NCAA Football 2023

MontyBrunswick Senior Member
1,065 posts 16 reps Joined Mar 2015
Sun, Nov 26, 2023 8:16 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Is he a top 5 coach?

Yes. Name the top 5 coaches in CFB. You have Saban and Kirby... then who? I can't think of more than another name or two that I'd feel comfortable with.

This year wasn't supposed to be a championship-or-bust year which makes the "fire ryan day" stuff annoying. Everyone saying that sounds so whiny and entitled.

Going into the year this team had a lot of question marks: you were starting a new quarterback, the offensive line was more or less being turned completely over, and there was skepticism about Knowles defense.

First few games of the year, those concerns were still concerns... but as the year progressed, everything got better (for the most part). 

McCord is the one exception. He didn't grow as much as I thought he would. He makes good throws but his ability to read a defense is apparently zilch. He almost always throws at his first read and did all damn year. It was very evident in his early interception against Michigan... that ball should've never been thrown.

Everywhere else they improved.

It just so happens that the end of the season resulted in OSU facing a team that is probably equally as good as them, and they had to face them on their own turf. 

Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that the Buckeyes lost because the Wolverines have a better team this year.

Those calling for Day to get fired need to take a step back and look at a program like A&M, Nebraska, Florida, or hell even USC. Any of those programs would kill for a coach that is consistently winning them 11 games a year.

If OSU decides to move on, you risk rolling the dice and turning into a program like those two. Is it worth it? IMO, no absolutely not.

So yeah, whole "no pants" stuff sucks... but the team isn't trending in the wrong direction. It's not really trending in any direction. It's sideways, and it's sideways at the 11 wins-a-year, top 5-6 mark. That is perfectly good enough going into the new era of the 12-team CFP.

Michigan is trending up, but it's likely they're going to get knocked down a peg by the NCAA and Harbaugh will leave, so the odds of them falling off in the coming year or two are decent. 

And the "no wins in 4 years" thing needs an asterisk next to it... OSU was likely to kill Michigan in 2020 until the game got canceled.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Nov 26, 2023 8:38 PM
posted by MontyBrunswick

Yes. Name the top 5 coaches in CFB. You have Saban and Kirby... then who? I can't think of more than another name or two that I'd feel comfortable with.

This year wasn't supposed to be a championship-or-bust year which makes the "fire ryan day" stuff annoying. Everyone saying that sounds so whiny and entitled.

Going into the year this team had a lot of question marks: you were starting a new quarterback, the offensive line was more or less being turned completely over, and there was skepticism about Knowles defense.

First few games of the year, those concerns were still concerns... but as the year progressed, everything got better (for the most part). 

McCord is the one exception. He didn't grow as much as I thought he would. He makes good throws but his ability to read a defense is apparently zilch. He almost always throws at his first read and did all damn year. It was very evident in his early interception against Michigan... that ball should've never been thrown.

Everywhere else they improved.

It just so happens that the end of the season resulted in OSU facing a team that is probably equally as good as them, and they had to face them on their own turf. 

Maybe, just maybe, it's possible that the Buckeyes lost because the Wolverines have a better team this year.

Those calling for Day to get fired need to take a step back and look at a program like A&M, Nebraska, Florida, or hell even USC. Any of those programs would kill for a coach that is consistently winning them 11 games a year.

If OSU decides to move on, you risk rolling the dice and turning into a program like those two. Is it worth it? IMO, no absolutely not.

So yeah, whole "no pants" stuff sucks... but the team isn't trending in the wrong direction. It's not really trending in any direction. It's sideways, and it's sideways at the 11 wins-a-year, top 5-6 mark. That is perfectly good enough going into the new era of the 12-team CFP.

Michigan is trending up, but it's likely they're going to get knocked down a peg by the NCAA and Harbaugh will leave, so the odds of them falling off in the coming year or two are decent. 

And the "no wins in 4 years" thing needs an asterisk next to it... OSU was likely to kill Michigan in 2020 until the game got canceled.

I'd still say Dabo is top 5, though trending down. I'd say Harbaugh is now top 5 after the last 3 years. 

That's 4. I think Day is 5 right now. But, honestly, I like Dan Lanning a lot more right now than Day. I'd say right now too, FSUs coach and Washington's coach are better in-game coach than Day right now.

Hate to say it, but the whole born on 3rd base line is looking more accurate each year. Not saying he should be fired at all, just that he has not won a single big game since 2019. 

I also agree with you a lot could change for the good next year.

Sun, Nov 26, 2023 9:39 PM

Dabo is a shell of himself without his coordinators (he lost both last year). He also hasn't embraced the portal at all, which makes him a bad hire moving forward. Definitely not top 5.

Dan Lanning doesn't have enough of a sample size, IMO. He might wind up being like Ed Orgeron, where he catches lightning in a bottle for a year, does really well, and then falls off.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 27, 2023 11:27 AM

Id take Kalen DeBoer over Day. I don't care that a chunk is NAIA, dude is 102 - 11 as a head coach. Also took Indiana to unprecedented heights as their OC (when Penix was his QB).

Mon, Nov 27, 2023 1:23 PM
posted by Laley23

Id take Kalen DeBoer over Day. I don't care that a chunk is NAIA, dude is 102 - 11 as a head coach. Also took Indiana to unprecedented heights as their OC (when Penix was his QB).

If Day got hit by a bus and I had to start making calls, he'd probably be on my short list.

If I could lure him out of retirement, Chris Petersen would be my #1, then probably Kyle Whittingham. I don't have confidence either would give up their current situation though.

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Nov 27, 2023 3:40 PM

Vrabel but I think he replaces Bill B this offsea

mhs95_06 Senior Member
8,603 posts 13 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 12:22 PM

Less than a minute into the Texas/OkSt game, it is obvious the officials are biased toward getting the league's highest ranked team the victory!

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 12:32 PM
posted by mhs95_06

Less than a minute into the Texas/OkSt game, it is obvious the officials are biased toward getting the league's highest ranked team the victory!

If even 1/10 of all “the refs are biased” cases in college and the NFL were true, do you honestly believe all necessary parties involved would have been able to remain quiet over the years as has apparently successfully happened? 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 12:49 PM

Texas going to score 60

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 1:05 PM

A reminder that OSU lost to 6 loss South Alabama and lost by 42 to 6 loss UCF

Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 2:02 PM

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 2:05 PM

posted by Ironman92

I so wish I was there today!
Ironman92 Administrator
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 3:01 PM
posted by Heretic
I so wish I was there today!

Prolly run the opening kickoff back

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 7:23 PM

So no Georgia in the playoffs right? We all agree? Alabama instead.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 247 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 7:36 PM

Georgia is out. 100%. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 7:41 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

So no Georgia in the playoffs right? We all agree? Alabama instead.

LOL yes.  There are 3 undefeated teams, and Alabama gets in via head-to-head over Georgia.

Although if FSU or UM loses, then it gets interesting.  I don't see a scenario where OSU goes ahead of UM, and not sure UM could still go if they don't win the conference championship.

It should be very clear, and also rare, when 2 teams from the same conference deserve to go.  Not seeing that this year.

Al Bundy Senior Member
4,526 posts 40 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 7:55 PM
posted by gut

LOL yes.  There are 3 undefeated teams, and Alabama gets in via head-to-head over Georgia.

Although if FSU or UM loses, then it gets interesting.  I don't see a scenario where OSU goes ahead of UM, and not sure UM could still go if they don't win the conference championship.

It should be very clear, and also rare, when 2 teams from the same conference deserve to go.  Not seeing that this year.

Texas has head to head over Alabama 

Sat, Dec 2, 2023 8:16 PM

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Alabama

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 2, 2023 9:38 PM

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Florida State (Alabama would be the 4th if they argue the QB situation).

Sat, Dec 2, 2023 10:30 PM

Iowa got hosed on that one. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login