37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 12:31 PM

Quite the ratio here.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 12:57 PM
posted by justincredible

On what planet is that not a felony?

As a person who is not a legal expert, I have a question.

If I was a person randomly cold-cocked on a city street by a person with prior arrests and winding up with a broken face, only to find out that said city calls that a minor league crime and immediately lets the dude back on the street, what would happen if I sued the city for turning a blind eye to crime and creating an unsafe living environment, demanding my medical expenses are 100% paid (as well as whatever punitive damages I see fit, regardless of how many millions that equates to)? In short, claiming that due to the city's ongoing lack of action against the criminal, they are an accomplice to his crimes.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 1:17 PM
posted by Heretic

If I was a person randomly cold-cocked on a city street by a person with prior arrests and winding up with a broken face, only to find out that said city calls that a minor league crime and immediately lets the dude back on the street, what would happen if I sued the city for turning a blind eye to crime and creating an unsafe living environment, demanding my medical expenses are 100% paid (as well as whatever punitive damages I see fit, regardless of how many millions that equates to)? In short, claiming that due to the city's ongoing lack of action against the criminal, they are an accomplice to his crimes.

Might be a problem finding a reliable lawyer that is willing to take up the case.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 1:19 PM
posted by Heretic

I think cashless bail has some merit, but it's mind-blowing to see how recklessly it's been implemented.  It SHOULD NOT apply to violent crimes, at least when a preponderance of evidence suggests that, yeah, you did the crime.

Secondly, it should never never never have been allowed for repeat offenders, regardless of the severity of infraction. 

Just an idiotic and heavy-handed attempt to remediate racial inequities in the justice system.  And to your point, I'm guessing the policies are indeed more nuanced, but they are not being followed or applied correctly.  And in that case, I think there very well could be a lawsuit against the city/DA.  Of course, you have the thorny and complex issue of "qualified immunity" to deal with, which I assume applies to prosecutors, as well.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 1:20 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Might be a problem finding a reliable lawyer that is willing to take up the case.

I'm sure one of Trump's lawyers would take the case.  But not sure what you do if you actually want to win your suit....

Heretic Son of the Sun
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 1:52 PM
posted by gut

I'm sure one of Trump's lawyers would take the case.  But not sure what you do if you actually want to win your suit....

At the least, it would get attention. Probably with a great courtroom sketch of me facepalming while my Trump Lawyer fucks up everything so bad that I wind up in jail despite being the victim!

Fri, Mar 29, 2024 6:11 PM
posted by geeblock

For what?

Victimless crime.

Over-valuing property, with the goal of making a profit, is a crime.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 7:01 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Victimless crime.

Over-valuing property, with the goal of making a profit, is a crime.

He didn’t over value his property? Now I’m confused maybe I read liberal news tho 

Fri, Mar 29, 2024 10:16 PM
posted by geeblock

He didn’t over value his property? Now I’m confused maybe I read liberal news tho 

It's where I saw it. A progressive podcast.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 8:17 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I knew you spent your time on stuff like that.  Why?

geeblock Member
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 8:54 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

From what I read he didn’t overvalue his property but rather sold it for more than its value, which is what everyone tries to do when they sell their property 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 9:33 AM
posted by geeblock

From what I read he didn’t overvalue his property but rather sold it for more than its value, which is what everyone tries to do when they sell their pr

Stewart didn’t do anything. The normal public doesn’t seem to understand the difference between market value and assessed value (for property taxes). Same thing with the Mara Lago property, assessed at like $18m, but worth far more (though questionable at the figures Trump valued it). 

gut Senior Member
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 11:54 AM
posted by iclfan2

Stewart didn’t do anything. The normal public doesn’t seem to understand the difference between market value and assessed value (for property taxes). Same thing with the Mara Lago property, assessed at like $18m, but worth far more (though questionable at the figures Trump valued it). 

Same would appear to apply to Leticia James.  The people trying to defend that fine/damages are wholly ignorant of how real estate works.  Trump did commit fraud, and his businesses should be sanctioned.  But no one lost any money.

Sat, Mar 30, 2024 1:27 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I knew you spent your time on stuff like that.  Why?

I like to listen to things while I'm working in the field, caring for the horses or other things like that. Not only politics where I have a variety of viewpoints I enjoy, but I also listen to podcasts about sports, true crime, art and so on. I'm a curious person. 

Your "knowing" things about me is amusing. Yet, you didn't know my other interests. Your presumptions definitely says more about you than me. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 1:45 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I like to listen to things while I'm working in the field, caring for the horses or other things like that. Not only politics where I have a variety of viewpoints I enjoy, but I also listen to podcasts about sports, true crime, art and so on. I'm a curious person. 

Your "knowing" things about me is amusing. Yet, you didn't know my other interests. Your presumptions definitely says more about you than me. 

Well, uh, if we're being honest, you do kind of spend more time here talking about politics stuff than sports or art, so based on this site, it's not hard to see where such a presumption would come from.

Personally, I know podcasts are super-popular and a lot of people here listen to any number of them while driving or doing stuff. For me, it's music all the way. Following conversations people are having while I'm trying to do something else is way too distracting for my tastes, where I'll find myself getting sucked into the talking and not doing what I'm trying to do. With music, I can just get into the beat and maybe even feel motivated or something wild like that.

Sat, Mar 30, 2024 2:10 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

“Knew” in this sense is a turn of phrase synonymous with “guessed”, not meant to suggest that I literally “know” anything personal about you.  But I think you already knew that before your post.

Plus, you do seem to take in an inordinate amount of left wing media.

Sat, Mar 30, 2024 5:39 PM

“Knew” in this sense is a turn of phrase synonymous with “guessed”, not meant to suggest that I literally “know” anything personal about you.  But I think you already knew that before your post.

Plus, you do seem to take in an inordinate amount of left wing media.

How much left wing media (podcasts) do you think is ordinate, or, appropriate?

Sat, Mar 30, 2024 5:41 PM
posted by Heretic

Well, uh, if we're being honest, you do kind of spend more time here talking about politics stuff than sports or art, so based on this site, it's not hard to see where such a presumption would come from.

Personally, I know podcasts are super-popular and a lot of people here listen to any number of them while driving or doing stuff. For me, it's music all the way. Following conversations people are having while I'm trying to do something else is way too distracting for my tastes, where I'll find myself getting sucked into the talking and not doing what I'm trying to do. With music, I can just get into the beat and maybe even feel motivated or something wild like that.

There's some really good paranormal podcasts, too. I'm subscribed to a good deal of different types of podcasts, but I have to pick and choose what I'm in the mood to listen to. One of the better ones, imo, is The Tape Library. Check it out when you get the chance.

Yes, I post more on the political forum than I do in SB. I have never thought about just how many people notice or keep tabs of that sort of thing. Kind of a weird thing, but the forum is small so it's probably easy to take note of such things I guess. 

Do you think I should go out of my usual way and meet a SB quota of some sort?

Sat, Mar 30, 2024 5:45 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

How much left wing media (podcasts) do you think is ordinate, or, appropriate?

Don’t know.  Just seems as though you always have another story or talking point from the left wing that you’re pretty fired up about.  Collectively, you have stuff everyday.  So you put in some consistent time to it.  I doubt it’s “curiosity” about what the other side has to say.  

Although maybe you listen to those right wing anger mongers who like to focus on outrageous liberal news items.

I like the history, true crime and other interesting podcast idea though.  There are some great podcasts out there besides the political stuff.  The political stuff will rot your soul.  

geeblock Member
Sat, Mar 30, 2024 6:00 PM

Don’t know.  Just seems as though you always have another story or talking point from the left wing that you’re pretty fired up about.  Collectively, you have stuff everyday.  So you put in some consistent time to it.  I doubt it’s “curiosity” about what the other side has to say.  

Although maybe you listen to those right wing anger mongers who like to focus on outrageous liberal news items.

I like the history, true crime and other interesting podcast idea though.  There are some great podcasts out there besides the political stuff.  The political stuff will rot your soul.  

If u like true crime podcasts try “Casefile” on Apple podv

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login