Cleveland Browns 2023 Season Thread

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 124 reps Joined Feb 2010
Fri, Nov 17, 2023 9:43 AM

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 17, 2023 10:03 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Derp, "my dad's bigger than your dad!!!" We GET your agenda regarding Watson. It's tired and played out. Nobody's happy about this current situation but apparently you think that dead horse will continue dying over & over if you keep beating it.

I don't have an agenda. I root for the Browns every week. I hope that Watson can turn his career around, but this horrible move is going to handicap the franchise for the rest of the decade. I root for the team, not any individual. I'm not sure why you are too stupid to understand this.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Nov 17, 2023 10:10 AM
posted by Al Bundy

I don't have an agenda. I root for the Browns every week. I hope that Watson can turn his career around, but this horrible move is going to handicap the franchise for the rest of the decade. I root for the team, not any individual. I'm not sure why you are too stupid to understand this.

That's not the impression you're giving. All you do is harp on the Watson trade. Hindsight and "I told ya so's" aren't going to change it.

33,369 posts 133 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 17, 2023 10:12 AM

It hasn't handicapped them yet, but somehow its going to be a disaster for the rest of the decade? Ignoring that the last 3 games healthy (and apparently, not even healthy) Watson was a Top-10 at worst QB in the league? 

I just don't get it. We have 1 more year without the picks, and aside from the media narrative of wanting the Browns to feel remorse and Watson to fail, he has been objectively good and the Browns have built a great team around him despite a lack of picks. 

I will listen to arguments of them missing the window, as the line and really most of the offense is getting up there in age. But that is regardless of anything regarding Watson and the trade. And if you make that argument, I will counter that the only way to mitigate that type of thing is to have a franchise QB who can make up for issues during rebuilding years. Well, thats exactly what the Browns went out and got. As I have said 100 times, it may not work out. But we KNOW it wasnt working out with Baker -- and we know it hadnt worked out for the previous 22 years. So you take the swing. And they are more than halfway thru the rough part (no picks) with a 6-3 record and a lighter schedule coming in. The cap hits are nothing if Watson of the last 3 games returns and I also have a ton of faith in Berry minimizing that type of hit and reworking stuff. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Nov 17, 2023 11:00 AM
posted by Laley23

It hasn't handicapped them yet, but somehow its going to be a disaster for the rest of the decade? Ignoring that the last 3 games healthy (and apparently, not even healthy) Watson was a Top-10 at worst QB in the league? 

I just don't get it. We have 1 more year without the picks, and aside from the media narrative of wanting the Browns to feel remorse and Watson to fail, he has been objectively good and the Browns have built a great team around him despite a lack of picks. 

I will listen to arguments of them missing the window, as the line and really most of the offense is getting up there in age. But that is regardless of anything regarding Watson and the trade. And if you make that argument, I will counter that the only way to mitigate that type of thing is to have a franchise QB who can make up for issues during rebuilding years. Well, thats exactly what the Browns went out and got. As I have said 100 times, it may not work out. But we KNOW it wasnt working out with Baker -- and we know it hadnt worked out for the previous 22 years. So you take the swing. And they are more than halfway thru the rough part (no picks) with a 6-3 record and a lighter schedule coming in. The cap hits are nothing if Watson of the last 3 games returns and I also have a ton of faith in Berry minimizing that type of hit and reworking stuff. 

The most frustrating part is, despite the Watson bashers, it looks like he was starting to find his stride heading down the home stretch. If he was playing like he did against Pittsburgh in the first meeting, the words "Super Bowl contender" wouldn't be coming from me, but he was starting to click, leading up to the injury.

This signing isn't going to "handicap" them. There are 3 other teams (Panthers, Saints & Falcons) who wanted him and are in much worse shape than the Browns. Even with all the BS that's gone on I'd bet they still wish they had him.

Completely agree with your one comment about "swinging for the fences." For as much crap as he takes, I'm glad they have an owner like Haslam who will at least try, unlike the Dolan's.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 17, 2023 3:19 PM

Burrow gone for the season. 

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 17, 2023 5:13 PM
posted by Laley23

Losing the first round picks from 2022-2024 hurts the team for probably 8-10 years. They gave up the future core of the team. Watson has been below average. That is a fact! They would be in the same position with any average QB and would still have more players. They made a mistake. I am still rooting for Watson, Wills, or any other evaluation mistake that we made. It's not Watson's fault that we gave up or too much for him or are trying to force this team to become a passing team when they are better built to be a running team. He was at his best in the second half on Sunday when he was just asked to be a game manager who doesn't turn over the ball. I know that we are stuck with him for at least 3 more years, so hopefully he can turn his career around.

Fri, Nov 17, 2023 5:31 PM

We just disagree with him being below average. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 166 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Nov 19, 2023 11:38 AM

ESPN Countdown did a really good piece on David Njoku’s burn accident. Very interesting. He came out very well. Good dude. Hannah Storm did the story and she had the same thing happen to her years back.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Nov 19, 2023 1:54 PM

Nice being up. Gonna be a battle. 

Sun, Nov 19, 2023 3:56 PM

10-0 was fun. 53 yards in the 2nd half.

Sun, Nov 19, 2023 4:08 PM

13-10 fun too. So stressful.

Sun, Nov 19, 2023 5:09 PM

Didn’t love that Stefanski just shut it down. And the timeout usage was awful, but hey, 7-3. I’m booking my room at the Cosmo later tonight!

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, Nov 19, 2023 5:12 PM

7-3 is great. Go Browns!

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 109 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Nov 19, 2023 5:19 PM

Always nice to beat the Steelers. 

Happy for DTR. 

Hopefully the D can keep working on that not giving up huge yardage TD’s thing. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Sun, Nov 19, 2023 7:25 PM

Was expecting a win but not for it to be this close. Tomlin/Canada screwed the pooch going away from giving the rock to Warren later in the game. I get the comparisons to Austin Ekeler.

Would like to see Stefanski give DTR a shot to throw it downfield to open up this running game.

As Browns fans, we need to hope that the Pittsburgh front office never realizes the turd they drafted in Pickett and wallow in mediocrity for the next 5-7 years with him under center. DTR's played two games and I wouldn't take Pickett over him right now. The Giants QB, Danny Devito, has more multiple TD passing games in his short career than Pickett has in his.

Games will be rough with DTR under center but there are 5 very winnable games (Denver, Rams, Bears, Jets and Burrow-less Bengals) left on the schedule. They should get to 10-11 wins after today.

And Garrett should be the DPOY as of now. Got hosed out of a safety on the Steelers first offensive play but that may have been a blessing in disguise as the Ford TD run likely doesn't happen.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Nov 19, 2023 8:21 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Was expecting a win but not for it to be this close. Tomlin/Canada screwed the pooch going away from giving the rock to Warren later in the game. I get the comparisons to Austin Ekeler.

Would like to see Stefanski give DTR a shot to throw it downfield to open up this running game.

As Browns fans, we need to hope that the Pittsburgh front office never realizes the turd they drafted in Pickett and wallow in mediocrity for the next 5-7 years with him under center. DTR's played two games and I wouldn't take Pickett over him right now. The Giants QB, Danny Devito, has more multiple TD passing games in his short career than Pickett has in his.

Games will be rough with DTR under center but there are 5 very winnable games (Denver, Rams, Bears, Jets and Burrow-less Bengals) left on the schedule. They should get to 10-11 wins after today.

And Garrett should be the DPOY as of now. Got hosed out of a safety on the Steelers first offensive play but that may have been a blessing in disguise as the Ford TD run likely doesn't happen.

I’m not saying he’s good or has beyond top 20 potential….but FFS pressure is on immediately and Canada is balls. Receivers last in separation last year….and while Stroud is better, he’s protected better by his line, OC keeps him in great places and receivers actually get open. I’m not sure what QB comes in what Pittsburgh has on offense from the play calling to the talent and has this team 8-2. Mahomes about it, maybe

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Nov 20, 2023 4:45 AM

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Nov 20, 2023 7:34 AM
posted by Ironman92

I’m not saying he’s good or has beyond top 20 potential….but FFS pressure is on immediately and Canada is balls. Receivers last in separation last year….and while Stroud is better, he’s protected better by his line, OC keeps him in great places and receivers actually get open. I’m not sure what QB comes in what Pittsburgh has on offense from the play calling to the talent and has this team 8-2. Mahomes about it, maybe

Pittsburgh is too proud of a franchise, and I frankly don't care what they do as long as they wallow in misery, but they should go into rebuild mode. The Najee Harris (Trent Richardson 2.0) and Pickett draft picks look like busts. They still have pieces on defense but that D really isn't that good. You made mention of their receivers. Pickens & Freiermuth (when healthy) are solid pieces but Diontae Johnson is expendable. O-Line still a work in progress.

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Nov 20, 2023 8:09 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Pittsburgh is too proud of a franchise, and I frankly don't care what they do as long as they wallow in misery, but they should go into rebuild mode. The Najee Harris (Trent Richardson 2.0) and Pickett draft picks look like busts. They still have pieces on defense but that D really isn't that good. You made mention of their receivers. Pickens & Freiermuth (when healthy) are solid pieces but Diontae Johnson is expendable. O-Line still a work in progress.

Defense is solid but need Fitzpatrick in the defensive backfield 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login