Progressives, part 3...

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 17, 2019 7:57 PM
posted by gut

LOL, I've been anticipating some every since I saw antifa and the far right idiots were going to have dueling rallies.

My rough guess would be most of the clowns, on both sides, are unemployed.

Either way, to join the Portland police force you apparently have to have a vagina. Bunch of pussies.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Aug 17, 2019 9:34 PM
posted by iclfan2

Either way, to join the Portland police force you apparently have to have a vagina. Bunch of pussies.

Any good links?  Everything I could find was pretty disappointing - just a shirtless black guy running around challenging people to "bang it out".

You know the world is screwed up when the racists don't wear masks but their antagonists do.

Sat, Aug 17, 2019 10:16 PM
posted by gut

Any good links?  Everything I could find was pretty disappointing - just a shirtless black guy running around challenging people to "bang it out".

You know the world is screwed up when the racists don't wear masks but their antagonists do.

Not really. Andy NGO retweets a bunch of stuff from there. Most of it were police leaving as Antifa beats someone. Can’t imagine anyone wanting to move to that place

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 18, 2019 12:18 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Wow, Otrap! I haven't seen you be so one sided in... well I've never seen it.  I'm guessing you're in the mood for a good debate LOL!

Just one of those far-too-prevalent things in Christian circles that makes them (and anyone who associates with them) sound like barely-literate troglodites.

The church fathers themselves would be ashamed.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 18, 2019 6:07 AM

Here's what I found about Portland/antifa:
https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1162869929533530113

There's a whole thread dedicated to footage.

cbus4life Ignorant
2,875 posts 6 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sun, Aug 18, 2019 2:49 PM

A few counterpoints to the Ngo fellow, lots floating around out there.

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1162972206147743744?s=19

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1163072932001845248?s=19

Sun, Aug 18, 2019 3:15 PM
posted by cbus4life

Right or wrong on this specifically, Andy Ngo is a partisan talking head.

Look, we've seen plenty of footage of Antifa attacking and intimidating random drivers and/or passers by.  It wouldn't have surprised me to know that this was them, but I think that's what Ngo is counting on when he tosses this out here, snipped to show what he wanted it to show.

If you've got American Guard, Proud Boys, and Antifa with any relevant presence in Portland, I can't understand why people aren't leaving in droves.  Maybe they are, and just nobody's really featuring it, but damn.

Sun, Aug 18, 2019 4:07 PM

Andy Ngo as far as I can tell, wasn't at this particular event. I'm thinking he got his footage from others. I could very well be wrong about this but I think he's afraid to go.

gut Senior Member
Sun, Aug 18, 2019 7:38 PM
posted by O-Trap

Right or wrong on this specifically, Andy Ngo is a partisan talking head....
If you've got American Guard, Proud Boys, and Antifa with any relevant presence in Portland, I can't understand why people aren't leaving in droves. 

I've always kind of assumed Ngo deliberately agitates to provoke a reaction, trying to make himself the story (which he did, to very bad results for him).  But those other links are full of people deluded to by their outrage.

As for Portland, antifa seems to be attracting the right-wing deplorables.  It's starting to look like a symbiotic relationship where all these losers fulfill each other's physiological needs to hate something.  People are only paying attention waiting for them to beat the crap out of each other.  Otherwise they just play dress-up and nobody cares.

If you want to go crazy conspiracy theorist, you almost have to wonder if they aren't all paid actors for the purpose of manufacturing news.  It's all just too conveniently packaged for the leftwing AND rightwing media.  Some of the names crack me up - you telling me "Proud Boys" didn't come from a focus group test?

Sun, Aug 18, 2019 9:01 PM
posted by cbus4life

That’s great, other than the entire premise of Antifa is stupid. There aren’t Fascists just running around everywhere. And the libs who are like omg wwii was a bunch of Anti fascists are clowns. Just stay home, and this shit doesn’t happen. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Sun, Aug 18, 2019 9:42 PM
posted by iclfan2

That’s great, other than the entire premise of Antifa is stupid. There aren’t Fascists just running around everywhere. And the libs who are like omg wwii was a bunch of Anti fascists are clowns. Just stay home, and this shit doesn’t happen. 

They dont realize that the only fascist actions are their own.  Its humorous 

gut Senior Member
Mon, Aug 19, 2019 12:22 AM
posted by Spock

They dont realize that the only fascist actions are their own.  Its humorous 

I'm really kind of shocked we haven't seen more mass shooters from the nutbag left.  The way the Dems and media constantly wind them up with identity politics, class warfare, evil corporations, and all things Trump.

I think we're at a tipping point on climate change, too.  You convince people we have 18 months to avoid extinction and Republican lawmakers are going to be blamed for blocking meaningful action, and targeted by wackos who will think they're saving the plant.

Tue, Aug 20, 2019 8:22 AM
posted by O-Trap

Just one of those far-too-prevalent things in Christian circles that makes them (and anyone who associates with them) sound like barely-literate troglodites.

The church fathers themselves would be ashamed.

I don't know about that. I think there is criticism and disdain enough to be shared by anybody towards Israel or Palestine. I myself can see it and I am Christian. I do tend to lean towards having less criticism towards Israel but I can't blame it on my faith. I can't say to what degree I lean, although it's not 100%. I'd say the cause of my leanings is just watching from the sidelines at who plays at shenanigans more. 

On a side note it is interesting, but by no means comical, to watch the rise of animosity towards Israel. What I can't gauge is if it is because of the financial dealings we have with them or something else. I think a bunch of it is financial, but that's just guesswork. And who knows? I might be completely off course with guesses. 

I also think that Trump is one of the causes of this newest trend. People have a way of letting him release their truest most innermost feelings, good or bad. He's certainly shown how very willing people are to lose their shit. Between him and social media, it has given the green light for people to display who they really are.

Tue, Aug 20, 2019 9:49 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I don't know about that. I think there is criticism and disdain enough to be shared by anybody towards Israel or Palestine. I myself can see it and I am Christian. I do tend to lean towards having less criticism towards Israel but I can't blame it on my faith. I can't say to what degree I lean, although it's not 100%. I'd say the cause of my leanings is just watching from the sidelines at who plays at shenanigans more. 

On a side note it is interesting, but by no means comical, to watch the rise of animosity towards Israel. What I can't gauge is if it is because of the financial dealings we have with them or something else. I think a bunch of it is financial, but that's just guesswork. And who knows? I might be completely off course with guesses. 

I also think that Trump is one of the causes of this newest trend. People have a way of letting him release their truest most innermost feelings, good or bad. He's certainly shown how very willing people are to lose their shit. Between him and social media, it has given the green light for people to display who they really are.

I truly think that the animosity comes from the nearly blind loyalty to Israel, which is indeed rooted in the correlation to the biblical Israel for many (most of the people in most churches I've been to, where it was even cavalierly spoken from the pulpit and agreed with among the congregants).

Granted, there are certainly other reasons that some favor an alliance with Israel, as well.  I'm not suggesting that there's only one reason.  Some people like them as a hub in the Middle East.  Some have the warm fuzzies for Bibi.  Some probably just support it because we've already been their allies for as long as we have.

I'm not even opposed to the notion that we shouldn't have friendly relationships with them.  As far as Middle Eastern countries go, they have a lot to offer.

I just get tired of the almost willful blind spot.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Tue, Aug 20, 2019 4:19 PM
posted by O-Trap

I truly think that the animosity comes from the nearly blind loyalty to Israel, which is indeed rooted in the correlation to the biblical Israel for many (most of the people in most churches I've been to, where it was even cavalierly spoken from the pulpit and agreed with among the congregants).

Granted, there are certainly other reasons that some favor an alliance with Israel, as well.  I'm not suggesting that there's only one reason.  Some people like them as a hub in the Middle East.  Some have the warm fuzzies for Bibi.  Some probably just support it because we've already been their allies for as long as we have.

I'm not even opposed to the notion that we shouldn't have friendly relationships with them.  As far as Middle Eastern countries go, they have a lot to offer.

I just get tired of the almost willful blind spot.

Let's be honest about another factor: public criticism of Israel is often answered by cries of antisemitism.  You can be critical of China and not be accused of hating Chinese people.  Same with France, Brazil, hell even North Korea.  But criticism of Israel is risky because in some quarters, it is like you're all of a sudden a Holocaust denier.  

Tue, Aug 20, 2019 4:28 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Let's be honest about another factor: public criticism of Israel is often answered by cries of antisemitism.  You can be critical of China and not be accused of hating Chinese people.  Same with France, Brazil, hell even North Korea.  But criticism of Israel is risky because in some quarters, it is like you're all of a sudden a Holocaust denier.  

Certainly a fair point, but I'd be curious to know the framework behind that response.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 20, 2019 4:33 PM

Ironically enough, the same people that say it's not racist to criticize Israel.....say it's racist to criticize illegal immigration.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, Aug 21, 2019 9:17 AM
posted by gut

Ironically enough, the same people that say it's not racist to criticize Israel.....say it's racist to criticize illegal immigration.

I don't think this is true.  Maybe people like the Squad feel this way.  But there are certainly plenty of people who don't.

Wed, Aug 21, 2019 12:27 PM
posted by cbus4life

here's a counterpoint to your counterpoint, Cbus! lol

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1164204660820992000

Wed, Aug 21, 2019 1:13 PM

Well that's not exactly correct. For that to be true you'd have to ignore things like the trendy intersectionality, post modernism, critical theory, etc. Anybody who mocks and criticizes "PoC" are immedately suspect and accused. It's why white supremacy/nazi/white nationalist, antifascist is thrown around so much nowdays. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login