Ohio State Basketball 2019/20 thread

cat_lover Senior Member
3,629 posts 44 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 14, 2020 6:20 PM

Luther Muhamed and Dwayne Washington suspended for tonight's game against Nebraska for not meeting program expectations.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 23, 2020 11:11 PM

Has anyone ever been ranked #1 and miss the NCAA since it expanded to 64?

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 24, 2020 10:16 AM
posted by Laley23

Has anyone ever been ranked #1 and miss the NCAA since it expanded to 64?

Well, Ohio State peaked at #2, so that won't happen!

But, yeah, they've fallen off a cliff. Too many turnovers and I have to say that he might have lost weight and gotten in better shape, but Kaleb has also transformed into a really soft, finesse player. Big 10 has a lot of teams that play physical and bang and he's out there, happy to shoot 3s and flip up hooks. 1-10 last night and 44% for the year is just unacceptable for a talented post player who's supposed to be the team's leader. I mean, it's cool he isn't constantly in foul trouble like last year, but it just feels like the offensive fouls he was getting called for all the time last year affected him mentally and he's not the same player offensively as far as aggression goes. And if that doesn't change, the team's current play isn't going to get better because they are over-depending on the three-ball and simply aren't good enough at shooting them consistently to be able to be that dependent on them.

wkfan Senior Member
1,850 posts 13 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 24, 2020 11:23 AM
posted by Heretic

But, yeah, they've fallen off a cliff. Too many turnovers and I have to say that he might have lost weight and gotten in better shape, but Kaleb has also transformed into a really soft, finesse  LAZY player. Big 10 has a lot of teams that play physical and bang and he's out there, happy to shoot MISS 3s and flip up hooks. 1-10 last night and 44% for the year is just unacceptable for a talented post player who's supposed to be the team's leader. I mean, it's cool he isn't constantly in foul trouble like last year, but it just feels like the offensive fouls he was getting called for all the time last year affected him mentally and he's not the same player offensively as far as aggression goes. And if that doesn't change, the team's current play isn't going to get better because they are over-depending on the three-ball and simply aren't good enough at shooting them consistently to be able to be that dependent on them.

FIFY

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Jan 24, 2020 2:39 PM

Won't deny the LAZY, at least as far as offense goes, but even after going 0-3 from 3 last night, he's still over 40%, so he is a good shooter. My problem is that, to me, being good at 3P shooting should be a supplement to his post game and instead, he's making it the core element of his game. About gives me the impression that he feels his basketball future is more of a wing or finesse 4 than an actual post player and he's getting acclimated to that now, even though that style of play isn't a good fit for the B1G. And, even worse, it doesn't even really seem to work well with his team. If you're playing outside as a post, in theory that should free up space in the inside for other guys to drive to the hoop, but with a couple exceptions (mainly Carton and Walker), driving and shooting isn't something that is seen often because most of their guards and wings are happy to just pass it around a bit and throw up a three.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jan 24, 2020 10:04 PM
posted by Heretic

Net Rank... lol

wildcats20 In ROY I Trust!!
29,653 posts 76 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 30, 2020 10:26 PM

DJ Carton taking a leave of absence from the program to address mental health issues. Hope he gets the help he needs and is able to come back. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Jan 31, 2020 1:25 PM

As good as late 2019 was for Ohio State overall, the way the year ended with the FB loss to Clemson followed immediately by MBB losing to West Virginia seems to have them a bit cursed basketball-wise now, with the slump, the 1-game suspensions and now this.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sun, Feb 2, 2020 12:56 PM

While 2020 has been a shitty year for the team in general, I will say that they have been respectable at handling legit player status adversity. Their win over (I think) Nebraska was the game where Washington and Muhammad were suspended and they beat Indiana yesterday in their first game with Carton out. Overall a good effort in a game that probably really wasn't as close as the final score indicated with Ahrens giving great bench minutes and Walker doing good at the point. And Kaleb was more interested in scoring inside than popping threes, which was a win in itself.

cat_lover Senior Member
3,629 posts 44 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Feb 4, 2020 9:53 PM

OSU 61
U of M 58
Hail Yes!!
Go Bucks!!

wkfan Senior Member
1,850 posts 13 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 5, 2020 8:08 AM

Happy that OSU got the win, but not really much to cheer about otherwise.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Wed, Feb 5, 2020 1:53 PM

Good win in that they were able to close out a tight game on the road in the league, which is something that's been very lacking with them in 2020.

I do have to wonder just how refs are officiating games, as last night was kind of hilarious. Players were beating the shit out of each other inside with nothing being called...and then they'd whistle some ticky-tack bump outside where you likely never even noticed any sort of actual contact while watching it.

FatHobbit Senior Member
9,058 posts 68 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 1:29 PM
posted by Heretic

Good win in that they were able to close out a tight game on the road in the league, which is something that's been very lacking with them in 2020.

Agree. Any win at Michigan is a good win. This team was struggling and they didn't give up. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sun, Mar 1, 2020 7:23 PM

They've done a great job of rebounding from their horrible January. Gone from 1-6 or so in conference play to 10-8 and at least having some sort of chance for a top-four seed in the conference tournament, since if they win their final two games, it'd be two wins over teams currently in front of them.

They've really done good at gelling together. With the way they had been slumping combined with all the minor injuries taking guys out for a couple games, as well as Carton's absence, it would have been easy to fold, but they've rallied to start looking like some sort of contender again. Well, at least a contender to get past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament for the first time in a while. Don't know if they have the depth or consistency for an extended run

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Mar 19, 2020 2:45 PM

Carton enters transfer portal.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login