Pro Golf Thread

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 11, 2022 11:10 AM

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 11, 2022 4:28 PM

Just spent the day watching the Pro Am. 

1) It’s hot and while it’s a long course thankfully it’s a very walkable course. 

2) Driving is going to be the key for the winner.

My Picks:

I’ll make bets on Scheffler, Speith and Mitchell 

I’ll also throw some money on Mitchell top 5 top 10 and to make the cut and Dustin Johnson top 5. Maybe Zalatoris.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, May 12, 2022 4:30 PM

I’m not one to worry much about the stability of the PGA Tour, but I do think Greg Norman needs a PR firm badly. IDGAF if there is a Saudi sponsored tour.  Those guys that play for the Saudis - they have to live with themselves and that’s their business. I can chose whether or not to watch it.  But Norman’s characterizing the Saudis executing that WasPo reporter as “we all make mistakes” is a WTF.  Phil, Sergio and Norman are not the most likable trio of all time. 

Thu, May 12, 2022 11:57 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I’m not one to worry much about the stability of the PGA Tour, but I do think Greg Norman needs a PR firm badly. IDGAF if there is a Saudi sponsored tour.  Those guys that play for the Saudis - they have to live with themselves and that’s their business. I can chose whether or not to watch it.  But Norman’s characterizing the Saudis executing that WasPo reporter as “we all make mistakes” is a WTF.  Phil, Sergio and Norman are not the most likable trio of all time. 

Agreed. I did hear a lot of Europeans today defending Lee Westwood saying that the European tour plays tournaments there already so what’s it matter if he plays in another one. It will be interesting to see who decides to truly go.

Fri, May 13, 2022 12:02 AM

Also Quick note before today I had only been to the memorial. The Bryan Nelson is much more a “party tournament”. I think their goal is to be like Phoenix. On the 17th for example the stands were blaring music so there was no point in asking the crowd to quiet down. It was 95 and 100% sun today no clouds to be found. 

Fri, May 13, 2022 8:28 AM
posted by sportchampps

Also Quick note before today I had only been to the memorial. The Bryan Nelson is much more a “party tournament”. I think their goal is to be like Phoenix. On the 17th for example the stands were blaring music so there was no point in asking the crowd to quiet down. It was 95 and 100% sun today no clouds to be found. 

That seems to be a trend at certain events.  The Memorial will not go down this road for sure, but I can see others doing it to attract spectators.  Like other sports, the TV experience in golf is really good, so there has to be creativity in maintaining attendance.  Same situation college football is facing  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 13, 2022 9:59 AM
posted by sportchampps

Munoz had an incredible round. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, May 13, 2022 9:59 AM

Not a fan of Greg Norman, at all.

Fri, May 13, 2022 10:58 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Not a fan of Greg Norman, at all.

He’s choking on this current issue like he did to Nick Faldo - in grand fashion.  

Fri, May 13, 2022 7:07 PM

Today didn’t seem as hot even though it was maybe the because the hole I was at most of the day had a nice breeze. Speith put himself in contention for the weekend. 

Sat, May 14, 2022 4:12 PM

Home much earlier today because it was just to hot today. Was about 94 with no breeze to speak of and no clouds. We sat at 8 and 10 so we saw some great shots from both Speith and Scheffler today. Hopefully the leaderboard stays like this and we will be looking at an exciting Sunday.

Tue, May 17, 2022 4:38 PM

I have never personally liked Phil Mickelson. But I can’t understand why the fallout from his comments is so severe and that he is choosing to not play in majors.  I feel like I’m missing something here.  Yes, the proposed cash grab from the Saudis was a bad look considering how Saudi operates.  But it wasn’t like he threw away his American citizenship to become a Saudi citizen. Athletes and celebrities whore themselves out for a living.  I guess I just can’t understand why this rises above the level of “dumbass Phil put his foot in it.  So what.”  

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, May 17, 2022 9:50 PM

I have never personally liked Phil Mickelson. But I can’t understand why the fallout from his comments is so severe and that he is choosing to not play in majors.  I feel like I’m missing something here.  Yes, the proposed cash grab from the Saudis was a bad look considering how Saudi operates.  But it wasn’t like he threw away his American citizenship to become a Saudi citizen. Athletes and celebrities whore themselves out for a living.  I guess I just can’t understand why this rises above the level of “dumbass Phil put his foot in it.  So what.”  

Talk shit about the tour, the tour probably gonna do everything in their power to keep you out, which is what’s happening.

Coupled with the fact none of the players like him, and then he tried to take money away from them…not really a whole lot of reasons for him to even want to play.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, May 18, 2022 11:43 AM

Who do we like this week?  

Wed, May 18, 2022 11:47 AM
posted by Laley23

Talk shit about the tour, the tour probably gonna do everything in their power to keep you out, which is what’s happening.

Coupled with the fact none of the players like him, and then he tried to take money away from them…not really a whole lot of reasons for him to even want to play.

I know the tour is mad at him, but why aren’t they then similarly shutting out Sergio, Westwood or even Fowler (who has left the door open to his joining the Saudi venture).  Those guys aren’t persona non grata the way Phil is.  All Phil did was say about the Saudis what everyone already knows.  

I just am not getting it.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, May 18, 2022 12:02 PM

at 18$ a beer i wouldnt count on it being too rowdy at the PGA this week lol

Wed, May 18, 2022 12:06 PM

I know the tour is mad at him, but why aren’t they then similarly shutting out Sergio, Westwood or even Fowler (who has left the door open to his joining the Saudi venture).  Those guys aren’t persona non grata the way Phil is.  All Phil did was say about the Saudis what everyone already knows.  

I just am not getting it.

Those guys are debating leaving. Phil slammed the tour, how they operate, wanting changes to be made and called Jay a dictator and tried to extort the tour. It is not in the same realm as Rickie basically saying "I suck now, might as well go to LIV with worse players and make money". 

Wed, May 18, 2022 12:15 PM
posted by Laley23

Those guys are debating leaving. Phil slammed the tour, how they operate, wanting changes to be made and called Jay a dictator and tried to extort the tour. It is not in the same realm as Rickie basically saying "I suck now, might as well go to LIV with worse players and make money". 

How did he try to extort the tour?

I see your points.  I’m just surprised at how big a deal it’s been.  

Wed, May 18, 2022 12:22 PM

How did he try to extort the tour?

I see your points.  I’m just surprised at how big a deal it’s been.  

Paraphrasing... "I dont even know if I want the LIV to succeed. But I am joining because we need changes made to the Tour. Maybe this will get the gears going. A new option for players with more money will force the changes we need the tour to make" 

Wed, May 18, 2022 12:26 PM
posted by Laley23

Paraphrasing... "I dont even know if I want the LIV to succeed. But I am joining because we need changes made to the Tour. Maybe this will get the gears going. A new option for players with more money will force the changes we need the tour to make" 

Extortion seems like a string word for that.

But I see your points.  Since I wasn’t looking forward to watching the gallery fawn all over Phil this week anyway, I’m glad he’s not there.  

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login