Progressives, part 3...

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Dec 12, 2019 10:21 AM
posted by jmog

I used to do research in a similar field (moved on to much better paying jobs than research). To be specific I did baseline research on industrial furnace emissions and proper burner (things making the fire) design to mitigate/lower the emissions out of the furnaces. And I am talking huge industrial furnaces, not small mom and pop stuff. 

I can tell you my view is about the same as your acquaintances. Are humans having some negative effect? Most likely (although to be 100% candid we are doing MUCH better now than we did in previous decades...CFCs, VOCs, etc that tore the Ozone layer have almost been eliminated...and the ozone layer has repaired itself). Is the world coming to a crashing end due to climate change? Almost certainly not.

People don't realize how much better/cleaner our emissions aer now than it was a couple decades ago. Heck, just a catalytic converter on cars alone has cleaned up most cities air quality. 

Things we REALLY need to worry about are being taken care of (CFCs, VOCs, NOx, SOx, CO, CH4, etc) however, CO2 isn't really that harmful to the environment and we still are trying to lower it anyway just in case.

Remember, CO2 is actually making the planet greener (think an actual greenhouse, they increase their CO2 on purpose to make plants grow faster). The world has actually gotten more "green" in the last couple decades. Now, I am not saying "pump more CO2!". I am saying that there are positive effects that help offset the negative at times.

With all that said, I have driven fuel efficient cars (Focus) for the last 15 years, as I see no need to dump more CO2 into the air than I personally have to.

I agree with this altogether.  I also would add my growing concern for the loss of animal life/bees.  hate to see it.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 12, 2019 2:43 PM
posted by O-Trap

Obviously, that's not meant to convince anyone.  These were casual conversations on the topic.  They do give me some pause, though.

I've never claimed CO2 isn't causing warming or doesn't have negative environmental impact.  But it won't be anything we can't adapt to, and there are positives as well.  The "existential threat" airheads like AOC go on about come from the most extreme IPCC scenario, one that seems almost deliberately political - an implausible amount of fossil fuel use combined with a climate sensitivity that's probably 3-5X greater than it really is.

I don't like pushing conspiracy theories, but every once in a while you get some insights into what the activists are really trying to achieve.  I don't think it's a secret that progressives believe in redistribution and globalization, that we're not smart enough to make our own decisions and a small group of elitists need to tell us how to live.  That bullshit doesn't sell all that well.  But if you have an existential threat....."ohhhh, please tell us how to save ourselves!!!".  $90T for the Green New Deal? You can't justify that, you have to scare people into accepting it.

People don't like subsidies.  The global warming industry is a $2T annual house of cards, and when you talk about that kind of money being thrown at start-ups, failing companies and bad ideas....there's usually a lot of graft and corruption that follows.  I'd really be surprised if, globally, a lot of bureacrats aren't enriching themselves by skimming, especially when they're spending money but not taking much action.  It's a windfall - probably the only explanation why there's such little global opposition from govts opposing the hysteria.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Dec 12, 2019 3:11 PM
posted by O-Trap

I think you just explained that better than I've ever heard anyone explain it.

I have always made the sports fan connection... My feelz are hurt.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 12, 2019 8:41 PM

Haven’t had any fun AOC news in awhile. She posted her support for Corbyn recently, who got thrashed tonight. Then some comparison between weening puppies and short term disability in women. Oh and the Talib idiot posted saying white supremacy was behind the Jewish market shooting this week (that was performed by a Black Hebrews member)

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Thu, Dec 12, 2019 9:58 PM

The media has put the clamps on her.  CNN is in control of them

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 13, 2019 2:01 AM
posted by jmog

I used to do research in a similar field (moved on to much better paying jobs than research). To be specific I did baseline research on industrial furnace emissions and proper burner (things making the fire) design to mitigate/lower the emissions out of the furnaces. And I am talking huge industrial furnaces, not small mom and pop stuff. 

I can tell you my view is about the same as your acquaintances. Are humans having some negative effect? Most likely (although to be 100% candid we are doing MUCH better now than we did in previous decades...CFCs, VOCs, etc that tore the Ozone layer have almost been eliminated...and the ozone layer has repaired itself). Is the world coming to a crashing end due to climate change? Almost certainly not.

People don't realize how much better/cleaner our emissions aer now than it was a couple decades ago. Heck, just a catalytic converter on cars alone has cleaned up most cities air quality. 

Things we REALLY need to worry about are being taken care of (CFCs, VOCs, NOx, SOx, CO, CH4, etc) however, CO2 isn't really that harmful to the environment and we still are trying to lower it anyway just in case.

Remember, CO2 is actually making the planet greener (think an actual greenhouse, they increase their CO2 on purpose to make plants grow faster). The world has actually gotten more "green" in the last couple decades. Now, I am not saying "pump more CO2!". I am saying that there are positive effects that help offset the negative at times.

With all that said, I have driven fuel efficient cars (Focus) for the last 15 years, as I see no need to dump more CO2 into the air than I personally have to.

Yep.  Certainly not stealing anyone's childhood or anything, but I don't see any reason to avoid getting better where we can.  I've liked seeing some of the advances into better fuel sources, for example.  They're imperfect, and because of some of the manufacturing, some of it's negated, but hopefully, we continue to improve.

posted by gut

I've never claimed CO2 isn't causing warming or doesn't have negative environmental impact.  But it won't be anything we can't adapt to, and there are positives as well.  The "existential threat" airheads like AOC go on about come from the most extreme IPCC scenario, one that seems almost deliberately political - an implausible amount of fossil fuel use combined with a climate sensitivity that's probably 3-5X greater than it really is.

I don't like pushing conspiracy theories, but every once in a while you get some insights into what the activists are really trying to achieve.  I don't think it's a secret that progressives believe in redistribution and globalization, that we're not smart enough to make our own decisions and a small group of elitists need to tell us how to live.  That bullshit doesn't sell all that well.  But if you have an existential threat....."ohhhh, please tell us how to save ourselves!!!".  $90T for the Green New Deal? You can't justify that, you have to scare people into accepting it.

People don't like subsidies.  The global warming industry is a $2T annual house of cards, and when you talk about that kind of money being thrown at start-ups, failing companies and bad ideas....there's usually a lot of graft and corruption that follows.  I'd really be surprised if, globally, a lot of bureacrats aren't enriching themselves by skimming, especially when they're spending money but not taking much action.  It's a windfall - probably the only explanation why there's such little global opposition from govts opposing the hysteria.

Apologies if it came across as though I was accusing you of ignoring the elements of climate change that we agree on.  I didn't mean it that way, and I generally agree with you on the topic.

posted by like_that

I have always made the sports fan connection... My feelz are hurt.

Good.  Go find yourself.  ;)

(I kid, of course.  It just happened to strike me.)

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Dec 13, 2019 2:58 PM

How embarrassing for these people:

https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/status/1205354210465742848

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Dec 13, 2019 3:05 PM
posted by iclfan2

Lol Time picks Greta “I’m brainwashed by my parents and mentally unstable” as person of the year. So woke.

As per usual, the crying about this generates 10 times more attention than Time would have otherwise had.  I honestly cannot name even last year's Time Person of the Year.  I would guess most people can't.  Conservative media has gotten panties in a bunch over a magazine they'd long given up on highlighting a girl they hated from the get go.  And also as usual, Trump goes butt ass over it because he sees his "followers" are doing the same.  

gut Senior Member
Fri, Dec 13, 2019 3:42 PM
posted by justincredible

It's pretty sad how the Dem candidates try to connect with millenials.  You're 50/60/70+ years old, stop trying to convince the younger generation you're cool and get them.   20 years from now, that's going to be one jaded, screwed-up generation.

I mean, just seeing Trump news on TV causes actual anxiety and triggers...TDS confirmed:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/us/politics/Donald-Trump-2020.html

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 14, 2019 4:20 PM
posted by justincredible

I find that video to be extremely fascinating simply because of the complete, utter lack of rhythm on display by those silly cunts.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 14, 2019 10:42 PM

Media out there going after cadets for putting up the asshole symbol on TV (upside down OK sign) and calling them white supremacists. FFS

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Dec 14, 2019 10:48 PM
posted by iclfan2

Media out there going after cadets for putting up the asshole symbol on TV (upside down OK sign) and calling them white supremacists. FFS

Color me not surprised that they don't know what that is.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sun, Dec 15, 2019 9:32 AM
posted by iclfan2

Media:  How dare you criticize Lt. Col Vindman

Also media: OMG our cadets are white supremacists!

gut Senior Member
Sun, Dec 15, 2019 12:54 PM
posted by like_that

Media:  How dare you criticize Lt. Col Vindman

Also media: OMG our cadets are white supremacists!

Look at how the media keeps trying to credit Barr, even though his summary of the Mueller report was shown to be 100% accurate.  The Dems write up their articles of impeachment, and nothing about collusion or obstruction of justice.

Remember how they all spent a few months trying to convince us Trump would have been charged with a crime if he were a civilian?

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Mon, Dec 16, 2019 11:48 AM
posted by iclfan2

Thank God whoever is in charge at the USMA and USNA is not a hysteric.  Basically said "we will investigate and no further comment at this time."  I wish that was the typical reaction instead of instant panic, outrage and judgement.  

cbus4life Ignorant
2,875 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 16, 2019 9:15 PM
posted by justincredible

This is fake as literally 5 seconds of research will tell you, but apparently that isn’t something we do anymore, regardless of political leaning.

Mon, Dec 16, 2019 10:45 PM
posted by cbus4life

This is fake as literally 5 seconds of research will tell you, but apparently that isn’t something we do anymore, regardless of political leaning.

lol, I saw it was fake a few hours later. It was funny , relax. 

Mon, Dec 16, 2019 10:51 PM

It also doesn’t change my post. It was embarrassing regardless of intent. 

cbus4life Ignorant
2,875 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 16, 2019 11:22 PM

Gotcha, sorry for missing that you also recognized it was fake. Just seen way too many people lately thinking it was real, though also agree that’s it is cringey af even as a comedy routine. 

wkfan Senior Member
1,850 posts 13 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Dec 17, 2019 3:14 PM
posted by gut

stop trying to convince the younger generation you're cool and get them.   20 years from now, that's going to be one jaded, screwed-up generation.

Going to be?  What the hell do you call them now??

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login