Progressives, part 3...

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Aug 23, 2019 7:03 PM
posted by QuakerOats

We care because it is still part of the USA (sadly), plus all the ‘democrat’ candidates for president want to govern the nation in fashions similar to California and SF.  So exposing their batshit craziness is no doubt a service to the republic.

Have a great weekend.

The reason you care is because 24 hour Fox News basically told you to care. Prior to the 24 hour news cycle - for decades - SF was a corny place. There is nothing new about that except Fox baits guys like you for ratings by resetting the theme practically daily, getting you all fired up at a phenomenon that’s been there forever.  Why don’t you practice your rugged individualism and live and let live. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Aug 23, 2019 7:23 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Why are you and the Fox News set always so obsessed by San Francisco?  The place has always been crazy.  That the way people there want it to be. You don't live there, so why do you care?  Every single time SF does something batshit, your whole crew starts from square one with the same predictable reactions.  There's an easy solution: don't live there and stop reading about it.  

We all should care.....one of the most powerful people in DC is from there

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 23, 2019 8:33 PM
posted by Spock

We all should care.....one of the most powerful people in DC is from there

Really doesn't have THAT much to do with average Joe from the Bay.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 24, 2019 12:40 PM

The reason you care is because 24 hour Fox News basically told you to care. Prior to the 24 hour news cycle - for decades - SF was a corny place. There is nothing new about that except Fox baits guys like you for ratings by resetting the theme practically daily, getting you all fired up at a phenomenon that’s been there forever.  Why don’t you practice your rugged individualism and live and let live. 

Again I have to push back on you a little bit on this.

I actually used to live in Marin county and was in SF all the time. Sure you'd have a good time people watching but for the most part people were actually "liberal". The worst part of California was actually the pockets like Berkeley. 
Twenty or so years later and the Berkeley mindset has spread like wildfire, all over California. You don't have to watch FOX news whatsoever and have a similar viewpoint to QO on it. I have to agree with him on that mindset, it doesn't do anybody any good.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 24, 2019 1:52 PM

Why are you and the Fox News set always so obsessed by San Francisco?  The place has always been crazy.  That the way people there want it to be. You don't live there, so why do you care?  Every single time SF does something batshit, your whole crew starts from square one with the same predictable reactions.  There's an easy solution: don't live there and stop reading about it.  

Because it is (was) a great place to visit being ruined. It doesn't just affect those who live there.

Sat, Aug 24, 2019 5:54 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Because it is (was) a great place to visit being ruined. It doesn't just affect those who live there.

I was there about 5-6 months ago. I stayed for four days right next to Union Square. I walked a lot including one day to the Presidio and back. I saw some homeless people, but no more than I expect to see in any large city. The streets weren’t particularly dirty. The place was funky like it always is. Not saying there aren’t problems there. But the Fox Crew makes it to be like Revelations

Sat, Aug 24, 2019 10:57 PM

I was there about 5-6 months ago. I stayed for four days right next to Union Square. I walked a lot including one day to the Presidio and back. I saw some homeless people, but no more than I expect to see in any large city. The streets weren’t particularly dirty. The place was funky like it always is. Not saying there aren’t problems there. But the Fox Crew makes it to be like Revelations

I mean, it's been longer since I was there, but the whole area smelled like a vat of piss.  There weren't an outrageous number of homeless people ridding the streets, though.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 25, 2019 2:42 AM
posted by O-Trap

I mean, it's been longer since I was there, but the whole area smelled like a vat of piss.  There weren't an outrageous number of homeless people ridding the streets, though.

IMO, every oceanside city smells like that....combination of the the sea salt and dead fish.  I'll give you SF is worse, but half of it is just being close to the water.

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 25, 2019 11:31 AM

If these negative things about SF (or any large city that regularly gets bashed here) are directly a result of its liberalism, does that mean that how so many rural Ohio towns are meth'd up heroin trailer trash havens is a result of their conservatism? Or is the connection between a town, its political leanings and its problems only applicable when it's the other side in charge?

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Sun, Aug 25, 2019 1:36 PM
posted by Heretic

If these negative things about SF (or any large city that regularly gets bashed here) are directly a result of its liberalism, does that mean that how so many rural Ohio towns are meth'd up heroin trailer trash havens is a result of their conservatism? Or is the connection between a town, its political leanings and its problems only applicable when it's the other side in charge?

Seems to me the common denominator is government.

Sun, Aug 25, 2019 8:40 PM
posted by like_that

Seems to me the common denominator is government.

Mental illness, poverty, addiction too. 

Mon, Aug 26, 2019 1:14 AM
posted by gut

IMO, every oceanside city smells like that....combination of the the sea salt and dead fish.  I'll give you SF is worse, but half of it is just being close to the water.

That's the thing, though.  I come from southern California, and we go back frequently.  I'm not a stranger to the coast and the smells of a city there.

San Francisco smelled like human piss.  In the most literal of senses.  Like a drank-too-much-coffee piss.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 6:24 AM

So, when did college become a human right?

If free college becomes a thing, what will be the next "muh free shit is a human right!" ? Homes paid for? Cars? Certain clothing, such as shoes?

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 7:06 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

If free college becomes a thing, what will be the next "muh free shit is a human right!" ? Homes paid for? Cars? Certain clothing, such as shoes?

I'm pretty sure the progressives hate private ownership of cars....you know, climate change and fossil fuels and all that.....

Free college is such a rabbit hole.  Do you include room & board?  The taxpayer covers you for 6 years at Columbia for an Art History degree?

Mon, Aug 26, 2019 10:42 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Is that the argument, now?  That it's a full-blown right?  I know that's been the argument for healthcare and such, and I know the case for a publicly-paid tuition has been around for awhile, but I don't remember it actually being called a right.

Mon, Aug 26, 2019 10:50 AM
posted by gut

I'm pretty sure the progressives hate private ownership of cars....you know, climate change and fossil fuels and all that.....

Free college is such a rabbit hole.  Do you include room & board?  The taxpayer covers you for 6 years at Columbia for an Art History degree?

Flip that on its head, and it's equally problematic.

Since the government coffers would be where the tuition money is coming from, what prevents some bureaucratic infrastructure from telling me I'm not allowed to get my Bachelor of Science in Basket Weaving from Random State University?

How far does that go?  Would I not be allowed to get my Masters in Rabbinic Studies from AJU?

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 11:55 AM

The Bern now outright calling for nationalization of the energy sector.

The insanity is immeasurable.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 11:57 AM

You really get hung up on Fox News – phobia-like.  You can never discuss the issue, it is always just about the messenger.  Sad.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 12:46 PM

Journos are FREAKING that a group of Trump apologists went back and found idiotic tweets or other public comments that will make them look bad. Funny they think nothing of it when they do it to other people. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/us/politics/trump-allies-news-media.html

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 26, 2019 2:16 PM

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login