Tue, Jan 17, 2023 6:24 AM

48/9/8 for the old guy

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jan 17, 2023 9:08 PM

Jamal is funny

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jan 18, 2023 12:37 AM

Jamal didn’t understand the language of the tweet lol.

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 29, 2023 12:16 AM

The ending to the Lakers - Celtics game was bizarre. I’ll try and recap as best as I remember.

Lead switches side multiple times towards end of game. With 20ish seconds left Anthony Davis misses a three pointer but there’s a put-back slam by, you guessed it, Pat Beverly. His first dunk since the ‘19-‘20 season.

Al Horford misses a potential game tying three off the top of the backboard but Jaylen Brown cleans up the miss and gets fouled, we’re tied with four seconds left.

Lebron drives for game winning layup and is clearly fouled by Tatum. You see him hit Lebron’s arm which alters the shot short. Lebron throws a tantrum similar if you had a winning lottery ticket that accidentally fell in the fire place. Hard to blame him though, the missed foul was realllly bad. Not sure if the Lakers could have challenged but didn’t matter as they had already (successfully) used their challenge a few minutes earlier on an AD foul. That’s right, the Lakers couldn’t challenge the no call because they’d already had to challenge a blown call five minutes earlier. Van Gundy remarks that if you successfully challenge something, you should get another one to use. I and the Lakers agree.

During the break between overtime and regulation, Pat Beverly takes a camera over to an official to show the blown call which results in a technical foul. We come from break to see Tatum hit the awarded free throw and we start overtime with Boston technically leading by 1. 

Celtics had control of overtime and would win by 4 thanks to Jaylen Brown’s 11 points. You could tell the Lakers went into it defeated already. They had a pretty lazy sequence where off a Lebron layup, the Celtics inbound the ball up three and Jaylen Brown just dribbles past the Laker team which didn’t get back on defense at all and he draws a shooting foul on Westbrook. Lakers inbound the ball with 11 seconds left down 4 and don’t attempt a shot til there’s about 1-2 seconds left. They seemed like they had given up. Lebron was the first one to the locker rooms and I imagine his post game presser and/or tweets should be fun. He’s 117 points away from passing Kareem by the way. They have a back to back with Knicks/Nets this week I imagine he could miss one of. Depending on if he misses a game and how nuts he goes, he could break the record as early as this Thursday in Indiana (I was low key checking out ticket prices to this game. They seemed pretty affordable but I bet they skyrocket if he plays the Knicks/Nets and combines for 80 points, which I don’t see happening) Or maybe more realistically he breaks it next Saturday in New Orleans which I think is a prime time game. 

Thanks for following along. Hopefully someone bothered to read all that. 

Tl;Dr: lol lakers and refs

P.S. I wonder how annoyed the coaching staff is when the same player who thinks they never foul runs over demanding they challenge and swirling their finger several times a game. 

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Jan 29, 2023 3:37 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

The ending to the Lakers - Celtics game was bizarre. I’ll try and recap as best as I remember.

Lead switches side multiple times towards end of game. With 20ish seconds left Anthony Davis misses a three pointer but there’s a put-back slam by, you guessed it, Pat Beverly. His first dunk since the ‘19-‘20 season.

Al Horford misses a potential game tying three off the top of the backboard but Jaylen Brown cleans up the miss and gets fouled, we’re tied with four seconds left.

Lebron drives for game winning layup and is clearly fouled by Tatum. You see him hit Lebron’s arm which alters the shot short. Lebron throws a tantrum similar if you had a winning lottery ticket that accidentally fell in the fire place. Hard to blame him though, the missed foul was realllly bad. Not sure if the Lakers could have challenged but didn’t matter as they had already (successfully) used their challenge a few minutes earlier on an AD foul. That’s right, the Lakers couldn’t challenge the no call because they’d already had to challenge a blown call five minutes earlier. Van Gundy remarks that if you successfully challenge something, you should get another one to use. I and the Lakers agree.

During the break between overtime and regulation, Pat Beverly takes a camera over to an official to show the blown call which results in a technical foul. We come from break to see Tatum hit the awarded free throw and we start overtime with Boston technically leading by 1. 

Celtics had control of overtime and would win by 4 thanks to Jaylen Brown’s 11 points. You could tell the Lakers went into it defeated already. They had a pretty lazy sequence where off a Lebron layup, the Celtics inbound the ball up three and Jaylen Brown just dribbles past the Laker team which didn’t get back on defense at all and he draws a shooting foul on Westbrook. Lakers inbound the ball with 11 seconds left down 4 and don’t attempt a shot til there’s about 1-2 seconds left. They seemed like they had given up. Lebron was the first one to the locker rooms and I imagine his post game presser and/or tweets should be fun. He’s 117 points away from passing Kareem by the way. They have a back to back with Knicks/Nets this week I imagine he could miss one of. Depending on if he misses a game and how nuts he goes, he could break the record as early as this Thursday in Indiana (I was low key checking out ticket prices to this game. They seemed pretty affordable but I bet they skyrocket if he plays the Knicks/Nets and combines for 80 points, which I don’t see happening) Or maybe more realistically he breaks it next Saturday in New Orleans which I think is a prime time game. 

Thanks for following along. Hopefully someone bothered to read all that. 

Tl;Dr: lol lakers and refs

P.S. I wonder how annoyed the coaching staff is when the same player who thinks they never foul runs over demanding they challenge and swirling their finger several times a game. 

Thanks for doing that. I saw videos of the tantrum but didn't take the time to look up the context.  

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jan 29, 2023 3:58 PM

LeBron said he was furious because it’s as good as they’ve played an entire game all year and then somehow miss that call.

The reaction was too much but how does that not get called? I know the game is fast and that play was fast…but refs have no trouble calling that in anticipatory fashion all game long. It’s off the Lakers have been on the short side of 3 blown calls that pretty much decided games.

Sun, Jan 29, 2023 5:36 PM

The refs admitted the call was missed but said none of them saw it in real time. Three refs, what were they watching besides Lebron driving through the entire Celtics team? 

Lebron listed out for tomorrow. I bet he’s aiming to break the record at their next home game, Tuesday the 7th. Their next four games are on the road.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jan 29, 2023 6:12 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

The refs admitted the call was missed but said none of them saw it in real time. Three refs, what were they watching besides Lebron driving through the entire Celtics team? 

Lebron listed out for tomorrow. I bet he’s aiming to break the record at their next home game, Tuesday the 7th. Their next four games are on the road.

Yeah…gotta do it at home

I assume Kareem will be there? I hope

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jan 30, 2023 3:39 AM

Despite Lebron's tantrum and the reaction to his tantrum, it was a bullshit no call and has been the story of Lebron's career. 

The refs have always treated Lebron this way, because he is a physical monster and  plus they are afraid to make the right call in crucial moments of the game.  Obviously it doesn't bother me now that he isn't in Cleveland, but if you compare him to other superstars it's ridiculous how he gets the short end of the stick.

Mon, Jan 30, 2023 10:02 AM

Man, this sucks. about 2 months ago I put down some money on LeBron breaking this at Indianapolis and at New Orleans. Of course, I knew there was the chance he would sit out to break at home, and in the end its the right call. This is a MASSIVE record -- frankly, people are not giving this the attention it needs. But with Lakers being in the thick of the backend playoff race, I thought he might just say F it I gotta play. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Jan 31, 2023 10:45 PM

Hachimura fits well on the Lakers

Davis back…Westbrook functional, LeBron

Knicks/Lakers game was solid

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 1, 2023 11:39 AM

Cavs vs. Heat was very entertaining last night.

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Feb 2, 2023 5:55 PM

Obviously the extreme court side seats but good….this should be a huge event in sports.

The Twitter and FB “sports” opinions and personalities can suck a dong.

This is big stuff

Thu, Feb 2, 2023 10:10 PM

The Grizzlies are low key becoming an unlikable team. Drama just seems to follow them. 

Fri, Feb 3, 2023 10:16 AM

LeBron breaking this record should have been a story for a fucking year. This is incredible stuff we are watching. Instead, we had to put up with 2 months of Curry "Can he hit 37 threes tonight to break a record nobody even considered a record until just now?" Then next game, "Can he get 33 tonight to break it? Are you gonna bet against him?".

Meanwhile, Lakers game wasnt even going to be broadcast until last night TNT got it for Tuesdays game. Its wild to me that one of the biggest records in sports is being brushed aside. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sat, Feb 4, 2023 7:19 AM
posted by Laley23

LeBron breaking this record should have been a story for a fucking year. This is incredible stuff we are watching. Instead, we had to put up with 2 months of Curry "Can he hit 37 threes tonight to break a record nobody even considered a record until just now?" Then next game, "Can he get 33 tonight to break it? Are you gonna bet against him?".

Meanwhile, Lakers game wasnt even going to be broadcast until last night TNT got it for Tuesdays game. Its wild to me that one of the biggest records in sports is being brushed aside. 

Lebron drama and antics aside, everyone has taken his career for granted.  Not only is he about to break an all time record, but he just recently moved to #4 all time for assists.  That barely got a subtle mention from the media.

Sat, Feb 4, 2023 8:43 AM

The Nets should trade Kyrie to another planet. Sick of hearing about this asshat.

Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Feb 5, 2023 10:01 PM

So LeBron could break it Tuesday…I had to look up when their next game was because this is no big deal

Sun, Feb 5, 2023 10:42 PM

So if it’s a close game, he probably doesn’t break it, unless he is on one.

If it’s a blowout (win) he probably does, and stays in Kobe style.

If it’s a blowout (loss) there is 0% chance he stays in to do it. 

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Mon, Feb 6, 2023 7:02 AM

I can't imagine why Dallas would want Kyrie at this point.  He's been a cancer everywhere he's been. I can't imagine it being any different in Dallas. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login