Progressives, part 3...

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 5, 2020 2:17 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Our military spending is insane. We've built an empire and justify it by our exceptionalism. We've also tied support of the military in its current state to patriotism. Now every kid who enlists, gets college paid for and drives a truck at Ft Knox gets treated like he's Audie Murphy "thanks for your service". 

One of the many reasons I loved my grandfather.  He hated all the "thank you for your service" stuff.  Had every reason to act like he deserved it, but he loathed it.

If you want to be in the military, be in the military.  I even appreciate that many do so with the intent of putting their lives on the line for my safety and freedom.  But can we please drop the hero worship?

posted by justincredible

You don't like war? Why don't you support the troops?

I know.  We must be some crazy anti-Americans to want those troops overseas to be at home, safe, with their families.  What assholes we are.  ;)

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Feb 5, 2020 6:06 PM

Thankfully, in my town, they have stopped this stupid practice of signs in businesses windows welcoming home military by name .......for just completing basic training!

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 7:57 AM
posted by O-Trap

One of the many reasons I loved my grandfather.  He hated all the "thank you for your service" stuff.  Had every reason to act like he deserved it, but he loathed it.

If you want to be in the military, be in the military.  I even appreciate that many do so with the intent of putting their lives on the line for my safety and freedom.  But can we please drop the hero worship?

posted by justincredible

You don't like war? Why don't you support the troops?

I know.  We must be some crazy anti-Americans to want those troops overseas to be at home, safe, with their families.  What assholes we are.  ;)

My sister in law is a lifer in the Army. Served in Iraq numerous times and currently out in Washington stationed.  She hates the thank you for your service bullshit. Says it is mostly empty from folks and they just say it because they cannot relate to soldiers. She has long said what is better is how are you doing, or striking up a simple convo and letting the soldier lead the discussion. Also, she is big into people should be giving more to the groups like TAPS, PTSD groups, and survivor funds if they really care. She also agrees the defense budget is way too bloated, but also underfunded in critical areas. The big shiny items like the F-35, new ships, subs, and the all are eating up the more critical items like repairs to existing infrastructure on bases and O&M for existing vehicles for training. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 8:44 AM

This guy is completely stable and normal.

https://twitter.com/jordylancaster/status/1225222445927411712

Thu, Feb 6, 2020 10:04 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

My sister in law is a lifer in the Army. Served in Iraq numerous times and currently out in Washington stationed.  She hates the thank you for your service bullshit. Says it is mostly empty from folks and they just say it because they cannot relate to soldiers. She has long said what is better is how are you doing, or striking up a simple convo and letting the soldier lead the discussion. Also, she is big into people should be giving more to the groups like TAPS, PTSD groups, and survivor funds if they really care. She also agrees the defense budget is way too bloated, but also underfunded in critical areas. The big shiny items like the F-35, new ships, subs, and the all are eating up the more critical items like repairs to existing infrastructure on bases and O&M for existing vehicles for training. 

My brother-in-law has mentioned that latter point, as well.  We have more than enough money being spent on the military, but it's just not being allocated very well.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 10:06 AM

Anyway, I'm listening to Romney and thinking he got it exactly right.  Which, sadly, makes him the ONLY ONE out of some 535 representatives in the House and Senate.  No wonder things are so fucked up.

And, of course, the media makes him into some sort of white knight.  How about what Romney said about Obstruction of Congress - what about every Democrat in the House voting for that?  Crickets.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 10:16 AM
posted by gut

Anyway, I'm listening to Romney and thinking he got it exactly right.  Which, sadly, makes him the ONLY ONE out of some 535 representatives in the House and Senate.  No wonder things are so fucked up.

And, of course, the media makes him into some sort of white knight.  How about what Romney said about Obstruction of Congress - what about every Democrat in the House voting for that?  Crickets.

Nancy's busy tearing up papers that make her sad. 

gut Senior Member
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 10:27 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Nancy's busy tearing up papers that make her sad. 

I think it's hilarious.  Just another planned, political stunt....and, predictably, what people think of it depends on what party they vote for.

I really don't want 4 more years of Trump, but the extreme meltdowns from the Left is something I just don't want to miss out on.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 10:54 AM
posted by justincredible

He wouldnt be able to tell anyone one reason why he would do that either.  

Spock Senior Member
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 10:58 AM
posted by gut

I think it's hilarious.  Just another planned, political stunt....and, predictably, what people think of it depends on what party they vote for.

I really don't want 4 more years of Trump, but the extreme meltdowns from the Left is something I just don't want to miss out on.

Why wouldnt you want 4 more years of a president who is Pro American business?  Pro military, pro police, pro constitution, pro tax cuts, pro fair trade????? 

Donald Trump and his policies have literally done nothing to American citizens.  

Thu, Feb 6, 2020 11:23 AM
posted by justincredible

I have a prediction.  This kid is going to be featured in a news story someday that involves the phrase, "He then turned the gun on himself."

If there's ever been a stronger case for recreational weed being legal everywhere, I have yet to see it.

posted by gut

Reminds me of when the media was creaming itself over McCain over the healthcare vote.

The same media that made him out to be the Emperor from Star Wars when he ran for President ...

posted by gut

Same here.  It's too much fun to watch.  I actually saw someone claim they had a panic attack when Trump was acquitted.  lol  What???

gut Senior Member
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 11:36 AM
posted by O-Trap

Same here.  It's too much fun to watch.  I actually saw someone claim they had a panic attack when Trump was acquitted.  lol  What???

People really buy into the fearmongering and caricature of Trump.  Many appear to believe whatever CNN tells them - OMG Trump is mentally unstable!!!!

After 8 years of Obama and 3 years of Trump, I realize now the POTUS is little more than a figurehead.  Yeah, he can start a war, but most of what he can do is temporary nuisance.  Trump erased EVERYTHING Obama did inside of 18 months (except for ACA, thanks to McCain).  And as for our foreign politics, other countries will keep doing what they were doing before, during and after Trump - whatever works for their own self-interest.  The only way to have a significant and lasting impact on any of that would be to destroy the US as a superpower (cough cough Bernie cough cough).

Thu, Feb 6, 2020 12:20 PM
posted by gut

People really buy into the fearmongering and caricature of Trump.  Many appear to believe whatever CNN tells them - OMG Trump is mentally unstable!!!

It sometimes even seems like they take it a step further.  Like some people have a Clickhole filter in their head that interprets anything news-related.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 12:50 PM
posted by O-Trap

It sometimes even seems like they take it a step further.  Like some people have a Clickhole filter in their head that interprets anything news-related.

It's kind of like the left-wing versions of CC and Quaker, I gather. Believe everything that supports their personal opinions and refer to anything that doesn't as bullshit or fake. Because for everyone that is getting a panic attack because Trump, there's a CC giving his personal blowjob opinion on Trump's presidency a few posts above this one.

Thu, Feb 6, 2020 1:13 PM
posted by Heretic

It's kind of like the left-wing versions of CC and Quaker, I gather. Believe everything that supports their personal opinions and refer to anything that doesn't as bullshit or fake. Because for everyone that is getting a panic attack because Trump, there's a CC giving his personal blowjob opinion on Trump's presidency a few posts above this one.

Oh, sure.  It just seems like some people take it a step further.  They could listen to Fox News or CNN and splice together the news story to form something even more biased and distorted than the story was.

Basically, in goes Fox News, and out comes Daily Wire.  Or in goes CNN and out comes Daily Kos.  Like a really fucked up game of Telephone.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Feb 6, 2020 8:19 PM
posted by O-Trap

Oh, sure.  It just seems like some people take it a step further.  They could listen to Fox News or CNN and splice together the news story to form something even more biased and distorted than the story was.

Basically, in goes Fox News, and out comes Daily Wire.  Or in goes CNN and out comes Daily Kos.  Like a really fucked up game of Telephone.

Good comparison. It's interesting to how the followers from both sides seem to get their respective daily talking points each day by lunchtime and then those become the topics they spew about the rest of the day. It's telephone with some mindless groupthink thrown in. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Feb 7, 2020 7:38 AM
posted by gut

Who would you prefer out of the available choices?

posted by gut

They will turn on him pretty soon.  He was a racist and sexist 1% in 2012.  For whatever reason he always wants to signal to the left andbe accepted.  Once he votes in line with the GOP agenda, his 15 minutes of being a white knight will turn into dust. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Fri, Feb 7, 2020 7:57 AM
posted by O-Trap

I have a prediction.  This kid is going to be featured in a news story someday that involves the phrase, "He then turned the gun on himself."

If there's ever been a stronger case for recreational weed being legal everywhere, I have yet to see it.

It's incredible how many issues can be resolved in the US by legalizing a plant.  I'd go a step further and say legalizing all drugs would benefit the country than do more harm.  

Spock Senior Member
Fri, Feb 7, 2020 8:10 AM
posted by like_that

It's incredible how many issues can be resolved in the US by legalizing a plant.  I'd go a step further and say legalizing all drugs would benefit the country than do more harm.  

Yea ok.....legal meth, heroin and crack.  Dont see how that could go wrong. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Feb 7, 2020 8:12 AM
posted by Spock

Yea ok.....legal meth, heroin and crack.  Dont see how that could go wrong. 

Glad we’re on the same page, then. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login