Progressives, part 3...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:24 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

posted by jmog

Seriously?

Independents have never been >50%, so never been a majority.

Only 10% of republicans think he should be impeached. Is that "on the fence". If so then the African American vote was "on the fence" on whether to support Obama or Romney a few elections ago.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/

Fair. I was getting my numbers crossed.

Independents are hovering between the 30s and 40s. I had to double check. Still, this is not like in 98 when a huge majority of the country was against impeachment. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

In 1998 only 55% of "likely voters" were against Clinton's impeachment. CNN poll I just googled. A majority, but not a "huge majority" as you say.

Strike 2

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:35 PM
posted by jmog

In 1998 only 55% of "likely voters" were against Clinton's impeachment. CNN poll I just googled. A majority, but not a "huge majority" as you say.

Strike 2

LOL. I was thinking of Clinton's approval rating. Dammit...

jmog Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:54 PM

His approval rating at the time was in the mid 60s, so I can see that.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:55 PM

For the record, I was against Clinton's impeachment as well as I am against Trump's. 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:58 PM

LOL, this is neither academic nor testimony.  This is a bunch of partisan professors giving the opinion Democrats want to hear.  It's like when 900 or whatever prosecutors (out of THOUSANDS) said Trump should be indicted for obstruction.

One prof just said "while the President can name his son Baron, he cannot make him an actual barron".  She's fighting a smile and laughter after she says it.  Yeah, that wasn't orchestrated and planned, at all.  That's theater, not a scholarly review.

This is actually a serious issue that Democrats completely mucked-up public opinion by being the boy who cried wolf for 3 years.  I don't think Dems can do anything at this point that won't be viewed as purely partisan by over half the country.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 3:15 PM
posted by gut

One prof just said "while the President can name his son Baron, he cannot make him an actual barron".  She's fighting a smile and laughter after she says it.  Yeah, that wasn't orchestrated and planned, at all.  

Just saw the clip, what an idiot. There was another clip from her past saying she had to change sides of the street when she walked past a Trump property. And we’re supposed to take her at face value? C’mon Ptown.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 3:41 PM
posted by iclfan2

Just saw the clip, what an idiot. There was another clip from her past saying she had to change sides of the street when she walked past a Trump property. And we’re supposed to take her at face value? C’mon Ptown.

She really looks and acts like those crying/screaming activists from a couple different memes.

I'm sure she will be a mainstream media star (which was probably the point) and resonate with the base.  But to people who aren't foaming at the mouth with TDS, she's nothing more than a partisan actor.  Giving a performance, not analysis.  I'd bet money she didn't come up with that soundbite but DID spend much time rehearsing it.

She did have one really good point that the corrupt intent is evident by Trump merely demanding an announcement of an investigation.  I don't know how anyone could argue that's not intended purely to damage a political opponent.  But she's impugned her own credibility, so that point doesn't score or register.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 3:46 PM

LOL, one of the other profs wiki page describes him as a "self-professed never-Trumper and worked on Hillary Clinton's campaign".

C'mon, are the Dems even trying to be taken seriously?

gut Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 4:00 PM

Q: "Why did you give so much more money to Clinton than Obama and Warren?"

A: "Because I've been giving more money to charity on account of all the poor people in this country"

superman Senior Member
4,377 posts 71 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 4:05 PM
posted by jmog

Strike 2

Damn!

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 4:11 PM
posted by gut

Q: "Why did you give so much more money to Clinton than Obama and Warren?"

A: "Because I've been giving more money to charity on account of all the poor people in this country"

Almost beyond belief.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 4:12 PM

I understand why dems are rushing this as fast as they can ……..they need as much time as possible between this MEGA-fail and next year’s election as possible, hoping that people somehow forget what a bunch of jackasses they are.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 5:26 PM

i have caught snippets of this impeachment.......the average person in the US has no clue what is going on, they have no stomach to listen to Ivy league professors talk about how they read the law.

This is getting worse

gut Senior Member
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 6:22 PM

I bet they couldn't sleep last night because they were so excited to be the one to convince America Trump should be impeached.  Really Dems - you couldn't find a con-law prof that wasn't suffering from TDS?!?

I actually thought the Repub witness Turley pretty fair and objectively laid it out - stepped over the line with the DOJ on this and other incidents, but that's not impeachable.  I think that's an abuse of power, but this case the Dems are trying to build is a house of strawmen.

Hard to watch these hearings and not think Reps on both sides of the aisle aren't just using this to grandstand to sew-up their re-election.  You know people in 50/50 purple districts aren't ranting with faux outrage.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 1:41 PM
posted by O-Trap

Exactly.  I'm not sure there'd be much in the way of "better" or "worse," regardless of who won, but the debates AND campaign news would be damn good television.

Considering how Biden's recent response to a question about his age was to say he's not sedentary and then go on to challenge whoever brought it up to a push-up contest and IQ test to prove it, it'd be like two guys staring into a mirror and seeing each other. The winner would be the guy who made the most out-there baseless claim about himself!

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 1:55 PM
posted by Heretic

Considering how Biden's recent response to a question about his age was to say he's not sedentary and then go on to challenge whoever brought it up to a push-up contest and IQ test to prove it, it'd be like two guys staring into a mirror and seeing each other. The winner would be the guy who made the most out-there baseless claim about himself!

Lol he called him fat too, and a damn liar. Great clip.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 2:01 PM
posted by Heretic

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 2:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9syIIJhyE

wow

gut Senior Member
Thu, Dec 5, 2019 2:34 PM
posted by QuakerOats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9syIIJhyE

Pelosi prays for Trump every day, huh?

Somewhere there's a joke in there about what Dems always say about thoughts and prayers....

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 9, 2019 8:48 AM
posted by gut

Pelosi prays for Trump every day, huh?

I am guessing she prays for Trump about as much as she prays for babies in the womb. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login