them. The Norwayne game this week will be UGLY and they will name the score. 

oldsmithie Senior Member
Fri, Oct 5, 2018 7:25 AM

Well it seems that I have been chatting with myself! lol.  Smithville at Dalton tonight! I remember when this game meant something! The battles I have witnessed over the years!!! many times deciding the Championship. Oh how the times have changed!! Smithville, Dalton and Waynedale are now bottom dwellers in the WCAL they were once known as the Big Three. 

Sat, Oct 6, 2018 5:27 PM
posted by oldsmithie

Well it seems that I have been chatting with myself! lol.  Smithville at Dalton tonight! I remember when this game meant something! The battles I have witnessed over the years!!! many times deciding the Championship. Oh how the times have changed!! Smithville, Dalton and Waynedale are now bottom dwellers in the WCAL they were once known as the Big Three. 

Smithville's offense is awful. The coaching staff has done nothing but sit and watch it fail for 7 straight games. The QB has thrown 13 ints in 7 games many of them in the redzone while we were driving for a score. He also has 5 for 6 fumbles lost with 2 of them in the redzone. Some people want to blame the line for the QB miscues and thats fine but there have been no changes there except for an injury and line performance only got worse. Its frustrating watching this, as the coaching staff does nothing to try to make it better. We can't be any worse so why not try a different scheme or different personnel? Its ridiculous to just do nothing and watch our offense make miscues every time we get a good drive going.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login