2020 NFL Preseason

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:02 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Just heard that Miami plans on going all in, trying to trade up to #1 with the Bengals.

Also saw where Cincy released Dre Kirkpatrick.

They've got a ton of draft capital, they certainly have the best shot at it. Bengals would have to seriously consider picks #5, #18, #26. I'd ask for a 2021 1st rounder as well.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:12 PM
posted by justincredible

They've got a ton of draft capital, they certainly have the best shot at it. Bengals would have to seriously consider picks #5, #18, #26. I'd ask for a 2021 1st rounder as well.

I mean it might not be a terrible idea. They could either use #5 on a QB or load up and roll with the Ginger Water Pistol for another year. I think Burrow is very good but I'm not 100% sold on him being elite.

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:15 PM

If a team like Miami is willing to throw 3 or 4 1st rounders my way I'd gladly pass on Burrow. He's good, but I don't think he's THAT good.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 1:29 PM
posted by justincredible

If a team like Miami is willing to throw 3 or 4 1st rounders my way I'd gladly pass on Burrow. He's good, but I don't think he's THAT good.

I don't know.  Certainly no QB is can't-miss, but Burrow is in class/level that's almost too foolish to pass on.  A comp rate of 57.7% in 2018 does give you pause, but even with mismatches all over the field in 2019 he still consistently put the ball into impossible windows.  The accuracy/throws he showed last year is pretty rare.  There are definitely future busts that were really just system guys or guys carried by a wealth of mismatch talent, but I don't think Burrow is one of those guys.

That said, it's no longer as crucial to have a HOF-level QB to win a SB.  So there probably is an actual price for Burrow in today's league, where 10-15 years there's not a remotely realistic offer you'd take for the rights to a guy like that.

BR1986FB Senior Member
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 2:31 PM

Assuming the season is played this year, the league voted to expand to 7 playoff teams in each conference...3 wildcards with the #1 seed getting the bye. Was obviously talked about but now confirmed.

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 2:47 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Assuming the season is played this year, the league voted to expand to 7 playoff teams in each conference...3 wildcards with the #1 seed getting the bye. Was obviously talked about but now confirmed.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 4:17 PM
posted by BR1986FB

Well, I suppose I should be happy because I think the 5 times PIT missed the playoffs the last 12 years or whatever they would have been the 7th seed.

I don't like the competitive balance of 1 bye.  But I think the advantage comes mostly from one less game facing elimination, and one more week to rest and get healthy.  The rust definitely shows, though, and has caught more than a few teams.

I'm sure before long they eventually go to 8 teams, and then you've really marginalized the regular season.  Becomes a much tougher decision to play a guy who's hurt when it only potentially affects seeding and not making the post-season.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:42 PM
posted by gut

Well, I suppose I should be happy because I think the 5 times PIT missed the playoffs the last 12 years or whatever they would have been the 7th seed.

I don't like the competitive balance of 1 bye.  But I think the advantage comes mostly from one less game facing elimination, and one more week to rest and get healthy.  The rust definitely shows, though, and has caught more than a few teams.

I'm sure before long they eventually go to 8 teams, and then you've really marginalized the regular season.  Becomes a much tougher decision to play a guy who's hurt when it only potentially affects seeding and not making the post-season.

The last like 7 SB winners had a bye. It doesn’t bite anyone outside of occasional randomness. It’s a huge advantage. I would venture more teams with a bye have won the SB than have lost their first game. 

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:50 PM
posted by gut

That said, it's no longer as crucial to have a HOF-level QB to win a SB.  So there probably is an actual price for Burrow in today's league, where 10-15 years there's not a remotely realistic offer you'd take for the rights to a guy like that.

Which QB the last 15ish years says this is true?

• Brady
  • Mahomes
  • Wilson
  • Manning
  • Manning
  • Roethlisberger
  • Flacco
  • Foles
  • Rodgers
  • Brees

I count 2. You’ve always been able to get it done without a HOFer at QB. Brad Johnson, Dilfer SNF maybe a few others. But if anything, it was more prevalent before the last 15 years. 

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:51 PM
posted by justincredible

Take it from the Browns...don’t pass up on the top QB. You’ll look foolish for years. 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 10:54 PM

Bengals can’t pass on Burrow. Period.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 11:45 PM

Burrow is great, but he’s not a sure thing (no one is). He had one great year in college and practically that entire offense is going to the NFL, and the passing game coordinator wasn’t there his junior year when he looked pedestrian. 
If the Bengals could trade back to 5, get an Okudah at 5, a WR at 18, and an OT at 26 (getting all 3 of those picks from the dolphins), and then sign cam newton, how do they pass that up? 

Tue, Mar 31, 2020 11:50 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Burrow is great, but he’s not a sure thing (no one is). He had one great year in college and practically that entire offense is going to the NFL, and the passing game coordinator wasn’t there his junior year when he looked pedestrian. 
If the Bengals could trade back to 5, get an Okudah at 5, a WR at 18, and an OT at 26 (getting all 3 of those picks from the dolphins), and then sign cam newton, how do they pass that up? 

If this was the Browns, I feel you’d be posting the opposite, have to take the QB. Nothing else matters until then.

SportsAndLady Senior Member
39,070 posts 24 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Mar 31, 2020 11:57 PM
posted by Laley23

If this was the Browns, I feel you’d be posting the opposite, have to take the QB. Nothing else matters until then.

I’m a new poster on here, not sure how youd know my football drafting history! 
Im just saying, if the dolphins would give them 3 first rounders this year and they could sign a very good free agent QB, it’d be tough to turn that down. 
My issue with the browns doing that would have been they wouldn’t have signed any QB and would have trotted out deshone kizer and Kessler as their starters. 

Wed, Apr 1, 2020 10:35 AM

If I'm the Bengals, I request all 2020 (3) and 2021 (2) 1st rounders from Miami. Does Miami go for that?

Wed, Apr 1, 2020 12:20 PM

NFL planning to start the season on schedule.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108001/article/nfl-planning-to-begin-2020-nfl-season-as-scheduled

BR1986FB Senior Member
Wed, Apr 1, 2020 2:43 PM
posted by justincredible

NFL planning to start the season on schedule.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108001/article/nfl-planning-to-begin-2020-nfl-season-as-scheduled

Heard an interview with Schefter where he got a little "melty", basically criticizing the league for moving forward, as scheduled. My take is that if the NFL can move forward with business as usual without contact/exposing people, they should. Other companies that can, are. Besides, as a group, we NEED something like this to take away from the daily doom & gloom.

I saw a proposal where they thought about stretching the draft out over 7 nights, having a round each night. Not sure a great idea except for the super nerd draftniks who know about "Joe Phillips, Edge-Georgia Truck & Diesel Academy" in the late 7th round.

thavoice Senior Member
15,437 posts 42 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Apr 3, 2020 9:27 AM
posted by BR1986FB

Heard an interview with Schefter where he got a little "melty", basically criticizing the league for moving forward, as scheduled. My take is that if the NFL can move forward with business as usual without contact/exposing people, they should. Other companies that can, are. Besides, as a group, we NEED something like this to take away from the daily doom & gloom.

I saw a proposal where they thought about stretching the draft out over 7 nights, having a round each night. Not sure a great idea except for the super nerd draftniks who know about "Joe Phillips, Edge-Georgia Truck & Diesel Academy" in the late 7th round.

I have no issue with them moving forward as usual.

It may hurt a few who were hoping to impress at pro days and such, but for the most part I hope this does not make teams try to find excuses to not draft people like it has in the past.

I wouldnt go 7 nights for the draft as its overkill but its best to keep it going as is.  It isnt like they would be able to delay it long enough that it would be open to public like in the past. I think that would be too far out.   

Keep it where it is, people are yearning for something like this.  It was glorious the first few days of FA when the focus was on football and not fear mongering.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Apr 3, 2020 3:24 PM
posted by Laley23

Which QB the last 15ish years says this is true?

• Brady
  • Mahomes
  • Wilson
  • Manning
  • Manning
  • Roethlisberger
  • Flacco
  • Foles
  • Rodgers
  • Brees

I count 2. You’ve always been able to get it done without a HOFer at QB. Brad Johnson, Dilfer SNF maybe a few others. But if anything, it was more prevalent before the last 15 years. 

OK, I was a little sloppy - if we said the last 20 years, then we include Johnson and Dilfer.  To go with Foles, Flacco, and honestly Eli(2) the past 15 years.  That's 6 out of 20.

And when I did this exercise a few years ago, I think the percentage was over 75-80% SB's won by a HOFer before 2000.  And like 2/3 of the losing teams had a HOF QB (which has changed more).

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Apr 4, 2020 12:00 AM

Is the draft still going on exactly as planned? Or have they modified it? I think canceling it all together would be ridiculous. There's plenty of ways to have it while still practicing social distance. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login