Streaming - July 2019 edition

wildcats20 In ROY I Trust!!
29,653 posts 76 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Sep 19, 2019 11:44 AM
posted by Laley23

That works too. Which is what I did for over 3 years. But when the AirTV was integrated I bought one. I got annoyed of having to change inputs for my OTA channels and having them integrated into the same guide was worth the $100 or whatever to me. 

So now I’m confused. 

I thought I read what you said before as you plug the antenna into the AirTV box? Would I not need an antenna if I bought the AirTV box?

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Sep 19, 2019 12:57 PM
posted by wildcats20

So now I’m confused. 

I thought I read what you said before as you plug the antenna into the AirTV box? Would I not need an antenna if I bought the AirTV box?

You do. But if you don’t go with AirTV, and just the antenna, it works the same way as if you had regular cable (IE you have to switch from an HDMI source to regular TV input to get the OTA antenna channels. That’s what I did for 3 years.

Then when AirTV came around, I looked into it. And while AirTV streams on the same hdmi input as say a roku, it would still be a separate app — so exit Sling/Hulu/etc to go to AirTV and watch those channels.

Then finally AirTV partnered with sling to integrate those channels right into their guide. No exiting the app to get OTA. That’s when I pulled the trigger and bought one. Still use that same antenna, but now plug right into AirTV versus into the TV itself. It also will broadcast those channels to every device on your WiFi versus antenna into tv only going to that specific tv.

Thu, Sep 19, 2019 1:42 PM
posted by Laley23

You do. But if you don’t go with AirTV, and just the antenna, it works the same way as if you had regular cable (IE you have to switch from an HDMI source to regular TV input to get the OTA antenna channels. That’s what I did for 3 years.

Then when AirTV came around, I looked into it. And while AirTV streams on the same hdmi input as say a roku, it would still be a separate app — so exit Sling/Hulu/etc to go to AirTV and watch those channels.

Then finally AirTV partnered with sling to integrate those channels right into their guide. No exiting the app to get OTA. That’s when I pulled the trigger and bought one. Still use that same antenna, but now plug right into AirTV versus into the TV itself. It also will broadcast those channels to every device on your WiFi versus antenna into tv only going to that specific tv.

Ok. I got it now. Thanks for dimbing it down for me. 

Zoltan Senior Member
1,008 posts 11 reps Joined Feb 2010
Fri, Sep 20, 2019 9:23 AM

Still content with DirecTV. Anytime my bill goes up I call, threaten to cancel and they cave. I am at $100 per month for a soild DTV package and internet. Also paying for netflix now and ESPN+. 

Fri, Sep 20, 2019 7:40 PM
posted by Zoltan

Still content with DirecTV. Anytime my bill goes up I call, threaten to cancel and they cave. I am at $100 per month for a soild DTV package and internet. Also paying for netflix now and ESPN+. 

But no internet. And the signal goes out in weather. $100 for cable is a great deal when you are dealing with companies trying to charge $200+, but that’s still shitty. That’s nearly double what my cable is and I get every channel I could ever want. 

Fri, Sep 20, 2019 7:57 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on Playstation Vue? Friends of ours use it and seem to be happy with it. 

Fri, Sep 20, 2019 8:18 PM
posted by wildcats20

Anyone have any thoughts on Playstation Vue? Friends of ours use it and seem to be happy with it. 

Check to see what their contracts are like. I read they are about to lose some channels. My friend tried it, Sling and YouTube. Went YouTube over sling and said vue was the worst.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login