Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 21, 2019 5:11 PM
posted by majorspark

Yeah another eruption of applause at Schiff's closing statement today.  But the Democrats have told us this is a very solemn occasion that they reluctantly are undertaking all while the speaker is off in prayer. 

That's the only part I caught today.  I wonder how much time he spent of front of the mirror rehearsing his big moment.

But will we ever get an actual vote on impeachment?  I think it's still problematic for Dems in red/purple districts, and what if they don't actually have the votes?  Could you imagine what an absolute disaster that would be?

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Nov 24, 2019 6:40 PM

Bezos donated almost $100M to homelessness (supposedly), and libs were mad about it. Fucking idiots

gut Senior Member
Sun, Nov 24, 2019 6:47 PM
posted by iclfan2

Bezos donated almost $100M to homelessness (supposedly), and libs were mad about it. Fucking idiots

Wow.  I'm guessing that was his unused campaign funds?

Good - no, great - for him.  Dems are pissed he didn't fork that over to the DNC.  The only thing more disturbing than how much is spent on election campaigns is the fact that money actually makes a huge difference.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Nov 24, 2019 11:46 PM
posted by gut

Wow.  I'm guessing that was his unused campaign funds?

Good - no, great - for him.  Dems are pissed he didn't fork that over to the DNC.  The only thing more disturbing than how much is spent on election campaigns is the fact that money actually makes a huge difference.

Allegedly, it was that he's worth so much more that $100MM is a drop in the bucket.

Basically, he "didn't give enough."

The funny thing is this:  If he hadn't given anything, he would have gotten much less negative press, because there would have been no story.

Not exactly the kind of message that would be fruitful to send to that tier.  "If you don't give at all, we'll mostly ignore you.  If you give some, we'll scrutinize it to see if it's 'enough' by our standards."

gut Senior Member
Mon, Nov 25, 2019 12:07 AM
posted by O-Trap

Allegedly, it was that he's worth so much more that $100MM is a drop in the bucket.

OK, that is seriously fucked up.

Mon, Nov 25, 2019 10:21 PM
posted by gut

OK, that is seriously fucked up.

Yeah, I just shook my head.  Idiotic.

Wed, Nov 27, 2019 8:14 PM

Here it is in all its asininity.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Dec 2, 2019 11:06 AM
posted by O-Trap

Here it is in all its asininity.

Here's the worst part, the person did the math wrong. Not only are they an idiot for complaining about how much someone donates. But they did the math wrong.

Obviously they didn't really mean that you donated more actual money, even though that's what they said. Even as a percentage of income, $40 donated, on $25/hour is not more as a pecenage than 0.0906%.

$25/hour is $52,000. $40/$52,000 is 0.0769%. That is less than 0.0906%.

So not only are they an idiot who is virtue signaling charity donations, but they are an idiot who can't do the math right in their own tweet.

Mon, Dec 2, 2019 2:21 PM
posted by jmog

Here's the worst part, the person did the math wrong. Not only are they an idiot for complaining about how much someone donates. But they did the math wrong.

Obviously they didn't really mean that you donated more actual money, even though that's what they said. Even as a percentage of income, $40 donated, on $25/hour is not more as a pecenage than 0.0906%.

$25/hour is $52,000. $40/$52,000 is 0.0769%. That is less than 0.0906%.

So not only are they an idiot who is virtue signaling charity donations, but they are an idiot who can't do the math right in their own tweet.

Can't say I'm surprised. At all. Even a little.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Dec 2, 2019 11:47 PM

Not sure where to put this, but VERY INTERESTING [maybe] development with Hunter Biden.

He has a love child, and is being sued for paternity.  His legal team has taken action to BLOCK disclosure of financial records.  Maybe that's typical in these cases, but I'd be surprised.  I'm pretty sure the court will need financials in order to determine child support.

But we know what supposed kick-backs he already received.  Or do we?  In any event, if this doesn't sink Biden's campaign he's going to do it all by himself.

I know McConnel has said Hunter Biden is witness #1 (or maybe #2, after Schiff) in an impeachment hearing.  What a bombshell if this would be exculpatory and justify Trump's actions!  Doubtful, but all this is way beyond Kabuki Theatre at this point.

Tue, Dec 3, 2019 1:33 AM

Can you imagine a general election between Trump and Biden?

The shit show would be amazing.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Dec 3, 2019 2:21 AM
posted by O-Trap

Can you imagine a general election between Trump and Biden?

The shit show would be amazing.

I really can't see how Biden would beat Trump.

But the debates would be epic!!!!

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 1:34 AM
posted by gut

I really can't see how Biden would beat Trump.

But the debates would be epic!!!!

Exactly.  I'm not sure there'd be much in the way of "better" or "worse," regardless of who won, but the debates AND campaign news would be damn good television.

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 12:41 PM

Who on the Dems thought having some tenured Harvard Professors who already dislike Trump go up and dryly talk about impeachment? You ain't gaining any ground with Independents by parading pompous nobodies up there. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 1:00 PM
posted by iclfan2

Who on the Dems thought having some tenured Harvard Professors who already dislike Trump go up and dryly talk about impeachment? You ain't gaining any ground with Independents by parading pompous nobodies up there. 

Maybe. But Prof. Karlan laid out a pretty good case in general for why this President should be impeached. Her testimony may break through. It was the first actual succinct argument for impeachment I had heard. The President of the United States sought a foreign country to seek dirt on a political rival. 

Also, you do know most of the current Supreme Court and most legit legal scholars are from Harvard and other Ivy League schools? 

Finally, most independents actually back impeachment. It is Rs that are on the fence. 

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 1:14 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Also, you do know most of the current Supreme Court and most legit legal scholars are from Harvard and other Ivy League schools? 

Finally, most independents actually back impeachment. It is Rs that are on the fence. 

Yes, I know where they come from (and that most sill freak out about the Orange Man). Doesn't change the fact that she already disliked Trump before this (compared him to McCarthy). I don't know why anyone thinks this is going anywhere. If they had evidence instead of presumptions, they wouldn't need these people talking about being allowed to impeach, they would just do it.

Support for impeachment has been trending down, especially with Independents.I'll even post the article from The Hill. Not sure where you got "most" from.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/472912-falling-impeachment-support-raises-pressure-for-democrats-on 

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 1:15 PM

In other regressive news, Twitter blue checks got mad at Mayor Pete for volunteering with the Salvation Army, and then Chris Pratt for drinking out of a plastic bottle. 2019 is so lit.

The lefts hatred of the Salvation Army strictly is the weirdest thing. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 1:59 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Seriously?

Independents have never been >50%, so never been a majority.

Only 10% of republicans think he should be impeached. Is that "on the fence". If so then the African American vote was "on the fence" on whether to support Obama or Romney a few elections ago.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:03 PM

Turley was quite clearly the most reasoned and deliberative to speak today.  His comments should be required reading in every civics and history class.  The other three are simply dem committee puppets:  ‘bring the guilty bastard in and give him a fair trial’.  They are destroying our founding principles.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Dec 4, 2019 2:16 PM
posted by iclfan2

Yes, I know where they come from (and that most sill freak out about the Orange Man). Doesn't change the fact that she already disliked Trump before this (compared him to McCarthy). I don't know why anyone thinks this is going anywhere. If they had evidence instead of presumptions, they wouldn't need these people talking about being allowed to impeach, they would just do it.

Support for impeachment has been trending down, especially with Independents.I'll even post the article from The Hill. Not sure where you got "most" from.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/472912-falling-impeachment-support-raises-pressure-for-democrats-on 

posted by jmog

Seriously?

Independents have never been >50%, so never been a majority.

Only 10% of republicans think he should be impeached. Is that "on the fence". If so then the African American vote was "on the fence" on whether to support Obama or Romney a few elections ago.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/

Fair. I was getting my numbers crossed.

Independents are hovering between the 30s and 40s. I had to double check. Still, this is not like in 98 when a huge majority of the country was against impeachment. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login