Progressives, part 3...

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 2:23 PM
posted by Spock

good we can all move on now since everyone else moved on years ago.

Cool 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 3:47 PM

Koch Foods, where like 800 illegal immigrants were arrested in MS(?), is having a job fair.  And - shocker - people actually showed up to an interview.

So I guess illegals taking jobs from Americans has at least some truth to it.  Can't believe Trump hasn't tweeted this yet.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 3:50 PM
posted by gut

Koch Foods, where like 800 illegal immigrants were arrested in MS(?), is having a job fair.  And - shocker - people actually showed up to an interview.

So I guess illegals taking jobs from Americans has at least some truth to it.  Can't believe Trump hasn't tweeted this yet.

No way, you mean it isn't jobs that "Americans don't want to do" like the narrative we hear?

Mississippi unemployment rate is still at 6% compared to the 3.8% average, so I guess there are a few more people there still looking.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 3:55 PM
posted by jmog

No way, you mean it isn't jobs that "Americans don't want to do" like the narrative we hear?

They'd be the first to say how racist and demeaning that is if Trump said it.  I think the truth is more that Americans don't want to do those jobs for the same wages that illegals will accept.

But, LOL, looks like only 25-30 people actually showed up to apply.

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 6:27 PM
posted by gut

They'd be the first to say how racist and demeaning that is if Trump said it.  I think the truth is more that Americans don't want to do those jobs for the same wages that illegals will accept.

But, LOL, looks like only 25-30 people actually showed up to apply.

So wait, by and large, it doesn't seem like Americans want to do those jobs.  You'd think if it was just a matter of wage, they'd at least show up to see if a higher wage was available.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 6:55 PM
posted by O-Trap

So wait, by and large, it doesn't seem like Americans want to do those jobs.  You'd think if it was just a matter of wage, they'd at least show up to see if a higher wage was available.

Yeah, but people are lazy and I'd guess most just assume the pay is too low for what the job is.  But theory would say if illegals aren't there to take those jobs, then the pay must rise if the job is actually needed.  Are you telling me people really won't do those jobs if they paid a few bucks an hour more than McDonald's?

Starting pay was $12 per hour.  That would seem like a pretty decent wage for that area.  The job might take getting used to, but it's not hard labor like picking tomatoes.

Mon, Aug 12, 2019 6:59 PM
posted by gut

Yeah, but people are lazy and I'd guess most just assume the pay is too low for what the job is.  But theory would say if illegals aren't there to take those jobs, then the pay must rise if the job is actually needed.  Are you telling me people really won't do those jobs if they paid a few bucks an hour more than McDonald's?

Starting pay was $12 per hour.  That would seem like a pretty decent wage for that area.  The job might take getting used to, but it's not hard labor like picking tomatoes.

"... if the job is actually needed."

That can be a dangerous game to play.  Perhaps the jobs aren't needed at the higher rate of pay.  That would, it seems, result in fewer jobs, would it not?

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 7:00 PM
posted by O-Trap

Don't let this distract you from the fact that minimum wage should be $0. 

Mon, Aug 12, 2019 7:08 PM
posted by like_that

Don't let this distract you from the fact that minimum wage should be $0. 

Well, I have nothing against working for someone for free, so long as it isn't indentured.  That's volunteering.

Moreover, I have nothing against an absence of a minimum wage altogether.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 7:12 PM
posted by O-Trap

Well, I have nothing against working for someone for free, so long as it isn't indentured.  That's volunteering.

Moreover, I have nothing against an absence of a minimum wage altogether.

Agreed.

gut Senior Member
Mon, Aug 12, 2019 7:21 PM
posted by O-Trap

Perhaps the jobs aren't needed at the higher rate of pay.  That would, it seems, result in fewer jobs, would it not?

Maybe you lose some jobs, but then the workforce has shrunk by the deported illegals who were doing that job.

But not all the jobs will go away while your workforce contracts = upward pressure on wages.

wkfan Senior Member
1,850 posts 13 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 9:06 AM

Why take a low paying, menial, manual labor job when you can make a better living on welfare...which is now a lifestyle rather than a temporary measure.

Welfare reform will help this out....

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 9:14 AM
posted by wkfan

Why take a low paying, menial, manual labor job when you can make a better living on welfare...which is now a lifestyle rather than a temporary measure.

It *would* but it's never going to happen now. Nobody has the guts to face the uproar.

*Edit*

Bill Clinton is now being called a republican in part because of the reform he signed into law. Today's democrat state of mind is that anybody to the right of Bernie Sanders is republican, nazi, white supremacist. 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 9:19 AM
posted by wkfan

This is very true. The welfare system dis-incentivizes getting higher paying jobs. 

My sister in law used to be on food stamps as a single mother with 3 kids making something like $12/hr. She refused to take a promotion once that would put her at $15/hr because she would lose her food stamps.

I am not joking, refused a $3/hr raise. I explained the math to her that she would make almost $500 more per month pre-tax which for her was $500 pretty much because she got it all back anyway, and she only got something like $350 in food stamps.

Unfortunately, by the time I convinced her she was being stupid the position had been given to someone else. 

But the system also dis-incentivizes actually being married and/or living with your kids' father, which is asinine.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 9:53 AM
posted by jmog

But the system also dis-incentivizes actually being married and/or living with your kids' father, which is asinine.

Along those same lines, the reason immigrants happily accept the lower wages - and have money leftover to send back home - is because they'll not only live modestly, but live together to share expenses.  That's probably still a life of luxury to them.

The relative increase in poverty, probably not coincidentally, correlates with an increase in single-parent households.

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 10:00 AM
posted by gut

Along those same lines, the reason immigrants happily accept the lower wages - and have money leftover to send back home - is because they'll not only live modestly, but live together to share expenses.  That's probably still a life of luxury to them.

The relative increase in poverty, probably not coincidentally, correlates with an increase in single-parent households.

Absolutely.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 11:10 AM

Guy should have gotten his ass kicked, but wow seriously triggered!  But classy response for a guy who literally cries about Trump being a bully.

And LMFAO....never heard the whole Fredo thing.  It is pretty hilarious.  Cuomo might have to stay in the studio, because he's now guaranteed he'll be trolled constantly in public.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/12/chris-cuomo-threatens-man-who-hurled-italian-slur-fredo-at-him/

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 11:18 AM
posted by gut

Guy should have gotten his ass kicked, but wow seriously triggered!  But classy response for a guy who literally cries about Trump being a bully.

And LMFAO....never heard the whole Fredo thing.  It is pretty hilarious.  Cuomo might have to stay in the studio, because he's now guaranteed he'll be trolled constantly in public.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/12/chris-cuomo-threatens-man-who-hurled-italian-slur-fredo-at-him/

Laughed real hard at this. No Fredo is not a slur, no it is not comparable to the N word, Yes Cuomo had a guest on his show that used Fredo as a term about one of Trumps kids, and No the guy should not have got in his face out in public. Cuomo also said "Fake News" is the n-word for journalists. Seems like he likes to exaggerate. 

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 11:20 AM

It's a bitch move by some nobody, but it's NOT an ethnic slur.

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Aug 13, 2019 11:29 AM
posted by iclfan2

Laughed real hard at this. No Fredo is not a slur, no it is not comparable to the N word, Yes Cuomo had a guest on his show that used Fredo as a term about one of Trumps kids, and No the guy should not have got in his face out in public. Cuomo also said "Fake News" is the n-word for journalists. Seems like he likes to exaggerate. 

Sounds like a contest, Cuomo making up things that are the equivalent of the N-bomb vs. Bernie declaring things to be rights.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login