Pro Golf Thread

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 15, 2022 11:38 AM

I’m just going to watch to see who plays the best and manages the course the best, really really don’t care about anything else

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 15, 2022 12:20 PM
posted by kizer permanente

eh.. you're a hypocrite if you have an issue with these guys playing for Saudi backed money and Saudi backed money is in literally everything and no one gives a fuck otherwise, 

Definitely not 1-1. Supporting/using products that also use Saudi money/products or do business in Saudi Arabia is different than being employed by a Saudi owned company.

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, Jun 15, 2022 12:42 PM
posted by Laley23

Definitely not 1-1. Supporting/using products that also use Saudi money/products or do business in Saudi Arabia is different than being employed by a Saudi owned company.

It's grandstanding, plain and simple. The principal remains. You care about one and not the other. They're both effectively accomplishing the intended purpose for the Saudis, but one has a little nuance so its harder for the brain to grasp I guess. Point remains unchanged though. 

Wed, Jun 15, 2022 12:49 PM

To be clear. I don’t care what they do. I’d take the money as well.

But they are making a very poor choice for their careers outside of the money and public reaction. They aren’t competing. They aren’t playing real golf. They wont have a legacy (other than Phil and DJ who have an established one). I also don’t see how this league survives, unless the euro/pga tours allow it to coexist and members flow between it. At some point, spending billions a year with no return will run thin — even on oil money.

Wed, Jun 15, 2022 12:54 PM
posted by Laley23

To be clear. I don’t care what they do. I’d take the money as well.

But they are making a very poor choice for their careers outside of the money and public reaction. They aren’t competing. They aren’t playing real golf. They wont have a legacy (other than Phil and DJ who have an established one). I also don’t see how this league survives, unless the euro/pga tours allow it to coexist and members flow between it. At some point, spending billions a year with no return will run thin — even on oil money.

I don't disagree with that. I just don't care for the people pretending they care. No ones ever offered them 9 figures and won't or they'd quit the moral high horse. 

Wed, Jun 15, 2022 1:02 PM

I don't disagree with that. I just don't care for the people pretending they care. No ones ever offered them 9 figures and won't or they'd quit the moral high horse. 

For the internet folks and journalists, sure.

But I think we also have to acknowledge than Rahm, Rory, Morikawa, Vik, etc all turned down DJ money — give or take some millions. So when they speak on it, I do respect their words. They backed it up…

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Jun 15, 2022 1:04 PM

It helps me not care in that I have always disliked Phil, don’t like DJ, can’t stand Sergio, and don’t like Patrick Reed.  Those are the headliners and I wouldn’t watch a PGA tourney with only those guys on the leaderboard. 

Wed, Jun 15, 2022 1:08 PM
posted by Laley23

For the internet folks and journalists, sure.

But I think we also have to acknowledge than Rahm, Rory, Morikawa, Vik, etc all turned down DJ money — give or take some millions. So when they speak on it, I do respect their words. They backed it up…

Every one of those guys still have a lot more wins in the tank and are trying to cement their legacy too... otherwise they'd be right there with them. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 15, 2022 2:26 PM

...and Greg Norman is a jackass.  

Wed, Jun 15, 2022 6:41 PM

Every one of those guys still have a lot more wins in the tank and are trying to cement their legacy too... otherwise they'd be right there with them. 

I don’t even know what that means. DJ, Bryson, Reed, Gooch, etc don’t have tons of wins left?

Tiger was offered just short of $1B and didn’t go. Does he count at least?

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jun 15, 2022 8:21 PM

I do think it’s funny that they can still do three of the majors. I get the Saudi stuff, but if I’m DJ and they give me 150m, I get it. Set you and your grandchildren for life. Not that he needed it.

How do you turn that down?

Ironman92 Administrator
Wed, Jun 15, 2022 9:12 PM

Rahm said he was offered the big money and he said it wouldn’t change his life one bit.

Wed, Jun 15, 2022 9:33 PM
posted by Laley23

I don’t even know what that means. DJ, Bryson, Reed, Gooch, etc don’t have tons of wins left?

Tiger was offered just short of $1B and didn’t go. Does he count at least?

Bryson hasn’t gone yet has he? And I’d definitely say DJ’s best days are behind him. His days of winning multiple events, let alone majors are past him. 

Tiger is already a Billionaire (again) but I guess I see your point.   

Wed, Jun 15, 2022 10:24 PM

Bryson hasn’t gone yet has he? And I’d definitely say DJ’s best days are behind him. His days of winning multiple events, let alone majors are past him. 

Tiger is already a Billionaire (again) but I guess I see your point.   

Bryson is going to the next event. He has resigned from the Tour. $100M.

I disagree that DJ is done winning multiple events. He has won an event for like 13 straight seasons which will (likely) end now that he misses half of this year. He was by far the best player in world less than 1.5 yrs ago and currently only 37. If he wants, that’s another 5+ years at a high level. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jun 16, 2022 11:27 AM
posted by iclfan2

I do think it’s funny that they can still do three of the majors. I get the Saudi stuff, but if I’m DJ and they give me 150m, I get it. Set you and your grandchildren for life. Not that he needed it.

How do you turn that down?

At some point doesn't it just become a number? I believe I saw an estimated net worth of $50 million for him prior to the LIV deal. The question would seem to be what does he want to do that he couldn't have done at that level of wealth?

Thu, Jun 16, 2022 11:50 AM
posted by queencitybuckeye

At some point doesn't it just become a number? I believe I saw an estimated net worth of $50 million for him prior to the LIV deal. The question would seem to be what does he want to do that he couldn't have done at that level of wealth?

It does. But I dont know that DJ was there, or even close (unless you factor in Gretzky). Like DJ just got more money to tee it up 12 times than Tiger has made in his career. And the purses for these tournaments are nuts. So if he wins a few times, hes gonna make 5x what he made for winning the US Open. That facotrs in a ton for the fringe guys going also...their fee is only $5M, but coming in 10th on the LIV is gonna pay them as much as making cuts for 10 years on Tour.

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Jun 16, 2022 3:36 PM

Watching them show Phil is brutal 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Jun 16, 2022 5:26 PM
posted by Ironman92

Watching them show Phil is brutal 

I’m sure he’s got his goofy smile and loping walk going full butt ass.

Ironman92 Administrator
Thu, Jun 16, 2022 6:47 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I’m sure he’s got his goofy smile and loping walk going full butt ass.

Not really. The crowd is being very respectful and he’s getting some cheers. A very kind golf crowd. I’d like to hear his comments afterwards. I’d guess he’s touched a bit but won’t mean anything in the long run. 

The crowd is just enjoying the participants. Been a good watch on this 100 degree day. Great course.

Fletch Member
0 posts 3 reps Joined Nov 2020
Fri, Jun 17, 2022 9:52 AM

Phil better clean up his game for the big money LIV tour(BTW is a stupid ducking name).  They will run him off of it if he is going to shoot high 70’s

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login