Progressives, part 3...

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 26, 2023 10:44 AM

Correct, and it was that hot in 2017

BUT....I'd be slightly concerned if I lived in a hurricane zone. Good luck this fall!

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 26, 2023 11:39 AM
posted by iclfan2

The “ocean” also isn’t 100 degrees. Some random buoy in brackish 5 foot waters was 100 degrees. 

Exactly.  I was 50 miles offshore last week at the edge of the Gulfstream and it was 82 at the surface, same as every summer.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 27, 2023 10:04 AM

LOL, the Desantis hit squad is out again, this time over Florida's slave history curriculum.

The left is claiming it teaches that slavery was beneficial to some teaching them skills.  Which is kind of bizarre and hard to defend.

But what it actually says - per the black Dr. that was an integral part of the design - was some slaves overcame this tremendous adversity to learn skills and become successful as free men.  And for the left, that explanation is probably even more odious.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 27, 2023 10:59 AM
posted by gut

LOL, the Desantis hit squad is out again, this time over Florida's slave history curriculum.

The left is claiming it teaches that slavery was beneficial to some teaching them skills.  Which is kind of bizarre and hard to defend.

But what it actually says - per the black Dr. that was an integral part of the design - was some slaves overcame this tremendous adversity to learn skills and become successful as free men.  And for the left, that explanation is probably even more odious.

I will wait for Geeblock to come on and comment, as he is the only one allowed to have opinions on such matters around here. He is especially more qualified than the guy who designed the curriculum.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jul 29, 2023 2:25 PM

Lol, gtfo

QuakerOats Senior Member
Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Aug 11, 2023 4:33 PM
posted by QuakerOats

https://amgreatness.com/2023/08/07/the-remaking-of-america/

I think you suffer from the false uniqueness effect - meaning you always believe that whatever present day you are in is unique in history, is an unfaced crossroads and will do more than any other time to form the future.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Aug 11, 2023 5:03 PM

Have another drink.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 11, 2023 6:19 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I think you suffer from the false uniqueness effect - meaning you always believe that whatever present day you are in is unique in history, is an unfaced crossroads and will do more than any other time to form the future.  

For all the shit dude says, that's the thing I can at least understand the most, though. Been a media thing for a long while to act like anything happening is this amazing never-before-seen event. Goes for sports and news and is probably part of the foundation for the 24/7 coverage of everything via networks, web sites and so forth. Say something is something we've never seen before and is either awesome or a total threat and watch the sheep gobble it up because their lives feel a lot less mundane if they're witnessing history on a daily basis!

gut Senior Member
Sat, Aug 12, 2023 9:58 AM
posted by Heretic

watch the sheep gobble it up because their lives feel a lot less mundane if they're witnessing history on a daily basis!

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but makes a lot of sense.

The last 15-20 years has definitely been an obsession with apocalypse/disaster.  You see it in a lot of movies.  Hell, even spawned a new, awful music genre (emo).  Of course the 24/7 news cycle was going to exploit all that.

Sat, Aug 12, 2023 10:51 AM
posted by gut

The last 15-20 years has definitely been an obsession with apocalypse/disaster.  You see it in a lot of movies.  Hell, even spawned a new, awful music genre (emo).  Of course the 24/7 news cycle was going to exploit all that.

I feel like this stuff ramped up in the 90s and has taken off since.  “We are experiencing an unprecedented crossroads.  If ——- doesn’t happen, the country/society/civilization will be lost forever.”  

It’s actually pretty egocentric to think the entire scope of history somehow hinges on the actions of people right now - and by-the-way when I happen to be alive.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 12, 2023 12:42 PM
posted by gut

Come to think about it, it was about 20 years ago my mother tried to turn me onto that amazingly awful Left Behind series -- the religious fiction series written by "I can count to potato" people who were in the apocalypse cult branch of Christianity where the plot was that the rapture happened and what happened to all the people who didn't immediately go to heaven. I remember my main takeaway (other than how much this shit sucked) was: "Wait...people out there actually are hoping the world ends because Jebus?!?" and then I kind of opened my eyes a bit and realized that, yes, people do get off on the concept that it all comes to an end during their life.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Aug 15, 2023 1:30 PM
posted by gut

Everyday is a disaster that can only be solved if biden declares a climate emergency, don't ya know.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 15, 2023 1:46 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Everyday is a disaster that can only be solved if biden declares a climate emergency, don't ya know.

The sad part is, there was a ~17 year "pause" in the warming trend until an unusually strong el nino in 2015-2016 resumed a slight upward trend.  But then it's been another "pause" since that's made the entire last 25 years virtually flat.  

This is another el nino year that might lift the trend again, but so far it's not looking that way (despite all the hand-wringing over "record" heat waves while ignoring much of the rest of the summer has been cooler than normal).  But we're only like 6 months into a 18 month(?) el nino.  And maybe likely that the warmer waters will lead to a warmer and wetter winter.

Again, the "existential crisis" exists only in models that are neither validated nor show any predictive power. 95% of the weather events the media loves to attribute to climate change have no detectable change in actual empirical data.  I think the only thing the IPCC cited was an increase in precipitation (but not flooding), which follows from warmer air able to collect and carry more moisture, but once you understand you're talking the difference of like 88 vs. 90 degrees how much impact can there really be?

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Aug 15, 2023 4:27 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/media/major-san-fran-retailer-condemns-city-state-leaders-full-page-ad-abject-disregard-civilized-conduct

Starting to eat their own; pretty epic slam.  Had to happen sooner or later. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Aug 18, 2023 12:17 PM

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/doom-loop-walking-tour-san-fran-sells-out

There's a new entertainment option for people morbidly fascinated with San Francisco's relentless decline: a "Downtown Doom Loop Walking Tour." 

It's as if we're in the twilight zone.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 19, 2023 10:52 AM

Oh shit! The republicans have infiltrated the religion of peace.

https://x.com/wajahatali/status/1692615857602482212?s=46&t=6w2XbPMrNrOkLnwSSn4TOQ

Sat, Aug 19, 2023 6:54 PM
posted by iclfan2

Oh shit! The republicans have infiltrated the religion of peace.

https://x.com/wajahatali/status/1692615857602482212?s=46&t=6w2XbPMrNrOkLnwSSn4TOQ

The problem is the Religion of Peace hates gays.  They also hate Christians.  Religious right doesn’t like gay influence, but believes the Christian God has specially selected their causes.  

A tough dilemma.  

gut Senior Member
Mon, Aug 21, 2023 10:22 AM

WSJ article today saying most student loan borrowers who already had too much debt used the 4-yr pause on payments to add MORE non-educational loan debts.

In other words, given a reprieve/break, financially irresponsible people doubled-down on bad financial decisions.  Shocking, I know.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 21, 2023 6:03 PM

Not surprised. My best friend growing up stayed employed during the entire pause. Made ZERO payments. He was crushed when Biden's forgiveness got shot down. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login