2020 Presidential Election thread

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 15, 2020 11:33 AM

This is Jack Dorsey, a few years ago, retweeting somebody who wants conservatives to be driven out of public life, that there can be no bipartisanship, that one side must "win".
Kind of makes the point.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Oct 15, 2020 11:36 AM
posted by like_that

Yeah sorry, I have faith in humanity that we don’t need to live in an idiocracy. If you need that safety net, then I don’t know what to tell you. I would say I am surprised, but I know a surprisingly decent amount of people who I consider reasonable intelligent needing that same safety net.  If the media actually did their job a long time instead of turning into entertainment activists, we wouldn’t see many people rushing to full retard sources on both sides. 

OD is just one example of many. Drudge is one guy who shares right leaning links, although he is now anti trump, which is why you don’t see QO copying and pasting all of his links anymore.  I am glad you brought him up, because he is nowhere near the level of sources you’re referring to.  You’re fixated on the fact I don’t think there should be any censorship, which includes these whacko sources.  I’m referring to the generally credible and normal sources, that are getting their blocked (partially or fully), and/or demonetized. The NY Post is no doubt right leaning, but they are nowhere near all of the sources you are bringing up.  When it comes to these type of sources, they are not even close to being treated as equally as their liberal counterparts.  So many examples, and you can start with the Joe Rogan interview CHS posted. Directly being confirmed by twitter.

I don’t see the censorship though. I see rights articles all the time. Most of my family is right so I see their shit all the time. I see it not getting taken down simply bc is makes the left look bad. Theres not a Facebook conspiracy to silence the right. And I’m telling you people who lean left think the same exact thing as you just opposite. They think only their shit gets taken down. They think only their groups get targeted by Facebook. They think Zuckerburg is scared to death of Trump and kisses his ass.

And I don’t care about a safety net. I care about perpetuating lies. You gaslighting people who care about it doesn’t help the situation either. People arent wrong for not wanting lies perpetuated. Save your insults. 

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 11:49 AM

The censorship is very real. It's why InfoWars was banned everywhere, including banking services, while lefty podcasts flourish. Have you seen much of the TYT podcasts lately, with their conspiracy theories and flat out calls to violence? They're not banned anywhere. 

But if you don't want to accept it, and nobody can give enough proof to change your mind, then there's nothing else I'm going to put forward because it's just useless bickering at this point.

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 11:59 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

The censorship is very real. It's why InfoWars was banned everywhere, including banking services, while lefty podcasts flourish. Have you seen much of the TYT podcasts lately, with their conspiracy theories and flat out calls to violence? They're not banned anywhere. 

But if you don't want to accept it, and nobody can give enough proof to change your mind, then there's nothing else I'm going to put forward because it's just useless bickering at this point.

Alex Jones was banned for hate speech not anti left speech. I’ve never even heard of TYT.  Who’s their audience and how did they even reach you? 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Oct 15, 2020 12:06 PM
posted by kizer permanente

I don’t see the censorship though. I see rights articles all the time. Most of my family is right so I see their shit all the time. I see it not getting taken down simply bc is makes the left look bad. Theres not a Facebook conspiracy to silence the right. And I’m telling you people who lean left think the same exact thing as you just opposite. They think only their shit gets taken down. They think only their groups get targeted by Facebook. They think Zuckerburg is scared to death of Trump and kisses his ass.

And I don’t care about a safety net. I care about perpetuating lies. You gaslighting people who care about it doesn’t help the situation either. People arent wrong for not wanting lies perpetuated. Save your insults. 

Do you actually follow normal conservative sources/pundits or are you just basing this off of what your family members post?  That’s probably why you don’t see it. Plenty of examples out there.

To your last paragraph, i am not trying insult or gaslight you. Im seeing far more reasonably intelligent people slowly building up more tolerance for censorship than I saw 10 years ago.  You're putting words in my mouth. I never said lying and perpetuating lies are ok.  We can both find common ground on that. However I do think it’s completely wrong to censor or advocate to censor speech.  It’s a very slippery slope. It might seem reasonable with the wacko sources, but eventually it will trickle into the non wacko sources. It already has, but you apparently haven’t seen it yet. By the time you will notice, it will most likely be too late.

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 12:18 PM

You’re right. I don’t actively follow either left or right pundits. My follows on Twitter are NFL analysts and portnoy mostly. And I don’t even particularly like portnoy but he entertains me for some odd reason. I have a corp group of long time friends. There’s 5 of us. Me and another buddy lean left and two of our other friends lean right. The 5th I would say leans left but our other buddies think he leans right.  He’s probably the most impartial of us... none of that matters except to give backstory. We typically text in a group text about what’s going on news wise and share Info with each other that way. Comment on crazy stuff we see some of our mutual other friends share. Shit like that. I feel it keeps most of us grounded from going too far left or right bc it’s easy to think you’re right and someone’s wrong when you read cnn or fox exclusively. That’s about the extent of how I get my news. I don’t actively follow cnn or pundits. I don’t really any desire to.  That’s probably not great I get it. But I also feel like I haven’t gone off the rails left and right like some of my family and outside friends have too. 

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 12:24 PM

You’re right. I don’t actively follow either left or right pundits. My follows on Twitter are NFL analysts and portnoy mostly. And I don’t even particularly like portnoy but he entertains me for some odd reason. I have a corp group of long time friends. There’s 5 of us. Me and another buddy lean left and two of our other friends lean right. The 5th I would say leans left but our other buddies think he leans right.  He’s probably the most impartial of us... none of that matters except to give backstory. We typically text in a group text about what’s going on news wise and share Info with each other that way. Comment on crazy stuff we see some of our mutual other friends share. Shit like that. I feel it keeps most of us grounded from going too far left or right bc it’s easy to think you’re right and someone’s wrong when you read cnn or fox exclusively. That’s about the extent of how I get my news. I don’t actively follow cnn or pundits. I don’t really any desire to.  That’s probably not great I get it. But I also feel like I haven’t gone off the rails left and right like some of my family and outside friends have too. 

That's good.  A lot more people need to do that, but also would explain why you don't see it.  

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 12:42 PM

Alex Jones was banned for hate speech not anti left speech. I’ve never even heard of TYT.  Who’s their audience and how did they even reach you? 

TYT = The Young Turks. They're probably the largest and most successful progressive political podcast. And yes, they have had their moment of hate speech too. Which is why I asked if you've ever paid attention to them. 

And "what is hate speech?" is currently part of the hot topic of social medias because it's been pretty obvious that the hate speech rules flow one way. I believe that hate speech is targeting your vitriol towards one group, inciting violence can also fall under that umbrella. Certainly "removing conservatives from society" is a mixture of both IMO. 

All of this piecemeal we've been doing is all coming down to the same thing: censoring one political group while advocating another political group is no good for either group, it's done in bad faith and it certainly doesn't let people make up their own minds. 

But if you're only following a group of less than 10 people then it's not going to sink in to you the way it would somebody else who follows a wide variety of people. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Oct 15, 2020 12:51 PM

very little of anything except the most egregious fake/untrue news/lies are censored from either direction.  its not that serious.  unless you have examples of things that are true that were censored.  Very very low percent of fake stuff is censored. there arent tons of examples

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 12:51 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

TYT = The Young Turks. They're probably the largest and most successful progressive political podcast. And yes, they have had their moment of hate speech too. Which is why I asked if you've ever paid attention to them. 

And "what is hate speech?" is currently part of the hot topic of social medias because it's been pretty obvious that the hate speech rules flow one way. I believe that hate speech is targeting your vitriol towards one group, inciting violence can also fall under that umbrella. Certainly "removing conservatives from society" is a mixture of both IMO. 

All of this piecemeal we've been doing is all coming down to the same thing: censoring one political group while advocating another political group is no good for either group, it's done in bad faith and it certainly doesn't let people make up their own minds. 

But if you're only following a group of less than 10 people then it's not going to sink in to you the way it would somebody else who follows a wide variety of people. 

After looking them up, I have seen them shared before. I had no idea who they were though. 

You’re both probably right since I’m not immersed in this stuff that I don’t see the extent to which it’s shutdown. It just seems too coincidental that my far left and far right friends both claim only their stuff is censored.   

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 1:02 PM
posted by geeblock

very little of anything except the most egregious fake/untrue news/lies are censored from either direction.  its not that serious.  unless you have examples of things that are true that were censored.  Very very low percent of fake stuff is censored. there arent tons of examples

This is just absolutely false. 

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 1:07 PM

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJ5AACsk/

This makes me laugh cuz it’s like listening to my dads cousin lol. Dudes an alcoholic bum who’s only job is selling junk at a flea market lol. But talks about everything Trump has done for him.  It’s like dude you make like $20 a week selling shit from a dumpster at a flea market lol 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 15, 2020 1:13 PM

He made $15 a week under Obama. Checkmate.

ernest_t_bass 12th Son of the Lama
26,698 posts 204 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Oct 15, 2020 2:17 PM

Kizer is Sleeper, right?

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 2:20 PM
posted by ernest_t_bass

Kizer is Sleeper, right?

lol no, unless sleeper has a kid old enough to go to school. 

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 5:53 AM

Has anyone been following the Steve Scully fake hack debacle?  Keep this in mind next time a "credible" source (by name) reports a story with very weak supporting evidence. 

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 7:38 AM
posted by like_that

Has anyone been following the Steve Scully fake hack debacle?  Keep this in mind next time a "credible" source (by name) reports a story with very weak supporting evidence. 

I saw it lol. Dude didn't even have the RayBan sunglasses advert to back him up!

To be fair, though, I don't see the need for him to lie in the first place. His tweet was to Scaramucci (I probably butchered that spelling) asking if he should respond to Trump. I think that's fairly innocuous and don't see the need to lie about it. And then weeks later admit to it and apologize.

Just stupid, imo

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 7:57 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I saw it lol. Dude didn't even have the RayBan sunglasses advert to back him up!

To be fair, though, I don't see the need for him to lie in the first place. His tweet was to Scaramucci (I probably butchered that spelling) asking if he should respond to Trump. I think that's fairly innocuous and don't see the need to lie about it. And then weeks later admit to it and apologize.

Just stupid, imo

Exactly.  Yeah, the optics did not look the best for a debate moderator, but every sane person already knew where he leaned.  The lie made it worse.  Just like the Hunter Biden story becomming bigger after Twitter and Facebook censored the story. 

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 9:58 AM
posted by geeblock

https://twitter.com/robferdman/status/1310652763018342400?s=20

this whole thread sounds legit

Wrong thread?

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 9:58 AM

LOL

Login