Cleveland Browns 2022 Season Thread

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jan 9, 2023 2:05 PM

I like the Mayo one. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Mon, Jan 9, 2023 3:12 PM

Have also added someone from Seattle and Jim Schwartz to the list of candidates.

Press conference at 3:30. Hopefully, Shitpantski turns over play calling duties to Van Pelt.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Jan 9, 2023 6:20 PM
posted by QuakerOats

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-must-not-fall-into-the-trap-of-fooling-themselves-about-2023-terry-pluto-s-postgame-scribbles/ar-AA167Iqu?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=11e36da57cc3469291c621350839d54c

From that article and some thoughts:

1. Berry has dropped the ball in a lot of his drafting and talent evaluation. Yes, the Amari Cooper acquisition was a good get but neglecting the interior defensive line and the linebacker position was a whiff. They need 2 DT's (would love Payne from Washington) and, although highly athletic, very skeptical JOK is a LB and will break down at the position. They will also need a DE opposite of Myles as there's nobody on the roster that moves the needle.

2. This is tough but the O-Line isn't as "elite" as thought. You have two very good guards, a ? at center, a RT who you just threw money at and is developing injury issues along with a LT who has been questioned whether his heart is even in the game. One of the issues with Watson getting sacked is, unlike Brissett, he's not a statue back there. Lamar Jackson gets sacked a bit and a lot of that is on O-Line not staying with their man or knowing where the QB is. Gotta get better with this.

3. They need a "take the top off the defense" legit deep threat. Not these little tiny punt returners they try to make into WR's. Along the same line as the O-Line, these receivers have to be better at not giving up on plays when Watson improvises. On the play that Diontae Johnson almost got his first TD of the year, Pickett scrambled, Denzel Ward had Johnson pretty blanketed, but Johnson didn't give up, Ward lost him = big gainer. Browns receivers need to do more of that.

4. The running game? This is a conundrum. Watson commented what most intelligent people know about football. To utilize this running game properly/maximizing Nick Chubb, you HAVE to do that from under center. This isn't the Big12 where a RB is going to rip off big gains taking a handoff out of the shotgun. You're putting your OL/RB at a disadvantage as he has to run 5 yards just to get back to the LOS.

5. As far as Chubb & Garrett go, after the Watson trade, I have this bad feeling they could be shopped to recoup draft picks. Maybe not Myles as much as Chubb but with this upcoming "Air Raid" I could see Chubb not as much a fit going forward, which sucks.

6. To the Air Raid....am I the only one who didn't think the coaching staff really gave a shit yesterday and, knowing they were out of the playoffs, decided it was "experimentation day?" Chubb could've gone for 150-200 yards but they decided they were going to throw it all over the yard.

7. Finally, Stefanski....this whole regime might be book smart/Ivy League but they aren't common sense/football smart. KS is so stubborn that he's going to go down with his beliefs. He won't give up that play calling and he's missing a lot on the field by doing that. Have a sneaky feeling this next DC (Mayo/Flores) could be a backup plan as a head coach in waiting if KS fails.

I really don't have much optimism going forward. Besides a fluke COVID season this group has yet to show me they know how to win or have built a culture to do it.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 12:49 PM

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Jan 13, 2023 12:50 PM

^^^^ this is horseshit

I don't defend MKC ever but I heard her interview on 92.3 a WEEK ago before he just came out with this "apology." She said a few comments in to the interview "are you cool with being quoted on this?" and Clowney was. 

According to MKC, D'Ernest Johnson was sitting next to Clowney during the interview and he told Clowney a few times "are you sure you want to say that man?" and Clowney just kept going.

Either this is potential damage control for his next team or he feels the Browns are bringing in a legit DC and wants to keep the door cracked, which I doubt the latter.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 17, 2023 7:38 AM

MKC saying the Browns had a "great interview with Sean Desai for the defensive coordinator" role and that "they could have their hire by today."

Going into this, the top 4 candidates were: Brian Flores (1a), Jim Schwartz (1b), Jerod Mayo (withdrew to stay with the Pats) and Sean Desai.

As soon as I saw Desai's background I said "that's the guy I want LEAST so that's the guy they will hire" strictly because he's a mealy mouth, p#ssy ass, Ivy League analytics guy, like Stefanski.

Seattle's run defense was actually WORSE than the Browns and Desai sucked as the DC in Chicago so I'm sure, if he's the hire, he'll fit right in with all of Depodesta's "yes men."

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 17, 2023 9:58 AM

Not my first choice but I'll take it!

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Jan 17, 2023 11:26 AM

Article on what Schwartz brings to the defense. This was when he was interviewing for the role with the Colts. 

Could bode well for Myles Garrett and the D-Line should finally get bolstered at the DT positions as Schwartz likes big, nasty IDL...

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/film/colts-defense-change-schwartz

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 17, 2023 12:37 PM

Schwartz seems to always have a solid defense. Ray Lewis gives him a ton of credit for his career when he was LB coach in Baltimore. He gave Manning fits in Tennessee when he was there also. And we know what he did in Philly. His lone season in Buffalo was awesome (for a shit franchise at that time). 

Really has been successful everywhere but Detroit (which was up and down and could be a success depending on how you view it). Seems like a case of great coordinator, ok head coach. I am pretty pleased with this hire. 

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Tue, Jan 17, 2023 12:48 PM

I'll take it. 

Has Flores ever been a D coordinator?

BR1986FB Senior Member
BR1986FB Senior Member
Thu, Jan 26, 2023 4:00 PM

Woof.....a bit of hate towards Watson's future prospects. 

LaCanfora seems to think he's pretty much done. That his head is so messed up that he'll never rebound and become the QB he was and possibly be out of the league in 2 years. Take the FWIW, as LaCanfora is a Ravens slobberer and has hated the Browns for a while.

I think he's capable of being a FQB but I'm skeptical he ever returns to form.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Feb 6, 2023 8:36 AM

Myles Garrett dislocates a toe in one of these stupid Pro Bowl events

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 6, 2023 8:45 AM

Speaking of the pro bowl, give it a fucking rest already. I saw highlights of a skills challenge - with Carr and Huntley - dodgeball, and flag football. Maybe next year they can add water polo. 

BR1986FB Senior Member
Mon, Feb 6, 2023 9:16 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

Speaking of the pro bowl, give it a fucking rest already. I saw highlights of a skills challenge - with Carr and Huntley - dodgeball, and flag football. Maybe next year they can add water polo. 

Didn't see any of it but heard Myles got injured doing some drill where they had to drop from a 7 foot object 3 consecutive times? Yeah, that's a great idea.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Feb 10, 2023 6:18 AM

Joe Thomas first ballot Hall of Famer !

Also, going forward, the NFL rushing title will be named after Jim Brown.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Feb 21, 2023 1:03 PM

Browns parted ways with special teams coordinator  Mike Priefer. Ray "Bubba" Ventrone, who was a former Browns special teams ace, and ST's coordinator for one of the top ST's in the league (Colts) is believed to be the odds on favorite to replace him. This would be an exceptional get.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Fri, Feb 24, 2023 9:22 AM

Stefanski has added two coordinators in Schwartz & Ventrone that not only bring a history of success but a fire/intensity that we haven't seen from coordinators past. Now, there's NO excuse. We'll see if it was "all Joe Woods & Mike Priefer" or if these players really aren't that good.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Feb 27, 2023 2:02 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Stefanski has added two coordinators in Schwartz & Ventrone that not only bring a history of success but a fire/intensity that we haven't seen from coordinators past. Now, there's NO excuse. We'll see if it was "all Joe Woods & Mike Priefer" or if these players really aren't that good.

May all depend on whether the play-calling is going to continue to outsmart itself on first and goal at the 2 yard line with the best RB in the league.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login