College Football 2022

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Feb 3, 2022 12:19 PM

I'll kick this off with the news that after flirting with the Vikings, Jim Harbaugh is staying at Michigan.  

As a Buckeye, I'm okay with this.  Despite what happened last year, he's still only 1-5 against Ohio State.  My gut tells me that last year was a once-in-a-decade year for Michigan.  I see a lot of 8-5, 9-4 years ahead with plenty of more losses to OSU.

Were I a Michigan fan, I'd be lukewarm about this.  I'd look at it as Harbaugh having gone out to gauge his worth and deciding he wasn't going to find anything better than the situation he has in Ann Arbor.  Nothing wrong with testing the market I guess.  But for recruits and fans, it seems to say that I'm always looking for a better deal (and all the consequences that may invite).  Now he's saying he'll "never leave" Michigan.  But we all know how trustworthy statements like that are.  

My conclusion - a weird dude who promoted himself hard for an NFL job this year, didn't get nearly as much interest as he'd hoped (one team vs 4-5) and decided he best hold onto what he has.  I hope the Buckeyes kick his ass next year in Columbus.  That is assuming UM doesn't run into another "Covid situation" that forces them to cancel...like the cowards they are.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 3, 2022 12:30 PM

Harbaugh has had his issues with OSU and MSU. But he has still put up very, very good seasons at UofM. Not beating OSU is always the "gotta go" thing, but as an outsider, Michigan shouldnt want him gone. I feel they have played 3x in his 6 seasons and UofM was top-10 in 3 of those years (ie, win that game and looking at the playoff). 

Thu, Feb 3, 2022 3:53 PM
posted by Laley23

Harbaugh has had his issues with OSU and MSU. But he has still put up very, very good seasons at UofM. Not beating OSU is always the "gotta go" thing, but as an outsider, Michigan shouldnt want him gone. I feel they have played 3x in his 6 seasons and UofM was top-10 in 3 of those years (ie, win that game and looking at the playoff). 

These are fair points.  I just see them sliding back into mediocrity.  Harbaugh doesn't seem to last anywhere long as his act gets very old.  UM is different because he's a "Michigan Man" and they went all in with him.  But everyone has a breaking point.  Harbaugh will show the UM administration there's someday in the future.  

Bottom line, he thought he was the bee's knees in the NFL circles.  He believed he'd have the pick of jobs, so he left his players, staff and school dangling while he "courted offers".  Only one interviewed and no offers came.  So he will comeback to Michigan with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind guide the Wolverines back to where they belong - in the middle of the Big Ten pack.

33,369 posts 132 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 3, 2022 3:56 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

These are fair points.  I just see them sliding back into mediocrity.  Harbaugh doesn't seem to last anywhere long as his act gets very old.  UM is different because he's a "Michigan Man" and they went all in with him.  But everyone has a breaking point.  Harbaugh will show the UM administration there's someday in the future.  

Bottom line, he thought he was the bee's knees in the NFL circles.  He believed he'd have the pick of jobs, so he left his players, staff and school dangling while he "courted offers".  Only one interviewed and no offers came.  So he will comeback to Michigan with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind guide the Wolverines back to where they belong - in the middle of the Big Ten pack.

Yeah, I dont doubt any of the NFL stuff...thinking he could get what he wanted and where. 

Regarding wearing thin places and having to move on because of his personality and weirdness -- its kinda why I think college (especially his Alma Mater) is perfect. Longest he will have to deal with anyone of importance, player wise, is 5 years. 

Mon, Feb 7, 2022 11:27 AM

I am reading that Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin is under fire for losing a ton of players to transfer and several assistants as well.  Auburn finished Harsin's first season 6-7.  Sounds like the sharks are circling.  I recently moved back to Ohio after living in Alabama for six years.  While not a fan of the Crimson Tide, I respect Saban and what he's done there.  Auburn however I developed a deep distain for.  It is the stereotypical southern, good ol boy backwater.  Boosters have huge sway over everything that happens there, the fans believe they are entitled to Alabama's success and the town exists frozen in 1950.  I am enjoying watching these "gentile" leaders shit all over themselves while they scramble to save their wayward ship.  

They are the Tigers.  But they fly and eagle around before games and yell "War Eagle" at each other.  Tells you what you need to know. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login