Progressives, part 3...

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Jun 22, 2019 3:21 PM
posted by like_that

No doubt the butt hurt would have been coming form the right if Obama did the same thing.  On the flip side, as unprofessional as it is, this type of shit is part of why Trump got elected. 

The one lesson Repubs should take from Trump is, instead of ducking & dodging the attacks from identity politics, Trump fires back.

In general, Republicans waste too much energy and political capital trying to appease, much less not offend, people who are never going to vote for them anyway.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 9:19 AM

So we have reparations, Warren wants to pay gays for not being able to get the marriage tax benefit since they couldn't marry for years, and Bernie wants to just take away all student debt. The 2020 Dem platform is promise as much free shit as possible even if it will never pass. It's like a when you were in high school promising for better lunches and a soda machine. 

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 10:30 AM
posted by iclfan2

So we have reparations, Warren wants to pay gays for not being able to get the marriage tax benefit since they couldn't marry for years, and Bernie wants to just take away all student debt. The 2020 Dem platform is promise as much free shit as possible even if it will never pass. It's like a when you were in high school promising for better lunches and a soda machine. 

I firmly believe that nobody actually believes in this except for the people who are experiencing something like a religious ecstasy.

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 10:40 AM

Still pretty pissed about not getting the soda machine, TBH. 

BRF Senior Member
11,621 posts 107 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 10:56 AM
posted by fish82

Still pretty pissed about not getting the soda machine

Pop

FatHobbit Senior Member
9,058 posts 68 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 12:05 PM
posted by geeblock

For some reason people are acting like it’s just a very small number of racist trump/white nationalist supporters. I don’t think that’s true. I see lots of it. I guess maybe it makes you feel better about supporting him if u minimize that aspect of it 

All of my redneck family and friends who support Trump feel like Obama did too much for "the blacks". (Even the Democrats)  They are thrilled that Trump is rolling back anything and everything Obama. I know that's not a scientific poll but I know exactly what and who geeblock is talking about. 

fish82 Senior Member
4,402 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 12:13 PM

I don't have any redneck family/friends, so I guess I'll just have to take you guys' word for it. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 1:42 PM
posted by FatHobbit

All of my redneck family and friends who support Trump feel like Obama did too much for "the blacks". (Even the Democrats)  They are thrilled that Trump is rolling back anything and everything Obama. I know that's not a scientific poll but I know exactly what and who geeblock is talking about. 

There is a difference between knowing a few people like that vs using your own anecdotal evidence to paint a broad brush on over 62M people who voted for Trump.  Gblock literally said all racists vote for Trump, and he has nothing to back it up except he "sees it."  This whole notion that a mass group of racists came out of the woods to vote for Trump is pretty weak, considering Obama was elected twice.  The racists stayed at home for a black candidate, but decided to come out for a white man? The same African Americans who came out to vote for Obama, didn't come out to vote against Trump in 2016?  Those are pretty simple rhetorical questions, that immediately pick apart gblock's flawed logic.  

I have lived in DC for 7 years now and have experienced or witnessed several racist experiences directed at white people (or black on hispanic/hispanic on black).  Considering DC votes nearly 93% Democrat, it's safe to say all black/hispanic/etc racists all vote Democrat.  While we are at it, since I see it with my own eyes, all anti-semites vote Democrat as well.  Does this seem ridiculous?  If so, it's the same exact logic gblock is using. 

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 1:54 PM
posted by like_that

There is a difference between knowing a few people like that vs using your own anecdotal evidence to paint a broad brush on over 62M people who voted for Trump.  Gblock literally said all racists vote for Trump, and he has nothing to back it up except he "sees it."  This whole notion that a mass group of racists came out of the woods to vote for Trump is pretty weak, considering Obama was elected twice.  The racists stayed at home for a black candidate, but decided to come out for a white man? The same African Americans who came out to vote for Obama, didn't come out to vote against Trump in 2016?  Those are pretty simple rhetorical questions, that immediately pick apart gblock's flawed logic.  

I have lived in DC for 7 years now and have experienced or witnessed several racist experiences directed at white people (or black on hispanic/hispanic on black).  Considering DC votes nearly 93% Democrat, it's safe to say all black/hispanic/etc racists all vote Democrat.  While we are at it, since I see it with my own eyes, all anti-semites vote Democrat as well.  Does this seem ridiculous?  If so, it's the same exact logic gblock is using. 

If u can find a white nationalist/hategroup/kkk/insert term/  that isn’t voting or endorsing trump I’ll take it back 

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 2:06 PM
posted by geeblock

If u can find a white nationalist/hategroup/kkk/insert term/  that isn’t voting or endorsing trump I’ll take it back 

Link to exit polling data showing how many voted for Trump?

queencitybuckeye Senior Member
8,068 posts 120 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 2:29 PM
posted by geeblock

Antifa

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 2:33 PM
posted by geeblock

1.  Every side has their own hate groups.  White males probably have more directed at them then what they have.

2.  KKK......you do realize that most of that originated from democrats?

3.I have said it before.....you use the term nationalist like its a negative term.  You do realize when Trump uses it that he refers to "American"?  Only the left wing radicals use it as some sort of nazi term.

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 3:18 PM

1. Woe is me poor white males.

2. Irrelevant to the conversation 

3. I said white nationalist groups which are in fact racist gr

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 3:34 PM
posted by geeblock

Ralph Northam and anyone who voted for him + still support him.  *Yawn* it's too easy to pick apart severely flawed logic.  

Btw. I don't deny Trump and/or the GOP have problematic supporters, but to pretend that is why he won and pretend the Democrats don't have their fair share of problematic supporters is laughable at best.  

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 3:56 PM
posted by like_that

Ralph Northam and anyone who voted for him + still support him.  *Yawn* it's too easy to pick apart severely flawed logic.  

Btw. I don't deny Trump and/or the GOP have problematic supporters, but to pretend that is why he won and pretend the Democrats don't have their fair share of problematic supporters is laughable at best.  

I never said dems were better didn’t say they didn’t have problematic supporters. I have said many times at this point I won’t be voting. The dem candidates are a joke. I don’t think it is the “reason” he won. But the strategy that he’s using to go against the establishment and “make America great again” the whole slogan is offensive to me and  really doesn’t make the black vote necessary for him to win and I don’t think he cares. Those ideologies also fit right in line with those who would never say the n word but will go in every comment section and say “thugs” or “animals” as referring to black people. It’s a definite “rebranding” I talked to my co worker who is a proud boy and he was explaining that well the ok sign is not really a white power sign but we just do it to troll because people think it is. I guess I just don’t get it. I’m not a white supremest but I just pretend to be one on the weekends? We had to agree to disagree. To me pretending to be white supremest is just semant

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 4:16 PM

Does the site freeze for anyone else when u hit reply from your phone?

gut Senior Member
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 4:43 PM
posted by geeblock

...But the strategy that he’s using to go against the establishment and “make America great again” the whole slogan is offensive to me...

Why does "MAGA" have to refer to the Jim Crow era, and why would it?  What is racist/offensive about bringing jobs back?  What is racist about improving economic growth?  What is racist about American exceptionalism?  The slogan is offensive to you because the mainstream media told you it means something it doesn't.  It was their effort to associate every thing with Trump as being "alt right" - a term, by the way, that pretty much no one had heard of before August 2016.

What policies has Trump proposed or passed do you consider to be racist?  Other than his "Muslim ban" I can't think of any.  There is nothing inherently racist about MAGA - the slogan was simply about restoring prosperity from the 80's/90's that had left the working class behind.  It actually is quite good because it was intended to deliberately contrast Obama's "Hope and Change" and "Forward" as being the wrong path for economic prosperity.

There's a lot to dislike about Trump.  The idea that he caters to the far right - a pretty small subset of the Republican party - and won the election on that is liberal bullshit.  He won the election because middle class voters in OH, MI and PA thought he was better than Hillary on jobs and the economy.  Period.

geeblock Member
Mon, Jun 24, 2019 5:31 PM
posted by gut

Why does "MAGA" have to refer to the Jim Crow era, and why would it?  What is racist/offensive about bringing jobs back?  What is racist about improving economic growth?  What is racist about American exceptionalism?  The slogan is offensive to you because the mainstream media told you it means something it doesn't.  It was their effort to associate every thing with Trump as being "alt right" - a term, by the way, that pretty much no one had heard of before August 2016.

What policies has Trump proposed or passed do you consider to be racist?  Other than his "Muslim ban" I can't think of any.  There is nothing inherently racist about MAGA - the slogan was simply about restoring prosperity from the 80's/90's that had left the working class behind.  It actually is quite good because it was intended to deliberately contrast Obama's "Hope and Change" and "Forward" as being the wrong path for economic prosperity.

There's a lot to dislike about Trump.  The idea that he caters to the far right - a pretty small subset of the Republican party - and won the election on that is liberal bullshit.  He won the election because middle class voters in OH, MI and PA thought he was better than Hillary on jobs and the economy.  Period.

What year are you talking about was great? Whatever year you make it wasn’t great for black people. U can have your opinion about it and I can have mine. I find it funny that you have to believe that somehow because I disagree with you that I was fooled by the media and fake news. I’m not saying u are calling me stupid but you are def saying that your interpretation is correct and I’m just a sheep. If that’s what it means to you that’s great. I don’t see it coming off like that and I have never seen a link where it mentioned the 80-90s or ever heard trump reference those years and he has been asked right? It would alter my opinion for sure if he said that 

FatHobbit Senior Member
9,058 posts 68 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Jun 25, 2019 9:47 AM
posted by gut

There is nothing inherently racist about MAGA - the slogan was simply about restoring prosperity from the 80's/90's that had left the working class behind.  It actually is quite good because it was intended to deliberately contrast Obama's "Hope and Change" and "Forward" as being the wrong path for economic prosperity.

Obama's hope and change meant a better world for people who had been marginalized. It's not too much of a stretch to see MAGA as turning back things to when they were better for straight white males and the blacks and the gays knew their place  and did what they were supposed to. (Keep quiet and accept things the way things are) 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Tue, Jun 25, 2019 10:02 AM
posted by FatHobbit

Obama's hope and change meant a better world for people who had been marginalized. It's not too much of a stretch to see MAGA as turning back things to when they were better for straight white males and the blacks and the gays knew their place  and did what they were supposed to. (Keep quiet and accept things the way things are) 

that is complete bullshit.  You think that Trump (a world class business man) cares about race, sex, gender etc...... when he came up with a campaign slogan?  I think he was aiming toward MAGA meaning things about the economy, how we stand internationally, the power of the military.  To think it was meant to empower white males to take over the country is stupid

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login