Progressives, part 3...

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 4:02 AM
posted by O-Trap

Also, as much as I hate his politics, I appreciated Crazy Uncle Bernie refusing to assume guilt prior to the inquiry in front of his supporters (who would have creamed themselves if he had been more emotional).

I have no idea what this is referring to? Did I miss something?

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 7:49 AM

What in the fuck is wrong with the media. Carson King, who raised $1M for Iowa’s children’s hospital, got old tweets from sophmore year in high school brought up by some piece of shit “journalist”. So now, Anheiser Busch pulls out of honoring him too. Why in the hell did someone feel the need to dig that up? Enemy of the people is such a fitting description. 

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 8:29 AM
posted by O-Trap

My question is this:

People have been crying for impeachment for the years since inauguration.  Why now if not for new information?

Also, as much as I hate his politics, I appreciated Crazy Uncle Bernie refusing to assume guilt prior to the inquiry in front of his supporters (who would have creamed themselves if he had been more emotional).

To put it simply, if proven true: The President of the United States in a call with a foreign head of state wanted them to find evidence to target a political opponent, and if they did not, would stop foreign military aid. 

This deserves to be full investigated, vetted, and if found true, is the text book definition of abuse of power and impeachment. 

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 9:38 AM
posted by iclfan2

What in the fuck is wrong with the media. Carson King, who raised $1M for Iowa’s children’s hospital, got old tweets from sophmore year in high school brought up by some piece of shit “journalist”. So now, Anheiser Busch pulls out of honoring him too. Why in the hell did someone feel the need to dig that up? Enemy of the people is such a fitting description. 

And, it turns out, the "journo" in question also had racist, homophobic tweets from 6-8 years ago.

Wed, Sep 25, 2019 9:44 AM
posted by justincredible

And, it turns out, the "journo" in question also had racist, homophobic tweets from 6-8 years ago.

Good. Fuck him and fuck the whole newspaper. Everyone involved should be fired, it's ridiculous. The editors even tried defending it, saying it was part of a normal background check. GTFO.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:13 AM

The White House on Wednesday released a transcript of President Trump’s July phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky showing him seeking a review of Biden family dealings in the country – but the document does not show Trump leveraging military aid as part of a quid-pro-quo, as Democrats have suggested in pressing forward with impeachment. The transcript, declassified by Trump a day earlier, indicates the call – which Trump made from the White House residence -- took place July 25 from 9:03 a.m. to 9:33 a.m. It begins with the president congratulating Zelensky on his election victory, before Trump eventually broaches the subject former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:18 AM
posted by QuakerOats

The White House on Wednesday released a transcript of President Trump’s July phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky showing him seeking a review of Biden family dealings in the country – but the document does not show Trump leveraging military aid as part of a quid-pro-quo, as Democrats have suggested in pressing forward with impeachment. The transcript, declassified by Trump a day earlier, indicates the call – which Trump made from the White House residence -- took place July 25 from 9:03 a.m. to 9:33 a.m. It begins with the president congratulating Zelensky on his election victory, before Trump eventually broaches the subject former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

The President of the United States asked a foreign head of state to investigate a political opponent. 

It deserves to be fully investigated and if true, is an abuse of power and an impeachable offense. 

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:19 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I have no idea what this is referring to? Did I miss something?

He was asked yesterday how he would lean.  He declined to side either way prior to hearing everything presented in an official capacity.

posted by ptown_trojans_1

To put it simply, if proven true: The President of the United States in a call with a foreign head of state wanted them to find evidence to target a political opponent, and if they did not, would stop foreign military aid. 

This deserves to be full investigated, vetted, and if found true, is the text book definition of abuse of power and impeachment.

That's my point.  My question was in response to something Spock said.  To me, in order for movement to happen only now, it was obvious this was a big deal.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:30 AM

The President of the United States asked a foreign head of state to investigate a political opponent. 

It deserves to be fully investigated and if true, is an abuse of power and an impeachable offense. 

I just read all 5 pages; as Trump said it was a great call.  He was right yet again.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:32 AM

He did not; he asked him to look into why the Ukrainian investigation was shut down.

Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:33 AM
posted by QuakerOats

I just read all 5 pages; as Trump said it was a great call.  He was right yet again.

LOL. Read pages 3-5 there chief. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:35 AM

You read them, and try to discern the MASSIVE difference between your conclusion and what really was said.

Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:43 AM

You think asking about Biden is impeachable? And you think the Senate would actually vote to remove him over it?

“There’s a lot of talk about Biden’s son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great,” Trump said in the phone call. “Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it…It sounds horrible to me.”

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 10:48 AM

And let me add:  If a sitting vice-president used American taxpayers’ money to effectively bribe a foreign nation to halt a foreign investigation for the personal benefit of that sitting vice-president, then you are God damn right the current president of the United States damn well better ask about it to find out what the hell was going on; it is his duty to do so ---- the criminality of that vice-president should be prosecuted.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 11:11 AM

This is so much hot air.  I just read the transcript.  Trump didn't threaten to withhold military aid if Biden wasn't targeted. He asked for the guy to follow up on an allegation.  I'm sure Trump would love to see Biden go down on something, but his request is legitimate and probably no different than any head of state would make in a similar situation.  

There have got to be transcripts of calls like this from every single president we've had.  What a joke to call this impeachable.

On an aside, I am glad QO has been able to fanboy the call by repeating Trump's description of it as a "great call".  If Trump said turds were dancing in the sky, QO would dash outside with a pair of binoculars.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 2:38 PM

The longer term issue would be that the other 36,942 things the other party has thrown out as "impeachable offenses" is behavior at least as if not more harmful to the union than this issue. What the hell do we do about that?

Wed, Sep 25, 2019 3:07 PM
posted by QuakerOats

And let me add:  If a sitting vice-president used American taxpayers’ money to effectively bribe a foreign nation to halt a foreign investigation for the personal benefit of that sitting vice-president, then you are God damn right the current president of the United States damn well better ask about it to find out what the hell was going on; it is his duty to do so ---- the criminality of that vice-president should be prosecuted.

If Obama had made a call like the one Trump made to Ukraine, you would be so far out in front leading the "Impeach to Save the Republic and the People" campaign.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 4:19 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

If Obama had made a call like the one Trump made to Ukraine, you would be so far out in front leading the "Impeach to Save the Republic and the People" campaign.  

LOL ……….the call was fine; talk to us about obama’s VP using OUR money to bribe a foreign government to back off of an investigation in order to save his son and his family.  Please explain that criminality, as well as why our current president should not be inquiring as to how all that came to pass.

For the second political scandal in a row you are confusing who first committed the actual crimes.  Fool me once, shame on ……

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 4:19 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

There's also the issue that directing the DOJ to investigate something is kind of a no-no.  And any influence or interference in an active investigation is an even bigger no-no.

On the other hand, is it materially different from "hey, Vlad, CUT IT OUT"?  I don't know, but there's clearly a line that can be crossed where you get into aid to a campaign our attacking political adversaries.  The Mueller investigation showed Trump doesn't necessarily know where the line is and isn't afraid of crossing it....and his handlers can't possibly save him from himself 24/7.

If I were the Dems, I'd just run on loop Trump saying "this can never happen to another President again" and then show him trying to do the same thing to Biden.

Wed, Sep 25, 2019 4:43 PM
posted by QuakerOats

LOL ……….the call was fine; talk to us about obama’s VP using OUR money to bribe a foreign government to back off of an investigation in order to save his son and his family.  Please explain that criminality, as well as why our current president should not be inquiring as to how all that came to pass.

For the second political scandal in a row you are confusing who first committed the actual crimes.  Fool me once, shame on ……

As I said earlier, I have no problem with the call.  However if Obama had made a similar call, you know damn well you'd be crying from the mountaintops about it.  That was my point.  

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login