Poll: Darnold vs Mayfield in the 2019-2020 season

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 27, 2019 9:13 AM

Figured this would be a decent thread, though I think I know how the poll will go. 

There was lots of talk leading up to the draft that Darnold was going #1. As a Jets fan I actually preferred Mayfield, though I'm not sure if that's because I assumed Darnold would go #1 and I didn't want Allen or Rosen, or if I actually wanted Mayfield over anyone. The draft didn't work out that way, and the Giants passed on a potential, and much needed, franchise QB, and Darnold fell into the Jets lap.

Last season was up and down for Darnold, which is to be expected given the total amount of actual experience he has as a QB. What gives me a lot of hope going into this season, is over the final 4 games Darnold was the highest rated QB in the NFL, so things finally seemed to click for him.

I also love this recent quote from the Jets WR coach: 

“Excuse my French when I say this,” Jefferson said, “but he’s a f–kin’ dude. He’s a f–kin’ dude with a f–kin’ arm and he’s accurate as s–t.

“So,” he went on after some laughter, “excuse that.”

Mayfield was much more polished right away and had a very nice rookie season. 

All that said, how do you think their seasons compare this year?

I'm expecting Darnold to put up numbers roughly comparable to what Mayfield did last year. High 20s TDs, low teens INTs, pushing 4000 yards.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Jun 27, 2019 9:58 AM

I think Darnold's room for improvement is significantly more than Mayfield's. I think Mayfield will improve a little, because he was already very good, and Darnold will improve a lot. The thing that tips the scale for Mayfield is all of his weapons.

Thu, Jun 27, 2019 10:10 AM

Mayfield to OBJ is going to be huge, for sure. I'm glad that Darnold has Bell as a security blanket. If Robby Anderson can stay out of trouble he and Darnold should put up some big numbers. Quincy Enunwa is extremely underrated, but is dealing with a neck injury. Hopefully he comes back healthy this year. Chris Herndon is looking very good early on at TE. While the Browns have a better cast overall, I think Darnold has enough weapons to really put up some good numbers if the protection is there. That is the big question, IMO.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jun 27, 2019 10:14 AM

I just think that Mayfield was much more NFL ready and is closer to his ceiling than Darnold. I think Mayfield needs to tweak some things where Darnold's progress should accelerate in year 2 as the speed of the game slows down for him.

Thu, Jun 27, 2019 10:18 AM

I don't disagree. I just hope that Darnold doesn't flame out. The Jets are due for some good luck for once.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jun 27, 2019 10:58 AM
posted by BR1986FB

I just think that Mayfield was much more NFL ready and is closer to his ceiling than Darnold. I think Mayfield needs to tweak some things where Darnold's progress should accelerate in year 2 as the speed of the game slows down for him.

I disagree.  I think Mayfield has a lot to improve on and is nowhere near his ceiling.  

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 27, 2019 4:24 PM

No QB is ever near their ceiling, imo. Maybe physical limitations have ceilings but not their kind and ability to make plays. Baker isn’t anywhere near either, imo. He can learn to move in the pocket better and improve on his release time as physical abilities. He doesn’t seem very interested in staying pat and not improving elsewhere either.

Darnold should get much better, but I just didn’t think he was very good coming out. I was very happy the Browns passed on him.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jun 27, 2019 6:32 PM
posted by Laley23

No QB is ever near their ceiling, imo. Maybe physical limitations have ceilings but not their kind and ability to make plays. Baker isn’t anywhere near either, imo. He can learn to move in the pocket better and improve on his release time as physical abilities. He doesn’t seem very interested in staying pat and not improving elsewhere either.

Darnold should get much better, but I just didn’t think he was very good coming out. I was very happy the Browns passed on him.

Agree, to a certain extent, with your first point.

What I meant by "ceiling" was that I didn't think Baker was going to improve a significant amount where Darnold should because of what you said in point #2. That I agree with. I didn't think Darnold was very good and had him behind Baker & Rosen.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Jun 28, 2019 7:00 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Agree, to a certain extent, with your first point.

What I meant by "ceiling" was that I didn't think Baker was going to improve a significant amount where Darnold should because of what you said in point #2. That I agree with. I didn't think Darnold was very good and had him behind Baker & Rosen.

In that respect, sure.  Darnold looked like a rookie QB last year and Baker for the most part didn't.  As Laley said though, there is plenty for Baker to improve on.  He doesn't even have a full season under his belt. The more reps he gets, the better.  All Browns fans better hope he hasn't already hit his ceiling.  Plenty of young QBs came out strong and hit their ceiling.  Their careers didn't quite take off after their rookie seasons, because the league adjusted.

I wanted Darnold over Baker, but so far I am happy with the Browns choice.  I do think Darnold is the better prospect than Jackson, Allen, and Rosen.  I actually am not ready to throw in the towel for Rosen either.  I think the Cards gave up on him way too early.

vball10set paying it forward
26,788 posts 121 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jun 28, 2019 7:32 AM
posted by like_that

I wanted Darnold over Baker, but so far I am happy with the Browns choice.  I do think Darnold is the better prospect than Jackson, Allen, and Rosen.  I actually am not ready to throw in the towel for Rosen either.  I think the Cards gave up on him way too early.

truth be told, so did I..and I wanted Barkley with the #1 pick...shows you wtf I know ;)

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jun 28, 2019 9:40 AM
posted by like_that

In that respect, sure.  Darnold looked like a rookie QB last year and Baker for the most part didn't.  As Laley said though, there is plenty for Baker to improve on.  He doesn't even have a full season under his belt. The more reps he gets, the better.  All Browns fans better hope he hasn't already hit his ceiling.  Plenty of young QBs came out strong and hit their ceiling.  Their careers didn't quite take off after their rookie seasons, because the league adjusted.

I don't think Baker will regress just because of the talent Dorsey has put around him. As long as the O-Line holds up, Mayfield will shatter all of Brian Sipe's regular season records for TD's (30) and yards (4132) this year. With all of the weapons he has, this will also open up the running game so I expect Baker to thrive in season two.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login