2024 NCAA Football Thread

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Oct 13, 2024 1:52 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Can’t believe all those people on the sideline and no one is concerned that time is ticking. You get it down to ten seconds and you safely can run one play (before the FG). We see how risky it is to try for two plays. 

Don’t think it’s a very big deal. You can lose two games and still be in the playoff conversation. 

New rankings for next week:

1) Texas

2) Oregon

3) PSU

4) Georgia

5) Miami (FL)

6) Alabama

7) OSU 

8) Tennessee 

OSU and Tennessee may be switched. Tennessee needed overtime to beat a lousy Florida team at home. 

I have OSU 6, Tenn 7, Bama 8

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Oct 13, 2024 2:15 PM

Army and Navy crack the top 25

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sun, Oct 13, 2024 6:43 PM
posted by Trueblue23

Jimbo won a natty at least.

Cooper and Weis didn't have the level of talent on the roster that Day has had.

It's Day's style/personality, it's all finesse.  You have 1st and 10 in FG range to win the game, and you call a pass??  Okay dumb moment, but you can redeem yourself.. 2nd down.. ANOTHER PASS?!  Offensive PI, you're now pushed back out of FG range.

Just bad coaching.

Clarification…

Texas A&M Jimbo: Hold my beer.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Oct 13, 2024 7:11 PM

Have to admit, I was worried coming into the game because the Bucks love playing that "give them underneath stuff/bend-but-don't-break" defense with all their 5-star guys and Oregon seemed to be very good at that with a QB who completes about 75% of his passes for a little over 10 yards a completion and their top receiver is a possession receiver sort of guy who gets a bit under 10 a catch -- ie: the sort of team that is perfectly equipped to go against that sort of defensive play.

But then I figured: This team has so much hunger after last year, great personnel and all the necessary ingredients to recognize that and counter it!

They did not. And lost in a way that left me feeling a fuck-ton of deja vu. Have the lead with 6 to go. Let them drive for a field goal to regain the lead late in the game. Look like they just might respond and take the win at the very end, but fuck up, wind up with nothing and take the big, fat L.

Nothing has ever changed under Day. Take a loss in a big-time game, say all the right things about how that's unacceptable and things will be reevaluated or whatever and then watch the same shit happen in the next big-time game because they have a defensive game plan designed to let quality offenses take the air out of the ball to keep it away from your offense full of game-breakers AND that offense is good for at least one absolutely lethal mistake when it will hurt the most.

Trueblue23 BASEDgod
7,504 posts 17 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 14, 2024 9:54 AM

11W with the spot on take on Day:

“Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple,” he said.

Harbaugh’s comment came to mind as I reflected on Ohio State’s 32-31 loss to Oregon, not because I now believe it, but for another reason. How Day arrived on third base doesn’t matter, but this does: Almost six years after becoming Ohio State’s head coach and three years after Harbaugh’s comment in November 2021, Day remains 90 feet from home plate.

j_crazy 7 gram rocks. how i roll.
8,623 posts 30 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Oct 14, 2024 10:10 AM

Day is a worse version of John Cooper. The team is habitually at the top of the mountain and never can crest it. They lose every close game, they lose every big game, they are unprepared to deal with adversity. They haven't successfully negotiated a 2-minute drill in the entire time he's been at the helm. I don't know if he can manage a clock, because we haven't seen it done yet. It's coaching malpractice that a team with this level of resources cannot land high level recruits on the O-line, and can't develop the defensive recruits into pros. Bosa's aside, not a single front 7 defensive player has been an impact player in the NFL, and not a single defensive back has been impactful since Coombs left. 

In short, fire Day. We have seen where this finish line is and he's not going to get any team there.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login