Progressives, part 3...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 14, 2019 11:23 AM

I saw something the other day and I didn't believe it was true. So, I went and looked it up, and matter of fact it was 100% true.

The last 6 elected Republican Presidents, all the way back to Eisenhower, the Democrat controlled House of Representatives have introduced Articles of Impeachment against and started impeachment proceedings/investigations. Only Ford was "spared" but he wasn't elected, he was Nixon's VP and only in office like 1.5 years.

Sounds like the Democrats just don't like it when their lost the POTUS elections to me.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Nov 14, 2019 12:43 PM
posted by QuakerOats

You will, or you will be shamed! 

“I unironically embrace the bashing of rural Americans. They, as a group, are bad people who have made bad life decisions. Some, I assume are good people. But this nostalgia for some imagined pastoral way of life is stupid and we should shame people who aren’t pro-city,” he wrote in a since-deleted tweet.    --

Cal prof.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13975

I don’t see all of this bullshit ending well ………………for the radical left.

This guy's obviously an idiot. He no more represents a large segment of our population than a neo Nazi does.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Nov 14, 2019 4:01 PM

I would venture to say that 85% of academia and media side with him.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 10:47 AM

shifty Schiff is now trying to manufacture a witness tampering charge out of thin air.

There are plenty of clowns on both sides of the aisle, but he's one of the worst.  He might be the only person in Washington who lies more than Trump..  The irony that he's leading the charge to remove Trump is just....soooooo DC.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:02 AM
posted by gut

shifty Schiff is now trying to manufacture a witness tampering charge out of thin air.

There are plenty of clowns on both sides of the aisle, but he's one of the worst.  He might be the only person in Washington who lies more than Trump..  The irony that he's leading the charge to remove Trump is just....soooooo DC.

the problem is that I dont think he is smart enough to be doing this on his own.  Who is the puppet master here?  

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:19 AM
posted by gut

Out of thin air? 

Shit man, even the Fox News hosts thought the Trump tweet was crossing the line. 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:33 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Out of thin air? 

Shit man, even the Fox News hosts thought the Trump tweet was crossing the line. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/trump-accused-of-witness-intimidation-for-yovanovitch-tweet.html

LMFAO.  Where's the threat?  Where's the intimidation?  C'mon, Ptown, you're better than that.

Speaking the truth - that the POTUS has the power to appoint and remove ambassadors - is a threat?!?  Those tweets are par for the course for Trump.  If he didn't do that routinely, you might have a point.  But this is very typical of Trump attacking/bashing/criticizing opponents.  Let's also remember these hearings are fairly one-sided and he doesn't really have equal opportunity for counsel to cross-examine witnesses.

This is typical Schiff throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.  Just like the allegedly ran a focus group to determine that "bribery" resonated better than "quid pro quo", and right on cue the Democratic media all started calling it bribery and extortion.

Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:36 AM
posted by gut

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/trump-accused-of-witness-intimidation-for-yovanovitch-tweet.html

LMFAO.  Where's the threat?  Where's the intimidation?  C'mon, Ptown, you're better than that.

Speaking the truth - that the POTUS has the power to appoint and remove ambassadors - is a threat?!?  Those tweets are par for the course for Trump.  If he didn't do that routinely, you might have a point.  But this is very typical of Trump attacking/bashing/criticizing opponents.  Let's also remember these hearings are fairly one-sided and he doesn't really have equal opportunity for counsel to cross-examine witnesses.

The threat is up to interpretation, I'd agree. But, even the Fox News hosts noted it was a tweet in poor taste and a bad move. 

Your last point is wrong as both Ds and Rs get 45 minutes each of questions. 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:39 AM

The threat is up to interpretation, I'd agree. But, even the Fox News hosts noted it was a tweet in poor taste and a bad move.

Poor taste, sure.  But we're talking about Trump - this is typical behavior for him.  Nice backpedal though.

And you probably missed my edit about the focus group Dems ran to determine "bribery" was playing better.  This is a circus.   They really do look like cats chasing Trump's laser pointer.

Collusion to Obstruction to Quid pro Quo to Bribery to now Witness tampering.  Why not just pick a charge and impeach him already?

Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:42 AM
posted by jmog

I saw something the other day and I didn't believe it was true. So, I went and looked it up, and matter of fact it was 100% true.

The last 6 elected Republican Presidents, all the way back to Eisenhower, the Democrat controlled House of Representatives have introduced Articles of Impeachment against and started impeachment proceedings/investigations. Only Ford was "spared" but he wasn't elected, he was Nixon's VP and only in office like 1.5 years.

Sounds like the Democrats just don't like it when their lost the POTUS elections to me.

Curious of those stats. I can get the W Bush ones as that was probably tied to the Iraq War. Also, in what context were those brought forth, was it just one Rep in the House or was it a whole host of them, did any have the Speaker's blessing? What was the context for Ike? Nixon's was warranted obviously. Reagan was probably tied to Iran Contra, maybe? HW Bush, for what, the Gulf War? 

Also, don't forget the few members of the House Rs filed impeachment against Obama numerous times, so let's not pretend it was one-sided. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:46 AM

It is perhaps the biggest clown show in DC history.

Please, TAKE THE VOTE.

Fri, Nov 15, 2019 11:49 AM
posted by gut

Poor taste, sure.  But we're talking about Trump - this is typical behavior for him.  Nice backpedal though.

And you probably missed my edit about the focus group Dems ran to determine "bribery" was playing better.  This is a circus.   They really do look like cats chasing Trump's laser pointer.

Collusion to Obstruction to Quid pro Quo to Bribery to now Witness tampering.  Why not just pick a charge and impeach him already?

Yeah, I'd agree. I think they are trying to combine them all under "abuse of power". Some times it sticks, other time it falls short. 

posted by QuakerOats

It is perhaps the biggest clown show in DC history.

Please, TAKE THE VOTE.

There was some hearings during the Obama years that were pretty clown show like...

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 12:05 PM

What Trump has accomplished for The People while being under non-stop assault is simply amazing.  Now that he is also pulling back the blanket covering up the incredible corruption in DC along with the DC elite’s international money-laundering, bribery and graft, the establishment is literally losing their minds over being exposed as the largest political criminals in the history of the nation.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 12:06 PM

I find it interesting that the 3 witnesses so far are all career employees of the state department that appear to be unhappy that the "norms" of state foreign policy were not followed.  So far the only factual evidence produced is policy disagreement between the "Deep State" and the POTUS.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 1:02 PM

LOL the Republican Counsel is a disaster

gut Senior Member
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 1:08 PM

Yeah, I'd agree. I think they are trying to combine them all under "abuse of power". Some times it sticks, other time it falls short.

When they insist they have the proof and evidence, and then it turns out they don't....and they move on to the next shiny thing....it lends a lot of credence to it being just a political witch hunt.  A bunch of "might have been abuse" don't add up to actual abuse of power.  But you might be right that's the goal, since math has never been a strongsuit for the Dems.

I still say they should have just planted the flag on Trump standing in front of the helicopter and calling on China and Ukraine to investigate Biden.  I can't believe they've largely let that go, and instead keep trying to make a mountain out of this molehill.  He finally crosses the line with a public statement and, what, the Dems are asleep?!?

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 1:27 PM
posted by gut

LOL the Republican Counsel is a disaster

link?

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 2:26 PM

Curious of those stats. I can get the W Bush ones as that was probably tied to the Iraq War. Also, in what context were those brought forth, was it just one Rep in the House or was it a whole host of them, did any have the Speaker's blessing? What was the context for Ike? Nixon's was warranted obviously. Reagan was probably tied to Iran Contra, maybe? HW Bush, for what, the Gulf War? 

Also, don't forget the few members of the House Rs filed impeachment against Obama numerous times, so let's not pretend it was one-sided. 

Obama and Clinton had articles of impeachment filed as Ds, none of the others (recently in this same time frame).

I honestly didn't read the details about each and every one. I know HW Bush was about the 1st Iraq War, W Bush was about the 2nd Iraq War, Reagan was about Iran/Contra I believe, don't know about Ike, can't remember what it was.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 3:14 PM

The biggest thing I have learned from these hearings is the proper pronunciation of Ukraine's capital. 

Thankfully career beaurocrats have set us all staight.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Nov 15, 2019 3:27 PM
posted by majorspark

The biggest thing I have learned from these hearings is the proper pronunciation of Ukraine's capital. 

Thankfully career beaurocrats have set us all staight.

I love the layered strawman of proof.....Trump might have intended to bribe Ukraine, and after that alleged attempt was made public he failed to follow through.  And unless Trump can prove he wasn't planning [notice that subtle pivot from Schiff proving he attempted to Trump proving he wasn't planning] to bribe Ukraine, then that's an impeachable offense.

And, incidentally, this all sounds suspiciously like the [non]obstruction arguments they made with the Mueller investigation.  A case that, so far, is built on nothing more than opinion and conjecture.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login