Pittsburgh Pirates in 2024 -- Let the Youth Movement Reign!

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 11:32 AM

1-0 in one hell of a weird game. Went 12 innings, where a total of one run was scored in the three that start with a guy on 2nd because reasons. Pirates had two straight where a guy got thrown out at home (including the one in which they DID score) and the Marlins had two straight where they grounded into a double play.

Keller was shaky, but the bullpen was lights out, even with Bednar unavailable and both Holderman and Mlodzinkski (sp) on the DL. Cruz had his first real homer of the year after dominating with them in spring training. Both Reynolds and Hayes were good. Spot starter/long reliever Luis Ortiz was great in his two innings of late relief, getting both of those ground ball DPs in extras.

Now let's hope Skenes gets off to a good start in AAA, so he can be called up quickly (or as quickly as Pittsburgh will do it to maximize years of control because Nutting is a real skittles) because Bailey Falter is the sort of 5th guy that makes me hope for rain every five days so he's never actually used.

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 11:37 AM

Following 😁

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 1:53 PM

Make it 2-0. Bullpen still hasn't given up much of anything (one garbage time run last night in the 9th) despite pitching more innings over two games than the starters. Hayes is hitting about .571 and drawing walks. And kind of excited for today, with Jared Jones starting. Dude was about untouchable in the spring and has serious heat. 

On one hand, they have a lot of very exciting young pitching that has the chance to be a great nucleus for the staff. On the other, it's hard to not temper the enthusiasm with how the organization botched Glasnow totally and then he became really good (on the off change he's actually healthy) the instant he showed up in Tampa Bay and with how Keller was horrible for a while and now regularly bounces between very good and very not so good, putting him firmly as an ace for us and probably a #3 or #4 for a good team.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Mon, Apr 1, 2024 2:32 PM

Up to 4-0 with yesterday's win being the sort of game that never seems to work out well for them. Weak link Bailey Falter gave up five in the top of the first, but the team rallied to take a lead. Then Bednar blew the save attempt, but they rallied for two in the top of the 10th to win.

Very good start to the season that has me needing to say things like "It's just the fucking Marlins." to temper expectations. Well, eventually temper them. It's 162-0 until that first loss!

BRF Senior Member
Mon, Apr 1, 2024 6:37 PM
posted by Heretic

It's 162-0 until that first loss!

Correct!  

Best wishes for my 3rd favorite team!

Heretic Son of the Sun
Tue, Apr 2, 2024 11:33 AM

5-0 heading into the first off-day of the season. First time for that since 1983 and (I think) the sixth (or fifth) time overall they've gotten off to that start.

Opening with back-to-back road series -- not ideal. However, when they're against Miami and Washington, that gives them a great chance to generate some buzz going into the home opener so there is some actual excitement when they do start play at home.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 3, 2024 1:20 PM

Pirates are a juggernaut.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Apr 4, 2024 1:02 PM

Good start; hope they can hang in there.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Apr 5, 2024 10:31 AM

Things will get interesting tonight. So far, they're 6-1 against two opponents who have combined for a 2-12 record at this point of the season. For their home opener, they have Baltimore, so that'll be a noticeable step up in competition.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sun, Apr 7, 2024 4:29 PM

Two of three from the Orioles with both wins being walk offs and the one today apparently coming due to a two-run errors by Baltimore is something I'll definitely take!

BRF Senior Member
Mon, Apr 8, 2024 12:34 PM

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Apr 18, 2024 12:06 PM

Things are getting less ideal. Starting pitching is still good, but the offense is vanishing and the bullpen is starting to remind me of old Huddle NCF and how he always called Cleveland's bullpen the "blowpen". Think against the Mets, the first game went from 3-3 to 3-6 when they got involved, the second went from 1-0 to 1-3 and the third went from 1-2 to 1-9.

The second one was the most annoying. I get that Jared Jones is a rookie who will be in for a major innings increase as far as workload goes this year, so I understand that there will and should be limitations on how far he goes into games. But pulling a guy who pitched 5 shutout innings on only 59 pitches to me is going from erring on the side of caution to simply erring.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Apr 20, 2024 1:28 PM

I remember Quinn Priester last year. Had good stuff, but fell behind in counts and then would groove a fastball down the middle and then watch it land somewhere out of the park.

NOTHING. HAS. CHANGED.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Apr 24, 2024 9:29 PM

So my kid treated himself to a pirates game as he finished up his spring semester/finals week. He and a couple friends moved down to some prime seating later in the game. For whatever reason he wore his Reds jersey and the camera guys showed him on the jumbo trim and the crown booed him big time lol.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login