2021 Healthy Living Thread

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 10, 2021 9:27 PM

How's everyone doing in 2021 so far? 

I did not have a healthy 2020 so needed to make a change for the new year. I've averaged over 5 miles a day on the treadmill and have been eating a lot less fast food and take out this year. So far this year, we've ordered Indian take-out every Friday night, and go to the same local brewery every Thursday for 2-3 beers. Outside of that, we've only consumed alcohol we already had in the house and have only eaten meals we've fixed ourselves. I'm down about 12 pounds, and only need to drop another 8-10 to hit my goal weight.

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 164 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 10, 2021 10:30 PM

I lost a ton of weight last year but have some bad plantar/achilles issues....2021 hasn’t been good on the health early on.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 9:39 AM

I already live a healthy lifestyle and really dont need to change.

Eat Non GMO food, mostly organic.  I cook 90% of my food in my home from scratch.  Eat meat that I killed myself.

Training for another Boston Marathon qualifier.

I am severely weak on the muscle strength side though.  Need to up my gym game.

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 123 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 9:59 AM
posted by Ironman92

I lost a ton of weight last year but have some bad plantar/achilles issues....2021 hasn’t been good on the health early on.

That's the worst. Dealt with a plantar issue that took 9+ months to finally go away.

As far as health goes, eating well (no sugar) and haven't missed a workout since Covid hit. I'm dealing with a front delt issue which makes certain exercises pretty painful. Unfortunately I have to walk outside as the belt on my treadmill folded over and couldn't get it fixed correctly.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 10:23 AM

An already 'healthy' wine budget increased exponentially last year.  That will need to be brought under control a bit going forward. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 12:14 PM

Been skipping breakfast and eating normal lunch and dinner.  Also been making high-intensity sprints (on the elliptical) the basis of my workouts.  I follow Sprint 8 which is a program of 30 second all out sprints followed by 90 second active recovery (8 rounds).  On the elliptical it is a man's workout.  I can't run anymore because of osteoarthritis in my knees, but that's part of being 50.  My weightlifting has gone more total body workouts instead of splits.  Splits were becoming too hard on my joints and tendons.  

OSH Kosh B'Gosh
4,424 posts 18 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 12:19 PM

Not great. Pants were way too tight the two times I wore them this year.

I have been doing great at the gym though, mainly lifting 5-6 days a week (since August 2020). Haven't lifted this much in probably 17 years or more. Got 205 in decline bench, 185 in flat bench, 295 in deadlift, and several other bests or best-in-a-long-time.

Verbal Kint Senior Member
1,062 posts 16 reps Joined Jul 2017
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 12:22 PM

Always nice to use this time of year as a great reset:

Workout everyday since December 26th.  Slowing down on reps for weights.  

Two weeks on no grains, no seed oils, no starches, no alcohol, only apples and berries as fruit (I don't include tomatoes or olives) sparingly.  Pretty sure I could live off of ground beef for an extended period of time, but I'd probably miss eggs too much.  Pretty much TwoMealsADay, 17-7 or 18-6 window. 

Get sunlight when it exist.

Shut down devices and get to bed at good hour. 

Feel great as this takes away inflammation and allows better movement.

Oh, have not attended any rallies, that helps my mental health.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 12:52 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Been skipping breakfast and eating normal lunch and dinner.  

I've mostly done this as well. Most of my calorie consumption has occurred between noon and 8pm.

Thu, Feb 11, 2021 1:26 PM
posted by justincredible

I've mostly done this as well. Most of my calorie consumption has occurred between noon and 8pm.

I am not that hungry when I wake up.  I've just heard all my life "You've got to eat breakfast", so I did.  From some basic research though, I've learned that there's nothing special about breakfast (e.g. you don't "kick start" your metabolism" by eating it).  If your body isn't hungry at that time, there's no sense of eating.  Those calories add up too.

Automatik Senior Member
15,737 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 3:04 PM

Diet is just ok, workouts are very inconsistent. I need to get my shit together. 

My sister has a Peleton and I just got a new road bike. Once the weather turns I'm going to be a Strava KOM!

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 11, 2021 3:12 PM
posted by justincredible

I've also tried doing this after reading up on intermittent fasting. My diet is ok with mostly eating salads for lunch and not large dinners.  Workouts are non-existent (it either has to be 6am or 7:30pm which both suck- due to kids). And alcohol intake still needs to come down more. 

When my wife gets her bonus we may order a Peleton, just not sure if I will use it/ like it. 

Fri, Feb 12, 2021 12:20 PM

The "trick" to IMF is satiety.  If you eat foods that trigger hunger you will still eat.

I sometimes need to remind myself that I have a window to eat lunch and hunger pains and hangry don't exist.

Fri, Feb 12, 2021 12:25 PM
posted by Verbal Kint

The "trick" to IMF is satiety.  If you eat foods that trigger hunger you will still eat.

I sometimes need to remind myself that I have a window to eat lunch and hunger pains and hangry don't exist.

That's what I like about this.  You never have to feel miserably hungry or unsatisfied.  You eat during the time of day that you actually desire food.  And if - as you say - you eat food that decent foods during your window, you won't struggle.  Of course if you chow down on potato chips and cookies during your open window, you're headed toward failure.  

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, Feb 17, 2021 11:04 PM
posted by BR1986FB

That's the worst. Dealt with a plantar issue that took 9+ months to finally go away.

As far as health goes, eating well (no sugar) and haven't missed a workout since Covid hit. I'm dealing with a front delt issue which makes certain exercises pretty painful. Unfortunately I have to walk outside as the belt on my treadmill folded over and couldn't get it fixed correctly.

I know you know your shit so... I started lifting again  end of last year when I bought my home gym equipment. I was mostly just doing cardio at the gym before. Anyways... so about 4 months into it, I felt some shoulder pain doing military press. Now it hurts same spot when I do bench press. Incline .. flat... doesn’t matter. Hurts. What did I do and what can I do to help it not hurt.  I don’t want to stop all my chest exercises. 

Anyone else is welcome to chime in too obviously. 

friendfromlowry Senior Member
7,778 posts 86 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 17, 2021 11:10 PM
posted by kizer permanente

I know you know your shit so... I started lifting again  end of last year when I bought my home gym equipment. I was mostly just doing cardio at the gym before. Anyways... so about 4 months into it, I felt some shoulder pain doing military press. Now it hurts same spot when I do bench press. Incline .. flat... doesn’t matter. Hurts. What did I do and what can I do to help it not hurt.  I don’t want to stop all my chest exercises. 

Anyone else is welcome to chime in too obviously. 

I don’t have anything to add to your issue but I have my own shoulder problem. I hurt my left one probably 2.5 years ago doing a dumbbell pullover. Went to see orthopedist who did CXR which was negative, just suggested rest and stretching. It never did get better and even during quarantine which I went a good three months without lifting. Now it flairs up immediately into lifting, I can feel it popping. Quick google search suggests something with rotator cuff.  The CXR he ordered was probably a waste. I’d imagine if I did a follow up - which I should and will - they’ll MRI it. 

Some lifts like bench press don’t mess with it. Any type of cable cross over or bicep curl, forget about it. I hardly have full range of motion with those. 

Fri, Feb 19, 2021 12:04 PM

Sucks about those injuries, hard to rest a muscle when you want to get at it

Completed a 42 hour (broth and black coffee) fast, for fun, nice to reset the system

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login