Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 114 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 10, 2019 3:28 PM
posted by O-Trap

She's getting absolutely crucified for that.

Rightly so, but ... damn.

As far as I can tell, A LOT of misconceptions out there on climate change are the non-scientist writers and politicians ignorantly and/or deliberately misrepresenting the research.

It never ceases to amaze me how there is virtually no skepticism over the fantastic "existential/catastrophic" predictions being pushed as a consensus.  Literally almost no good science to remotely support that claim, yet pointing that out gets you labeled anti-science.

Even more amazing if people would just take the blinders off and try to reconcile what's actually being done vs. the doomsday talk.  It's a useful political wedge, but there's been very little practical and effective policy response.  If it had ever been remotely a real crisis, the world would have been building nuclear plants all over the place 20 years ago as the quickest and most effective interim solution.  "If the world is going to end in 12 years, then we MUST start building nuclear plants yesterday!!!!'.......Activist response "ehhhh, too risky and all that nasty waste".  OK, so basically your claims are complete bullshit.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 10, 2019 3:50 PM

LOL, that didn't go the way she thought it would.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 10, 2019 4:15 PM

This was a comment on one of her tweets. It's probably been posted in the meme's thread before, but it's funny.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 10, 2019 10:25 PM

Lol AOC calling Pelosi racist basically. Love it

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Jul 10, 2019 11:19 PM
posted by iclfan2

I mean ... you knew this was coming.  The DNC is poised for something of a civil war.  You've got the old-school, practical, politician-first Democrats and the "pigeon playing checkers" Democrats.

My guess is that the latter wins.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 12:28 AM
posted by O-Trap

... You've got the old-school, practical, politician-first Democrats....

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 12:31 AM
posted by iclfan2

It's hard for me to guess if AOC really cares about policy and change, or if she instinctively understands how to tap into Twitter fame and get rich.....financially speaking, losing re-election is the best thing that can happen to her.  But she has to lose - no credibility if she walks away for a seven-figure job at MSNBC. 

So the more outrageous she gets, the more attractive she becomes to MSNBC while also being more likely to lose in 2020.

Thu, Jul 11, 2019 12:41 AM
posted by gut

Relatively speaking.

Compared to AOC, Pelosi is more pragmatic.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 9:03 AM
posted by gut

So the more outrageous she gets, the more attractive she becomes to MSNBC while also being more likely to lose in 2020.

Any press is good press for the attention-seeking.  She knows how to keep herself in front of the camera in any situation.  She will be a victim, bully, smart, dumb, wise, stupid, reserved, impulsive - whatever it takes to keep the focus on her.  She's seems to have Trump's knack for self-promotion.  Now he's been doing it a lot longer, so we'll see if she can keep it up.  In general though, I don't believe even she believes half her BS.  

BoatShoes Senior Member
5,991 posts 23 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 9:14 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Any press is good press for the attention-seeking.  She knows how to keep herself in front of the camera in any situation.  She will be a victim, bully, smart, dumb, wise, stupid, reserved, impulsive - whatever it takes to keep the focus on her.  She's seems to have Trump's knack for self-promotion.  Now he's been doing it a lot longer, so we'll see if she can keep it up.  In general though, I don't believe even she believes half her BS.  

She's basically an Instagram "celeb" in a position of political power. I don't see her losing a primary. She'll leave voluntarily leave claiming congress is broken and start a scam non-profit or PAC, etc. like Al Sharpton's National Action Network.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 9:37 AM
posted by BoatShoes

She's basically an Instagram "celeb" in a position of political power. I don't see her losing a primary. She'll leave voluntarily leave claiming congress is broken and start a scam non-profit or PAC, etc. like Al Sharpton's National Action Network.

I don't see her losing a primary either, but if she did get your popcorn ready. 

Thu, Jul 11, 2019 10:34 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

In one sense, I think she's better at it, at least in the short term, because it's been less overt.

Trump comes out and talks himself up as part of his self-aggrandizement.  I don't remember any time in which she came right out and said how smart/competent/successful she is, but people still buy into it with her.

posted by BoatShoes

Was she an 'Instagrammer' before politics?  I'm not really plugged into Instagram.

posted by like_that

I don't see her losing a primary either, but if she did get your popcorn ready. 

Man, that would be a shit show ... and great entertainment.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 5:08 PM

So with the Trump social media summit naturally the media is going overboard about it. Calling the people invited/going as extremists, nazi's and white supremacists lol

Tim Pool is a lefty and is going - extremist.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 6:47 PM

More nonsense:

“Sens Jacky Rosen (D-NV) and Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) today called on the Senate Commerce Committee to hold a hearing "on the significant issue of pay disparity between men’s and women’s sports in the United States," according to a release.”

In the release (besides soccer) they bring up the WNBA and women’s Olympic hockey...LOL. Simple economics escapes these people.

Thu, Jul 11, 2019 6:54 PM
posted by iclfan2

More nonsense:

“Sens Jacky Rosen (D-NV) and Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) today called on the Senate Commerce Committee to hold a hearing "on the significant issue of pay disparity between men’s and women’s sports in the United States," according to a release.”

In the release (besides soccer) they bring up the WNBA and women’s Olympic hockey...LOL. Simple economics escapes these people.

FFS

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 7:00 PM
posted by iclfan2

It may not be that simple.  I'm not sure if the NBA has an official affiliation with the WNBA, but some owners own both teams.  Yes, I said "owners" :)

So while the revenues are vastly different, not that pretty much only football and men's basketball generate revenue in college (and that was generally only the top 30 or so teams, but maybe it's changed).  Still, Title IX dictated equality despite obvious inequality in revenue generation.

Not sure how it all plays out, but it's not without precedent.  Most people probably don't get the argument with soccer, they just a woman's team that is much more successful than the men.  But keep pushing the limits until you find an absurd example (WNBA) that everyone can readily understand.

But congrats to Rapino et al, along with the likes of Kaepernick, using politics to get themselves overpaid.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 8:45 PM
posted by gut

It may not be that simple.  I'm not sure if the NBA has an official affiliation with the WNBA, but some owners own both teams.  Yes, I said "owners" :)

So while the revenues are vastly different, not that pretty much only football and men's basketball generate revenue in college (and that was generally only the top 30 or so teams, but maybe it's changed).  Still, Title IX dictated equality despite obvious inequality in revenue generation.

Not sure how it all plays out, but it's not without precedent.  Most people probably don't get the argument with soccer, they just a woman's team that is much more successful than the men.  But keep pushing the limits until you find an absurd example (WNBA) that everyone can readily understand.

But congrats to Rapino et al, along with the likes of Kaepernick, using politics to get themselves overpaid.

The NBA founded the WNBA and I am pretty sure they still govern it.  There are about 5 teams that have the same ownership. 

Imagine if male models sued to be paid as much as female models.   That's the same thing as what the USWNT is trying to do.  You have to be paid relative to your competition and that concept is going over a lot of heads. 

Nobody wants to bring up the fact that the USWNT signed a CBA in 2017.  If they don't like what they are being paid, then why did they agree to the CBA?  Why not hold out until a new and better CBA is agreed upon?  If they are worth the value they believe they are worth, they could easily just tell the USSF to fuck off and start their own federation.   It worked out for women's tennis.  Billie Jean & co told the men to fuck off and started the WTA.  They built the women's tennis brand and now they make good money.

gut Senior Member
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 9:02 PM
posted by like_that

...It worked out for women's tennis.  Billie Jean & co told the men to fuck off and started the WTA.  They built the women's tennis brand and now they make good money.

I don't disagree with any of that.  Kind of sad to see FIFA cave and pay them a bigger share.  Men should go sue and say "hey, we're entertainers - Elton John doesn't have to give his money to Nicki Minaj just because he can charge higher ticket prices".

Of course, the politicians and officials don't care because it isn't their money.

And speaking of Title IX, really men's football shouldn't count in the calculation.  And you could argue men's basketball shouldn't, either.  Throw out the revenue positive sports that pay for themselves and THEN divide the scholarships equally.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Jul 12, 2019 10:44 AM
posted by iclfan2

More nonsense:

Settle it on the pitch.  Have the women’s team play the men’s team, and if it ends in a tie, then pay them all equally. 

PS – if the men run it up to say, 13-0, like a recent score I saw, I assume it will be ok if they whoop it up on every goal.

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Fri, Jul 12, 2019 11:06 AM
posted by QuakerOats

Settle it on the pitch.  Have the women’s team play the men’s team, and if it ends in a tie, then pay them all equally. 

PS – if the men run it up to say, 13-0, like a recent score I saw, I assume it will be ok if they whoop it up on every goal.

They did play a mens team awhile back before leaving for WC.  They played a U16 team in California and lost to them 2-1.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login