2019 Pittsburgh Pirates --- everyone else in the division is in drive, we're in neutral

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 31, 2019 3:33 PM

As someone living in north central Ohio, I'm excited about all the Pirates news I'll be hearing in the area now that they signed Galion's own J.B. Shuck. At least for the couple weeks before they hopefully release him because that dude sucks as a MLB player. How the fuck can you have an OPS of under .500 for a season AND STILL BE CONSIDERED EMPLOYABLE? That's as hilarious as it is sad.

Oh, the answer to the first half the question is by having a 192/231/255 slash line. The second half...who knows, man, who fucking knows.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 31, 2019 4:53 PM

Pirates might be just enough to battle with Reds for last....but I’m feeling real good about the Reds.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 108 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jan 31, 2019 5:35 PM

I'll be checking in here to see what is said about my third favorite team.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Feb 1, 2019 1:36 PM
posted by Ironman92

Pirates might be just enough to battle with Reds for last....but I’m feeling real good about the Reds.

They have a potentially really good starting rotation (assuming people stay healthy, as there isn't much depth) with Taillon, Williams, Musgrove and Archer (also assuming Archer can start looking like what he used to be...like I said, "potentially"), some good back-end pieces in the bullpen and a few good fielding/offensive pieces. But so much is being placed on younger or unproven players like Newman and that Gonzalez obtained from Cleveland, a lot of guys that good seasons are needed from have had injury issues or haven't played much recently for other reasons (Kang) and I don't see them having the overall depth to be able to overcome injuries. They could be at least on the periphery of the wild card race if everything goes well, but if stuff starts going wrong, it could be a long season.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 1, 2019 2:13 PM
posted by Heretic

As someone living in north central Ohio, I'm excited about all the Pirates news I'll be hearing in the area now that they signed Galion's own J.B. Shuck. At least for the couple weeks before they hopefully release him because that dude sucks as a MLB player. How the fuck can you have an OPS of under .500 for a season AND STILL BE CONSIDERED EMPLOYABLE? That's as hilarious as it is sad.

Oh, the answer to the first half the question is by having a 192/231/255 slash line. The second half...who knows, man, who fucking knows.

I could put up an OPS of under .500 for much less money.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Feb 1, 2019 2:27 PM
posted by justincredible

I could put up an OPS of under .500 for much less money.

Lol, so could I. I think the best thing about his stat line is just how horrible it is across the board.

.192 -- can't hit for shit

.231 -- when hits, it's probably a single

.255 -- doesn't even draw that many walks

And then you add in minor details such as how he's more adequate than really good in the field and doesn't have game-changing speed and it's actually sort of incredible that there was any desire for his services.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 108 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Nobody for us was sorry to see Gonzalez go. Pretty vanilla. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Sat, Feb 2, 2019 3:37 PM

The way the mlb revenue works teams have no incentive to win. They still get paid weather they win or lose. Many teams don’t even come within 100 mil of the 206 mill cap. That money goes right in their pocket. As I pirate fan this is going to be another disappointing year. I hope some young guys can pan out. The organization knows that people will show up either way so until the fans boycott games I doubt much will change.  The reds seem to be making some positive moves I’m happy for their fans

Heretic Son of the Sun
Mon, Feb 4, 2019 11:45 AM
posted by geeblock

The way the mlb revenue works teams have no incentive to win. They still get paid weather they win or lose. Many teams don’t even come within 100 mil of the 206 mill cap. That money goes right in their pocket. As I pirate fan this is going to be another disappointing year. I hope some young guys can pan out. The organization knows that people will show up either way so until the fans boycott games I doubt much will change.  The reds seem to be making some positive moves I’m happy for their fans

Well, I know there was a decline in attendance last year from previous ones. Going from a perennial playoff contender for a few years to a team that dumped off Cole and Cutch for young guys (even if a few of them look like they'll be contributors) does have an effect on fan enthusiasm. I know it took a little while for me to really get into the season because last off-season was just demoralizing. By comparison, this one is just boring. Get a couple of Cleveland's platoon/bench guys to be platoon/bench guys for us and, uh, do about nothing else of note unless we live in a world where "getting motherfucking Jordan Lyles" counts as something.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Mon, Feb 4, 2019 5:18 PM

OH BOY!!!! They re-signed Francisco Liriano to a minor league contract with a bunch of incentives!!!! I mean, his career hasn't been much of anything since 2015, but yeah, it's a signing. Of sorts.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Mar 28, 2019 12:44 PM

In news that should shock no one who has followed the Cleveland Indians in recent years, Lonnie Chisenhall WILL start the season on the DL after breaking a hand a bit ago during the exhibition part of the season.

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Mar 28, 2019 2:01 PM
posted by Heretic

In news that should shock no one who has followed the Cleveland Indians in recent years, Lonnie Chisenhall WILL start the season on the DL after breaking a hand a bit ago during the exhibition part of the season.

lol---death, taxes, and Chiz/Salazar/Kipnis on the DL

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Mar 28, 2019 4:22 PM

And Starling Marte not starting due to migraine, so it's fucking Shuck starting in CF.

FML...

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Mar 29, 2019 1:05 PM

Takeaway from yesterday: Clint still keeps pitchers in for one batter too long. Giving up the homer to lead off the seventh is one thing, but keeping Taillon in after walking the next batter probably shouldn't have happened. Giving up the homer was all Rodriguez, but Taillon shouldn't have been allowed to give up the double that made it second and third with no one out.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Fri, Mar 29, 2019 4:37 PM

The faster the fall, the quicker Pittsburgh can trade Dickerson to Cleveland.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Mar 29, 2019 4:57 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

The faster the fall, the quicker Pittsburgh can trade Dickerson to Cleveland.

What if you're in sell-mode by that point because, no matter how good the pitching is, averaging 1.2 runs per game isn't gonna win that many?

Heretic Son of the Sun
Mon, Apr 1, 2019 1:46 PM

With how St. Louis is trying to contend, with acquiring Goldschmidt and all, I wonder how long they'll be willing to send out past-his-prime Wainwright. Especially if his first inning today, where he walked three and gave up a 2-run double and three overall runs against the Pirates, is indicative of just where he's at by this stage of his career. He used to be a star, but 2014 (his last good full year) is a long time ago and he's not been good at all since the handful of games he pitched in '15.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Apr 1, 2019 6:12 PM

Brutal home opener

Heretic Son of the Sun
Tue, Apr 2, 2019 2:01 AM

I think a JV high school team would have done better with fundamentals than they did down the stretch. Some of those plays...amateur hour shit.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Apr 4, 2019 6:21 PM

After another shitty loss last night, Pittsburgh moves on to a rematch with the Reds in a "one of these sets of fucks has to win their second game TONIGHT!!!!" contest.

Which means it'll be tied into extra innings and either be suspended after 20 or so, or rain will pop up. At least that's as likely as either team actually winning...

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Apr 4, 2019 8:56 PM
posted by Heretic

After another shitty loss last night, Pittsburgh moves on to a rematch with the Reds in a "one of these sets of fucks has to win their second game TONIGHT!!!!" contest.

Which means it'll be tied into extra innings and either be suspended after 20 or so, or rain will pop up. At least that's as likely as either team actually winning...

Got a chance for that still

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login