Progressives, part 3...

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 4:35 AM

I actually think she feels it very strongly. She's got some problems which adds to it but it's very real to her. But it's because she's autistic and some other things that I kind of feel bad for her. She's just a kid who struggles with this kind of attention and often doesn't know how to express herself well. I don't know why the adults in the room aren't adulting but they should know very well that she's not going to handle criticism very well. At some point her parents are going to have to make the decision of "ok, that's enough, take a break away from the cameras and go play".

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 8:19 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

At some point her parents are going to have to make the decision of "ok, that's enough, take a break away from the cameras and go play".

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 8:34 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I actually think she feels it very strongly. She's got some problems which adds to it but it's very real to her. But it's because she's autistic and some other things that I kind of feel bad for her. She's just a kid who struggles with this kind of attention and often doesn't know how to express herself well. I don't know why the adults in the room aren't adulting but they should know very well that she's not going to handle criticism very well. At some point her parents are going to have to make the decision of "ok, that's enough, take a break away from the cameras and go play".

Her mom is the one pushing it... And it is very real to her because her parents have used her disability to brainwash her. But saying dumb shit like her childhood has been stolen and there is a mass extinction is crazy hyperbole. The left put these children on pedestals (her and the Hogg moron most recently) and then say well you can't criticize a child!

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 8:57 AM
posted by gut

I think she was trying to make the point about "white privilege" being the reason for his light sentence.  Just seemed very out-of-place - woe is me I didn't get the justice I deserved, oh and also woe are the people of color suffering under the same unfair justice system ...Came so naturally and matter-of-factly that it gives you an idea of how differently progressives are wired.  

wired differently as in having the ability to care about  issues that would never happen to them but continue to happen to other groups?

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 12:21 PM
posted by gut

I think she was trying to make the point about "white privilege" being the reason for his light sentence.  Just seemed very out-of-place - woe is me I didn't get the justice I deserved, oh and also woe are the people of color suffering under the same unfair justice system ...Came so naturally and matter-of-factly that it gives you an idea of how differently progressives are wired.  

I suppose one could dispute the "white" part of "white privilege" as the reason for the light sentence, but the truth is that Turner is from an affluent family and was on a college athletic scholarship and got a very light sentence for his crime. IF it is factually true that non-violent crimes by other groups (whether race or wealth is the dividing factor) get punished more harshly,than his, if I remember correctly, multiple charges of sexual assault, then it seems to me more like she was making a statement on how who you are has as much or more to do with repercussions as the actual offense and referring to that as "virtue signaling" probably says more about you than her. Now, if those claims have no factual merit to them and are one of those talking points regurgitated so often that people think they're true when they're not, then, yeah, you have a point.

Tue, Sep 24, 2019 1:38 PM

The Dems trying to lose 2020? Pelosi is supposedly announcing formal impeachment inquiry into Trump this afternoon.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 1:50 PM
posted by Heretic

Now, if those claims have no factual merit to them and are one of those talking points regurgitated so often that people think they're true when they're not, then, yeah, you have a point.

And that's exactly how it came across.  It could have been athletic privilege, or wealth privilege, or all of the above....or the fact that both people drank copious amounts of alcohol was a factor in sentencing.  In any event, her lack of justice has absolutely nothing to do with sentencing for possession of marijuana.

Just an awkward and poor analogy for her to make, and not one that would spontaneously come to most people in such a situation (hence my comment about being wired differently).

gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 1:54 PM
posted by iclfan2

The Dems trying to lose 2020? Pelosi is supposedly announcing formal impeachment inquiry into Trump this afternoon.

I think it might be appropriate.  If the story is true, he should absolutely be removed from office.  And I think the security committee, at minimum, should get to interview the witness and review transcripts.

This is basically Trump doing what he cried about with witch hunts and Hillary collusion for 2.5 years.  Absolute abuse of power, if true (and I suspect that it is), and grounds for impeachment.

Granted, I don't want to be Charlie Brown with the football here, but this doesn't appear to be fake news.  The only question is how bad it really is.  Impossible to know without knowing the context and content of the conversation, and if the Trump Admin won't cooperate then you have to use the powers of impeachment to get to the bottom of it.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 2:16 PM

You do know that the whistle blower wasn't even listening.  It was 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge.

Who knows if the transcript isn't doctored and changed.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 2:21 PM
posted by gut

I think it might be appropriate.  If the story is true, he should absolutely be removed from office.  And I think the security committee, at minimum, should get to interview the witness and review transcripts.

This is basically Trump doing what he cried about with witch hunts and Hillary collusion for 2.5 years.  Absolute abuse of power, if true (and I suspect that it is), and grounds for impeachment.

Granted, I don't want to be Charlie Brown with the football here, but this doesn't appear to be fake news.  The only question is how bad it really is.  Impossible to know without knowing the context and content of the conversation, and if the Trump Admin won't cooperate then you have to use the powers of impeachment to get to the bottom of it.

Wow, although not fully surprising.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 2:22 PM
posted by iclfan2

Should be fun; they were going to lose big anyhow.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 2:31 PM
posted by Spock

You do know that the whistle blower wasn't even listening.  It was 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge.

There supposedly were multiple advisors on that call, so you have witnesses.  Otherwise, if there is such a conspiracy as you're suggesting, eventually you'd have to ask yourself just how bad the guy is that so many people would break the law to try to get him out of office.

And 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge, when so many sources have identified it as credible, warrants an investigation.

Tue, Sep 24, 2019 2:38 PM
posted by gut

Otherwise, if there is such a conspiracy as you're suggesting, eventually you'd have to ask yourself just how bad the guy is that so many people would break the law to try to get him out of office.

You forgetting the Kavanaugh hearings?

gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 2:45 PM
posted by iclfan2

You forgetting the Kavanaugh hearings?

That was mainly a handful of people outside of the govt telling stories that couldn't be proven as lies.

What Spock suggested was altering a record where there are likely multiple copies of that record and several direct witnesses.  And you'd be talking treason.

Trump is a horrible POTUS who's only virtue is that he's not a liberal, and so some decent people are actually getting some decent work done.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 3:06 PM
posted by gut

That was mainly a handful of people outside of the govt telling stories that couldn't be proven as lies.

What Spock suggested was altering a record where there are likely multiple copies of that record and several direct witnesses.  And you'd be talking treason.

Trump is a horrible POTUS who's only virtue is that he's not a liberal, and so some decent people are actually getting some decent work done.

You are completely missing the reasons they are continually after him:  he is not like them; he is not part of their establishment; he is not a milktoast; he is not afraid to say what he thinks; he calls them out continuously for their never-ending failure to get things accomplished; he is uncontrollable by them; he is exposing their immeasurable hypocrisy; he is damning in nearly every way to their old ways ‘doing business’; he scares them.  They will spy on him, set him up, leak, lie, attempt a coup, and do anything else they can think of to get rid of him.  If they win, The People lose; if he gets 4 more years, The People may end up with a republic they can once again have faith in.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 3:19 PM
posted by QuakerOats

You are completely missing the reasons they are continually after him:  he is not like them; he is not part of their establishment; he is not a milktoast; he is not afraid to say what he thinks; he calls them out continuously for their never-ending failure to get things accomplished; he is uncontrollable by them; he is exposing their immeasurable hypocrisy; he is damning in nearly every way to their old ways ‘doing business’; he scares them.  They will spy on him, set him up, leak, lie, attempt a coup, and do anything else they can think of to get rid of him.  If they win, The People lose; if he gets 4 more years, The People may end up with a republic they can once again have faith in.

*slurp, slurp*

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 6:20 PM

Lol at CNN already reporting "the transcript might be doctored "

Also reporting that nobody has any evidence that Trump said anything unconstitutional. 

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 8:42 PM

My question is this:

People have been crying for impeachment for the years since inauguration.  Why now if not for new information?

Also, as much as I hate his politics, I appreciated Crazy Uncle Bernie refusing to assume guilt prior to the inquiry in front of his supporters (who would have creamed themselves if he had been more emotional).

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 9:36 PM
posted by QuakerOats

he is damning in nearly every way to their old ways ‘doing business’; he scares them.  

I do like how he sidelined the White House press secretary's role (who I have often referred to as the propaganda minister).  If he is going to lie he will do it to their face.  Not have some poor sap do it.  Who likes repetitive droning talking points being uttered with every question. 

I find it refreshing to hear impromptu direct engagement with the press on a regular basis rather than politically filtered dialogue through a surrogate.  I would agree in this case there is fear amongst the political establishment.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Sep 24, 2019 10:11 PM
posted by Spock

posted by Spock

Lol at CNN already reporting "the transcript might be doctored "

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login