Progressives, part 3...

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 7:38 PM
posted by geeblock

I was referring to this article I read this morning 

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration?CMP=share_btn_fb

Congratulations you have found a person other than yourself that doesn’t know the definition of words he uses. Did you get gerrymandering definition  from this guy too? 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 7:39 PM

LOL, things Gblock perceives to be true....

- a lot of people are secretly white nationalist who only reveal themselves at Trump rallies

- no one wants open borders

- calling someone an immigrant is racist

- Trump is President because of gerrymandering

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 8:04 PM
posted by gut

LOL, things Gblock perceives to be true....

- a lot of people are secretly white nationalist who only reveal themselves at Trump rallies

- no one wants open borders

- calling someone an immigrant is racist

- Trump is President because of gerrymandering

Lol there you go with the extremes. I seriously didn’t think people really wanted open borders tho 

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 8:18 PM
posted by iclfan2

Why were you reading an article from 2015, from an author who has 2000 followers on twitter and hasn’t posted since 2016? With other articles like “100 amazing African cities completely destroyed by Europeans”.  

You agreed with the article bc you don’t understand what words mean. Expat isn’t a color. If a black US citizen goes to England for work, he’s an expat. 

I understand what the word meant jackass. The point was it’s not applied the same for everyone. I wasn’t talking about people showing up at the border seeking asyl

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 8:22 PM

While you guys are triggered might as well throw this one out there. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/republicans-standards-nothing-racist/594223/

Somehow you can easily find the racism and coded language when it comes to dems/Omar but struggle with trump. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 8:30 PM
posted by geeblock

I understand what the word meant jackass. The point was it’s not applied the same for everyone. I wasn’t talking about people showing up at the border seeking asyl

I don’t think you do know what it means. Keep fighting the good fight on here being afraid of the white boogeyman tho.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 8:44 PM

gblock has now moved onto the "yall triggered" portion of his act after getting stuffed into a locker.  Rinse and repeat. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 8:52 PM
posted by geeblock

Lol there you go with the extremes.

Those were your statements, not mine.  Seems kind of bizarre to say "there you go with extremes" when someone is simply repeating what you've said.

geeblock Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 9:00 PM
posted by gut

Those were your statements, not mine.  Seems kind of bizarre to say "there you go with extremes" when someone is simply repeating what you've said.

If that’s your level of understanding and education off of what I said I can’t help you. Nothing is ever in absolutes that I have ever said 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 10:13 PM
posted by geeblock

Lol there you go with the extremes. I seriously didn’t think people really wanted open borders tho 

You realize he literally quoted things you have said, and you called them “extreme”. Just saying, you are calling your own statements extreme. 

jmog Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 10:14 PM
posted by geeblock

Your original post about expats and immigrants shows you did not know the difference in the words. Similar to gerrymandering and it’s role in POTUS elections. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 10:47 PM
posted by geeblock

If that’s your level of understanding and education off of what I said I can’t help you. Nothing is ever in absolutes that I have ever said 

Then I think you should look-up the definition of the words you're using before posting.

And I didn't quote any absolutes, I simply quoted you. 

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 24, 2019 12:11 AM
posted by jmog

You seriously aren’t paying attention if you don’t believe the left wants open borders now. 

Eh, most of the ones I've come across don't.  They do want a faster process and lower bar, but remember, most liberals are big on growing social programs.  Social programs are paid for, in a major way, through taxes.  Taxes are achieved most easily through people's income being tracked, a la citizenship or legal, documented presence.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, Jul 24, 2019 12:47 AM
posted by O-Trap

Eh, most of the ones I've come across don't.  They do want a faster process and lower bar, but remember, most liberals are big on growing social programs.  Social programs are paid for, in a major way, through taxes.  Taxes are achieved most easily through people's income being tracked, a la citizenship or legal, documented presence.

I said the left not liberals, classic liberals you are right. I meant the current left. 

Wed, Jul 24, 2019 1:57 AM
posted by jmog

I said the left not liberals, classic liberals you are right. I meant the current left. 

Well, classical liberals don't care about generating tax revenue as much, because they believe in smaller government.

The current left, on the other hand, seems pretty keen on taxing people to pay for public initiatives.  But you can't tax someone's income if they're undocumented.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jul 24, 2019 2:27 AM
posted by O-Trap

But you can't tax someone's income if they're undocumented.

Unless they're paid illegally under the table, you probably take more taxes from undocumented workers.  If they don't file taxes, they aren't collecting numerous credits that would result in a refund of some of the taxes withheld by the employer.  Most of their taxes are otherwise FICA, which is, again, withheld (supposedly 3/4 of illegal workers have payroll taxes withheld).

I couldn't tell you how many illegals file taxes.  But many have fraudulent/fake/duplicate social security numbers, so they may be filing taxes.  I don't know, but I'm guessing it may be more of a red flag for them not to file since otherwise there's a W2 with no matching tax return every year.

Actually, I'd think most illegals do file (if they have a social security) to avoid the red flags AND to get that refund.  Except just like welfare leeches know every trick, illegals would probably school us on taxes....they probably know the max number of exemptions to claim without raising flags to minimize their withholding.

Wed, Jul 24, 2019 2:41 AM
posted by gut

Unless they're paid illegally under the table, you probably take more taxes from undocumented workers.  If they don't file taxes, they aren't collecting numerous credits that would result in a refund of some of the taxes withheld by the employer.  Most of their taxes are otherwise FICA, which is, again, withheld (supposedly 3/4 of illegal workers have payroll taxes withheld).

I couldn't tell you how many illegals file taxes.  But many have fraudulent/fake/duplicate social security numbers, so they may be filing taxes.  I don't know, but I'm guessing it may be more of a red flag for them not to file since otherwise there's a W2 with no matching tax return every year.

Actually, I'd think most illegals do file (if they have a social security) to avoid the red flags AND to get that refund.  Except just like welfare leeches know every trick, illegals would probably school us on taxes....they probably know the max number of exemptions to claim without raising flags to minimize their withholding.

Functionally, this is probably accurate, but do you think the average Democrat in today's political milieu is thinking about it at this level?  They tend to view paying taxes toward the plethora of public programs and initiatives as one's civic duty, full stop.

gut Senior Member
Wed, Jul 24, 2019 2:53 AM
posted by O-Trap

...but do you think the average Democrat in today's political milieu is thinking about it at this level? 

I think they see them as a potential bloc of dependent voters.  Not a lot of revenue to be had there.

Now I don't think a lot of our politicians are as dumb as they seem, but you're average progressive voter seems to believe taxing the rich solves everything.

Wed, Jul 24, 2019 3:07 AM
posted by gut

I think they see them as a potential bloc of dependent voters.  Not a lot of revenue to be had there.

Now I don't think a lot of our politicians are as dumb as they seem, but you're average progressive voter seems to believe taxing the rich solves everything.

Well, it seems like they believe that's something that isn't being done now, and they try to use corporate taxes as an example (which is obviously dumb), but it seems like most of them believe paying taxes is a civic duty for any and all who can.  That whole "fair share" thing, which is arbitrary bollocks.

Yeah, I didn't mean politicians.  I'm convinced they know better and probably don't care.  I was more referring to your average blue NPC.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 24, 2019 6:24 AM

So an activist complained that Macy's was selling fat-shaming plates. Macy's ended up pulling them.

I actually think they're "cute" and funny. Not a motif that I would want in my kitchen but still.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login