Pro Golf Thread

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 4:15 PM

I'm reading Cam Smith is going to LIV.  Other names I see too are Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler.   

This thing is not going away it seems.  Now Trump's getting involved.  Or at least more vocally as he was already involved by hosting events at his clubs.

How do you guys see this thing playing out?  

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 4:42 PM

I would predict the LIV Tour makes no money, and folds. Those who are financing it seem to have deep pockets, but even they won't want to continue with something not bringing in a return. I just don't know how long that is and I don't know what you do to those who jumped ship. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jul 18, 2022 4:56 PM

When most of us watch a golf tournament most of the players we know are THE guys or were in that group a few years ago….LIV catching those guys on the downswing if their careers and we know them….but as is it can’t last. Huge financials right now but passing out $40,000,000-$90,000,000 too often and at some point the finances run out. Golf being worldly gives it a better chance than the off best professional football leagues that get created….but who is watching their events? I’ve been watching PGA on TV on Sundays since the early 80’s….many viewers are my age or older. We don’t even know how to watch NIL and currently don’t care to. Can NIL grab a worldwide crowd 🤷🏻‍♂️….but they seem more Phoenix Open/Happy Gilmore…it could fly but they have to reel in us old fogies because the Phoenix Open crazies type won’t stick with it.

How are they ever going to build anything like the Masters? The British Open was awesome…DJ was in the mix and part of it, didn’t feel any different.

Mon, Jul 18, 2022 5:17 PM

I will say that the LIV doing shotgun starts is a fantastic idea, I think would benefit the tour a ton to do this on a Thursday/Friday. Gives you a set time on air to have a full broadcast and focus on everyone making moves in real-time. 

Mon, Jul 18, 2022 6:42 PM

David Fehrety set to go to LIV as commentator. 

Sat, Jul 30, 2022 3:44 PM

Bubba’s over to LIV.  $50 million - a lot more than he was going to make on tour at the rate he’s going.  Can’t blame him.  

Would love for one of these guys to have the balls to not say “it’s about growing the game”.  Be a man and say it was for the money.  Most people in the same position would do the same.  Quit this altruistic country club bs.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sun, Jul 31, 2022 2:49 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Bubba’s over to LIV.  $50 million - a lot more than he was going to make on tour at the rate he’s going.  Can’t blame him.  

Would love for one of these guys to have the balls to not say “it’s about growing the game”.  Be a man and say it was for the money.  Most people in the same position would do the same.  Quit this altruistic country club bs.

I think it’s part of the deal to not straight up say “yeah, I’m just trying to get paid.”
Ironman92 Administrator
Sun, Jul 31, 2022 9:52 AM

Saying tickets are very cheap, hardly anyone there and no tournament feel at all.

Sun, Jul 31, 2022 5:24 PM
posted by like_that
I think it’s part of the deal to not straight up say “yeah, I’m just trying to get paid.”

I know you’re right.  But Jesus, listening to the likes of Bubba or Patrick Reed or DJ suggesting they are doing this to grow the game.  Of course Bubba and his wife also prayed on it and apparently God wants him to take the $50 million.  

Sun, Jul 31, 2022 5:25 PM
posted by Ironman92

Saying tickets are very cheap, hardly anyone there and no tournament feel at all.

It sounds more like a Trump rally with some golf in the background  

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 1, 2022 11:13 AM

Meanwhile, Tony Finau is on a roll. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Mon, Aug 1, 2022 12:44 PM
posted by QuakerOats

Meanwhile, Tony Finau is on a roll. 

Yep….was always close early in season now way over those humps. Winning easily.

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Aug 2, 2022 12:24 PM

So Tiger turned down $700,000,000 from the LIV Tour?

Are these monies offered something where you can never return to the PGA Tour as long as LIV is up and running?

Tue, Aug 2, 2022 1:33 PM
posted by Ironman92

So Tiger turned down $700,000,000 from the LIV Tour?

Are these monies offered something where you can never return to the PGA Tour as long as LIV is up and running?

The PGA Tour has banned anyone who leaves for LIV. PGA, Euro, Asian, and DP World are the 4 tours that work together and stagger the calendar to allow players back and forth on events. I know PGA and DP World has banned anyone going to LIV, not sure on the others. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Tue, Aug 2, 2022 3:00 PM
posted by Laley23

The PGA Tour has banned anyone who leaves for LIV. PGA, Euro, Asian, and DP World are the 4 tours that work together and stagger the calendar to allow players back and forth on events. I know PGA and DP World has banned anyone going to LIV, not sure on the others. 

But for $700,000,000 could Tiger leave, take the money in full and then return….maybe using a chunk of the money to make it worth the PGA’s while.

Just wondering seeing how those LIV money works…assuming you can’t say anything bad about LIV and have to stay for a # of years to get the money in full.

Tue, Aug 2, 2022 3:03 PM
posted by Ironman92

But for $700,000,000 could Tiger leave, take the money in full and then return….maybe using a chunk of the money to make it worth the PGA’s while.

Just wondering seeing how those LIV money works…assuming you can’t say anything bad about LIV and have to stay for a # of years to get the money in full.

I dont know. They arent dumb, so I am sure there are provisions. They have to play a certain amount etc...

Tue, Aug 2, 2022 5:52 PM

I still can’t understand the vitriol towards the LIV players.  Even if the thing is one giant exhibition, so what.  As far as “blood money”, that train left the station decades ago.  Our global financial system is so entertained that there is no way any one of us can’t say we’ve ever received money directly or indirectly from a shady player.  

I may have zero interest in watching it, but I don’t begrudge anyone for joining it.  My only beef is listening to them talk about their reason as being to “spread the game of golf”.  Give that a rest.

Tue, Aug 2, 2022 9:15 PM

The vitriol is because it’s ruining the game for fans. Splitting the top stuff in 2 sucks for us as fans.

I would 100% take the money, so I don’t care about that. But I can also realize it’s not remotely the same as doing business with (NBA in China) or in a shady country. It’s being directly employed by them, by choice. 

Wed, Aug 3, 2022 7:02 AM
posted by Laley23

The vitriol is because it’s ruining the game for fans. Splitting the top stuff in 2 sucks for us as fans.

I would 100% take the money, so I don’t care about that. But I can also realize it’s not remotely the same as doing business with (NBA in China) or in a shady country. It’s being directly employed by them, by choice. 

I get what you’re saying.  Having Trump involved with his friends Tucker and Marjorie Greene is probably a turn off to many too.  I guess I just don’t care.  Patrick Reed is spreading the message of golf to the poor children of the world, go for it. 😉

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 7, 2022 6:36 PM

Impressive win by the 20 year-old J Kim today. Second youngest winner since like 1932. He started the tournament with an 8 and still won by 5 strokes.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login