Belly's daily question? 04-10-2020

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 12:14 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

There's a nutty ass pastor in Louisiana planning a 1,000 strong Easter service.  Instead of guiding his flick in the safest way, he uses this as an opportunity to make a name for himself. 

I saw where that guy (think the last name was Bundy?, militia-type guy) who had a couple of standoffs out toward the West (Montana/Wyoming) was also planning a large mass "get together" on Easter just because "the man" told him not to.

Belly35 Elderly Intellectual
10,015 posts 56 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 12:52 PM

When you embellish your answer, it created a better communication dialog and insight into you as a person.  

I thank those of you who have been commenting, I don't agree with some of you but ....   

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 1:04 PM

Fair enough. I'm not religious. The only time I've gone to church was when my parents made me when I was younger and I didn't overly like it. I look at being there as a waste of time due to not being religious and anything resembling that tithing nonsense as a real waste of money. And it would take something really huge like a hand of god coming from the sky to smite the hell out of some city in a way it's clear we're talking about a deity and not an act of nature for me to see any reason to change my way of thinking. This? Not so much. If I'd get it, it'd be because of having the bad luck to be exposed to someone with it; if I get cured, it'd be because of medicine/science. If you think prayers/Jebus fit into the mix, cool for you; I don't.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 1:59 PM
posted by Belly35

Seem like the "No's" have no explanation for their answer... wonder why 

I explained my reasons. 

Zunardo Senior Member
815 posts 15 reps Joined Nov 2010
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 3:58 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Why does God get credit for the good things, but not the bad? If he cured the disease, did he not also create it? (no snark, serious question)

Good question.  I think we have to back up a bit to the "did God create the disease" question.  You can certainly say he created the mechanism and capacity for viruses to mutate and become more deadly, even though it doesn't strike down every single individual.  Kinda like Jesus pointing out that the rain falls on the just as well as the unjust. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 4:29 PM
posted by Belly35

Good morning this Good Friday 

Will people take God and Faith more seriously now because of the COVID-19?

Some will, yes.

God can provide the solace that many need in difficult times; God can also provide the inspiration that many use to assist those around them in need. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 9:25 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Why does God get credit for the good things, but not the bad? If he cured the disease, did he not also create it? (no snark, serious question)

Off topic but that's how I feel every time Roethlisberger throws a TD and points at the sky. I think "really, you're going to help this pig after all he's done?" Makes me want to puke.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Apr 10, 2020 9:28 PM
posted by justincredible

I won't begrudge someone for using religion to cope with the realities of life. Whatever works for you, knock yourself out. There does tend to be a lot of hypocrisy, though, which bugs me.

I'm not religious but agree. Whatever gets you through. That's why all of the bashing on Tebow pissed me off. Don't necessarily agree with him but he can believe what he wants. Also agree on the hypocrisy.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login