Progressives, part 3...

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 11:45 AM
posted by Heretic

The sad thing is that I'm not even remotely surprised that CC went full-on Trump apologist over his remarks to "the squad".

Not sure what "full on" means but I merely pointed out the fact that he never really actually made a racist comment in that tweet by implying that they go back to some country (which would be racist).  Telling someone to return to a place that they came from without implying it be based on race isnt really racist.  At least not to me.  I dont have a racist bone in my body so I guess I find this whole thing stupid.  

I am not defending Trumps twitterverse, I find most of the stuff he tweets to be stupid as shit and demeaning to the presidency (I thought the same thing about Obama and shit like his "beer summit")

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 11:49 AM
posted by Spock

[...] implying that they go back to some country (which would be racist) [...]

Is that your final answer?

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 12:36 PM
posted by geeblock

So after actually looking at the context of the whole conversation of what Omar said compared to the quotes being used against her. It’s actually not as bad as I thought or as is being portrayed. Muslim people shouldn’t have to answer or condemn terrorist attacks everyday of their life. White people dont have to answer every time there’s a school or church shooting and don’t get asked Daily to condemn those things because it’s a given. The same should go for Muslims. She’s also not the first person to hold the belief that we should get out of other countries and their business. This is definitely being blown up more than what was actually said in my op

Only caveat I would give is this: Islam is not a race, it i a religion. When a catholic priest rapes boys you better believe many/most Christians are asked to condemn it. Comparing Muslims as a race is disingenuous, they should be compared to other religions. Think about when the Westboro Baptists are complete idiots and give protestants in general a bad name. Those of us that grew up in a protestant church absolutely feel the need to condemn their actions and beliefs.

Islam is not a race, it is a religion. Treat it as one.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 12:38 PM
posted by O-Trap

Is that your final answer?

I actually think the answer is really simple.  He's always grouping them together and attacking them together, and in this case he's simply thinking specifically about Omar. 

He should have directed it only at Omar.  I think it's a fairly powerful observation to look at her rhetoric, and then point out how she came here as a refugee, and goes on to win a seat in govt making $192k per year.  Trump completely fumbled that, practically ruining the argument by including the others, but actually including the others completely distracted everyone from the point.

I get that America was "never great" for a lot of people.  But with Omar, her dad even held a govt job working in the post office.  So for her to say America isn't great is kind of a GFY moment.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 1:24 PM

Triggered over shorts. 

https://twitter.com/pwoodreporter/status/1153672248898797568

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 1:40 PM
posted by justincredible

Triggered over shorts. 

LOL, realized I didn't know the exact origin of "learn to code" - sic burn!  But I thought it was an alt-right thing?  Is that because it came from 4chan?  I always thought 4chan was a bunch of hackers mocking the PC crowd.  Didn't know they were racist.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/learn-to-code

Tue, Jul 23, 2019 1:48 PM
posted by gut

I actually think the answer is really simple.  He's always grouping them together and attacking them together, and in this case he's simply thinking specifically about Omar. 

He should have directed it only at Omar.  I think it's a fairly powerful observation to look at her rhetoric, and then point out how she came here as a refugee, and goes on to win a seat in govt making $192k per year.  Trump completely fumbled that, practically ruining the argument by including the others, but actually including the others completely distracted everyone from the point.

I get that America was "never great" for a lot of people.  But with Omar, her dad even held a govt job working in the post office.  So for her to say America isn't great is kind of a GFY moment.

He might have intended it for only Omar, but he never ultimately veered the rest of his point at her, even in a hinting, roundabout way.  The whole way through, it was consistent (Congresswomen, countries, places).  Even if we assume he was, there is genuine, impartial room to question if he would have done so had one of them been a white man or woman (or whatever other 80 genders there are now).

As for Omar, she's absurd and this little back-and-forth between any of the "Squad" and Trump gives all of them more attention than they warrant.

Spock Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 1:53 PM

We have Omar because of ridiculous policy of Obama taking refugees left and right due to political pressure from his party.  Trump just needs to sit back and let them own her since they cant control her.  But he cant.

Tue, Jul 23, 2019 1:54 PM
posted by justincredible

Triggered over shorts. 

Great.  Another "dog whistle."

Spock Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 1:54 PM
posted by O-Trap

Great.  Another "dog whistle."

By the look it might be a fish whistle

Tue, Jul 23, 2019 2:01 PM
posted by Spock

We have Omar because of ridiculous policy of Obama taking refugees left and right due to political pressure from his party.  Trump just needs to sit back and let them own her since they cant control her.  But he cant.

This is pretty much accurate (thought the Obama policy thing ... eh, he deported a lot in his time in the Oval Office ... not sure that's the 'why' behind her).

However yeah, if the Republican leaders were smart, they'd do just enough to keep her in the public eye without ever attacking her for it.  Let her do the damage she's already going to do.

But Trump apparently has no impulse control (surprise!), so he can't help himself.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 2:01 PM
posted by Spock

We have Omar because of ridiculous policy of Obama taking refugees left and right due to political pressure from his party.

Ummm, I think she came to the country in 1992.  But I'm sure you have a much more elaborate explanation for what you meant by the above.

Tue, Jul 23, 2019 2:07 PM
posted by gut

Ummm, I think she came to the country in 1992.  But I'm sure you have a much more elaborate explanation for what you meant by the above.

I didn't even catch how it could have been taken that way.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 2:08 PM
posted by O-Trap

He might have intended it for only Omar, but he never ultimately veered the rest of his point at her, even in a hinting, roundabout way. 

That's consistent with his style, though.  He creates a group, and then he demonizes that group with anecdotal stories about individuals he puts in that group.  Same thing he does with MS13 and immigration.

Whether it's diminishing his opposition, or creating a foil for his policies....that's pretty much politics 101.  As I've said before, the only thing really different about Trump in that respect is the vulgarity and crudeness of his style.  Obama was accused plenty by the right of using coded language and dog whistles.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 2:28 PM

It’s seems no matter how intelligent or how many degrees they have, people from brown countries don’t get to be seen as expatriates. They will always be “immigrants”. That isn’t always the case with other races or with Americans working/living abr

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 2:54 PM
posted by gut

LOL, realized I didn't know the exact origin of "learn to code" - sic burn!  But I thought it was an alt-right thing?  Is that because it came from 4chan?  I always thought 4chan was a bunch of hackers mocking the PC crowd.  Didn't know they were racist.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/learn-to-code

Maybe the media shouldn’t suck...

Learn to code started because reporters were saying coal miners being laid off bc of Obama should just go learn to code. So when newspapers n online publications started laying people off, the right used it to get back at them for their lack of empathy. It isn’t alt-right. It’s hilarious, and they cried so much twitter started suspending accounts telling people learn to code, which was ridiculous. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 3:15 PM
posted by iclfan2

Maybe the media shouldn’t suck...

Learn to code started because reporters were saying coal miners being laid off bc of Obama should just go learn to code. So when newspapers n online publications started laying people off, the right used it to get back at them for their lack of empathy. It isn’t alt-right. It’s hilarious, and they cried so much twitter started suspending accounts telling people learn to code, which was ridiculous. 

Anything is alt-right these days if it goes against the leftist grain. 

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 3:23 PM
posted by O-Trap

I didn't even catch how it could have been taken that way.

I don't really understand how it could have been taken any other way.

Omar won 78% of the vote in district that is 67% white.  I thought possibly he was making an argument that MIGHT apply to Tlaib, which is a large Muslim community around the Dearborn area got her elected.  Of course, most of them are probably 3rd-4th generation American.

gut Senior Member
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 3:45 PM
posted by geeblock

It’s seems no matter how intelligent or how many degrees they have, people from brown countries don’t get to be seen as expatriates. They will always be “immigrants”. That isn’t always the case with other races or with Americans working/living abr

I have literally never heard "expat" used to refer to anyone other than a US citizen living abroad, and immigrant is not a perjorative term.  The definition of someone who migrates to another country is literally "immigrant".

Omar is both a first-generation American, and an immigrant.  Both are correct.  I'm not sure where you've imagined some racist overtone, again.

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 4:00 PM
posted by geeblock

Huh? You do realize someone who is living abroad from America is an expatriate, someone living in America from another country is an immigrant. They are two different words with two different meanings. One someone who left, one someone who came. 

That was about as good as gerrymandering. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login