Cleveland Browns 2023 Season Thread

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 108 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jan 13, 2024 11:03 PM

I had a bad feeling about this game from the time that I heard what the playoff setup was.

But I wanted to be positive, so I kept quiet about it. 

And, here, it was even worse than what I thought. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 14, 2024 11:01 AM

After six decades we are quite accustomed to it.  

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 14, 2024 2:59 PM

Hopefully they can make the necessary steps to get better. They have some solid pieces, but they also have a lot of question marks. There are many key players coming back from injury, but no one can know if they will be at the same level. Hopefully the Deshaun Watson project gets better than what we have seen so far. The roster is lacking depth in many key positions. It remains to be seen if the coaching staff will lose any key parts. In this league, you need to keep getting better, or you can fall fast (I'm old enough to remember the 1981 Browns when everyone was expecting Superbowl after the magical 1980 season, and it ended up 5-11)

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 14, 2024 3:08 PM
posted by Al Bundy

Hopefully they can make the necessary steps to get better. They have some solid pieces, but they also have a lot of question marks. There are many key players coming back from injury, but no one can know if they will be at the same level. Hopefully the Deshaun Watson project gets better than what we have seen so far.

I don't know.  They gave up A LOT in money and picks for Watson.  Window probably starts closing for them after next year.  Mortgaged the farm for Watson because they thought QB was the missing piece.

Right now, CLE sits at 27th with negative $14M in cap space.  Basically to improve their roster they have to hit homeruns with their R2 and R3 draft picks.

Al Bundy Senior Member
Sun, Jan 14, 2024 3:45 PM
posted by gut

I don't know.  They gave up A LOT in money and picks for Watson.  Window probably starts closing for them after next year.  Mortgaged the farm for Watson because they thought QB was the missing piece.

Right now, CLE sits at 27th with negative $14M in cap space.  Basically to improve their roster they have to hit homeruns with their R2 and R3 draft picks.

I agree with you that the Watson trade put the franchise in a bad spot, not only are we in a salary cap mess, we don't have first round picks heading into years 1, 2, and 3 of their rookie deals (the years where you often maximize value vs. salary cap expense). I imagine that they will cut some veterans or try to renegotiate some deals to improve the cap number (or at least kick that can down the road). 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Sun, Jan 14, 2024 8:27 PM

Pretty much as I expected but didn't think they'd get boat raced.

I'm not necessarily as optimistic as some, going forward. Left tackle needs replaced, still some uncertainty at the guard position as to whether they both will still be with the club and god knows what they will get out of Chubb, if they keep him. Ford isn't a RB1 and Hunt will be gone. Outside of Cooper, cupboard is pretty bare at WR, and do they get rid of him as a coat savings? Elijah Moore isn't it. Tillman & Bell are possession guys. Not to mention Deshaun Watson. A lot wonder if he will return to form while I'm concerned he'll never be the same again as recovery from those injuries can be dicey.

On defense, outside of JOK they have no LB speed Will need another DE as Smith will likely be gone. I really like Alex Wright's upside but is he a full-time starter? Secondary is fine, when healthy.

As far as comments on the Houston game, everything they needed to do (rush the passer) and not do (turn over the ball for easy points) fell into place for the Texans. The Houston OC crafted a masterful game plan, taking advantage of the Browns overly aggressive defense. Looked like the Browns thought they could just show up and move to the next round.

Piece of advice for Stefanski, any time you play the Texans you might as well make Myles Garrett a healthy scratch as Tunsil owns him and he's a no show.

Could tell by the body language of Flacco that they were done as soon as the Browns got jobbed on the blatant pass interference on Njoku. Wouldn't have changed the outcome, as the Browns defense couldn't stop a CYO team yesterday, but it seemed to deflate them like "here we go again" (with the refs).

Has anyone seen so many backyard broken/schoolyard plays surrendered by a defense? Against the Steelers it was Pickens, yesterday the TE, and on & on.

Appreciate what Flacco did in his short time here as, without him, this team doesn't sniff the playoffs, but sometimes when you dance with the devil, you get burned (costly turnovers). A young Joe Flacco would be the perfect marriage with Stefanski. KS's offense is tailor made for Flacco....Watson, not so much.

Great/magical season and my thoughts were IF they got past that opening round they'd have a shot to make it to the SB. Unfortunately, I didn't think they'd get past Houston.  In my lifetime, having seen Red Right 88, the Drive, the Fumble, etc I felt this was the best chance a Browns team had to win it all and they fell flat. 

Al Bundy Senior Member
Sun, Jan 14, 2024 10:55 PM

One of the worst things about this loss is that we gave Houston the picks that they traded to move up and get Stroud. To top it off, they get our first round pick again. 

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 15, 2024 4:58 PM

I disagree with the state of the Browns moving forward. A lot of their cap hits are easily converted as they are to players who are gonna get extensions or wont be cut. Myles, Watson, Bitonio, etc. 

I think they have 3 areas of immediate need this offseason. LT (especially if they can find a trade partner for Wills), more LB speed, DL depth, and WR. 

They are older in some spots, and that makes it very dangerous to rely on injury luck. But there is no way it can be as bad as this season. Chubb returning to 100% is not a given, obviously, but his bounce back will be key. The line was better on rushing plays than the numbers say, because Ford sucks. It will open up so much more of the offense if Watson has a reliable running game and threat of RB.

Tue, Jan 16, 2024 3:40 PM

I dont know if they will take a WR with heir first pick. But there are some good ones that should be available. I would love Thrash out of Louisville. One of the better route runners in CFB, and then learning from Cooper could develop even further in the NFL. Polk from Washington, Leggete from S. Carolina, and Xavier Worthy from Texas are some others. Obviously this all changes with the Combine; and what Browns view as the position they need to attack first, but I lean WR at that spot. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Jan 17, 2024 7:44 AM

Browns have fired OC Alex Van Pelt, RB's coach Stump Mitchell and TE's coach TC McCartney

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 17, 2024 8:34 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Browns have fired OC Alex Van Pelt, RB's coach Stump Mitchell and TE's coach TC McCartney

That expected?

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Jan 17, 2024 8:39 AM
posted by Ironman92

That expected?

First I've heard. Van Pelt, to me, was a placeholder OC in title only, because Stefanski calls the plays. Stump Mitchell is a bit of a surprise as I'd heard he was a player favorite for that position group. No idea about the TE's coach.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 17, 2024 11:06 AM
posted by BR1986FB

First I've heard. Van Pelt, to me, was a placeholder OC in title only, because Stefanski calls the plays. Stump Mitchell is a bit of a surprise as I'd heard he was a player favorite for that position group. No idea about the TE's coach.

TE Coach must’ve not satisfied blocking schemes or something became Njoku was a breakout player

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Jan 17, 2024 12:40 PM
posted by Ironman92

TE Coach must’ve not satisfied blocking schemes or something became Njoku was a breakout player

I'm wondering if they are going to go after Air Raid type coaches to modify the offense to Watson. 

I haven't said it enough that I can't stand these QB's going from the gun 90% of the time. 

Play action, which is Stefanski's bread & butter, is best suited being run out of the gun. The gun serves it's purpose for RPO's but Watson could get much clearer throwing lanes and the option to take off on PA rollouts.

That's why a younger Flacco would've been the perfect marriage for Stefanski's offense.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 18, 2024 12:41 PM

Some reasons why the Browns made changes to the offensive staff...

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/why-browns-make-offensive-changes-225604852/#2348860

Thu, Jan 18, 2024 1:53 PM

Makes a lot of sense. The run game was horrible. Ford has really bad vision, and trying to do anything behind Wills was a bad idea. They kept trying to stretch the runs to the outside/not off tackle -- and Jones is just too big to get the edge in time consistently; Wills sucks; and Ford has awful vision. The remedy shouldve been more dives or off tackle runs, but basically, more up the middle. They realized this, but too late in year and didnt utilize it enough.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 18, 2024 9:46 PM

So the Browns are interviewing Seattle's O-Line coach, Andy Dickerson, for the vacant OC position. Dickerson has never held a position above OL coach and doesn't have any connections to Watson. The "buzz" behind this interview is that if Brian Callahan (OC-Bengals) lands a head coaching gig, his father Bill (Browns current GOAT OL coach) would follow and Dickerson would be the fall back plan.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 23, 2024 7:58 AM
posted by BR1986FB

So the Browns are interviewing Seattle's O-Line coach, Andy Dickerson, for the vacant OC position. Dickerson has never held a position above OL coach and doesn't have any connections to Watson. The "buzz" behind this interview is that if Brian Callahan (OC-Bengals) lands a head coaching gig, his father Bill (Browns current GOAT OL coach) would follow and Dickerson would be the fall back plan.

Uggggh....sounding like this will come to fruition as Brian Callahan is close to accepting the Titans HC job. Assuming Bill will follow his son.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 25, 2024 9:33 PM

Browns hired Duce Staley for the RB coach slot and will interview Kellen Moore for the OC role tomorrow.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Jan 31, 2024 5:51 PM

May be an image of 1 person, playing football and text

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login