posted by Fab4Runner

Yes, you need a phone to get a job. 

No you dont.  Does it help....sure.  But you can get a job without a phone

Fab4Runner Tits McGee
6,997 posts 64 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 11:41 AM
posted by Spock

Ok, bud. It definitely makes sense to take away the most useful tool someone can have to find a job. We should definitely make it as difficult as possible for poor people to find employment. 

Spock Senior Member
5,271 posts 9 reps Joined Jul 2013
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 11:43 AM
posted by Fab4Runner

Ok, bud. It definitely makes sense to take away the most useful tool someone can have to find a job. We should definitely make it as difficult as possible for poor people to find employment. 

The most powerful thing is a phone?  No its walking in someone's door looking for a job

Fab4Runner Tits McGee
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 11:58 AM
posted by Spock

The most powerful thing is a phone?  No its walking in someone's door looking for a job

It's not 1970 anymore. 

I hope you also realize that not everyone owns a car and thus can't just drive around town filling out applications all day.

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 2:02 PM
posted by O-Trap

There's a flaw baked into this idea.  It's within this line:
"[...] we have the middle class actually stumping for the top 1% as if they had some connection to them."

This assumes that the only reason those in the middle class would ever side with the top 1% is because they identify with them.  It precludes any notion that it's because those people believe that their position is ethically and philosophically more reasonable.

Worth noting: I know very few, if any, who are in lock step with billionaires on everything.  Plenty who oppose tax increases on the wealthy, for example, also oppose those same wealthy individuals using their money to influence legislation.

Better yet, it precludes the notion that those in the middle class understand they have the economic mobility to potentially one day move up to/toward the top ………so long as the Marxists do not get elected.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 2:04 PM
posted by Fab4Runner

Yes, you need a phone to get a job.

Oddly enough, today you do not need a phone to get a job; you can literally walk in the front door of just about any business and be granted an interview because of the serious tightness of the current job market --- almost every employer is having difficulty finding enough workers (or should I say, people who want to work).

Spock Senior Member
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 5:43 PM
posted by Fab4Runner

It's not 1970 anymore. 

I hope you also realize that not everyone owns a car and thus can't just drive around town filling out applications all day.

So you are arguing with me the semantics of getting a job and you are going to bat for people that dont have a car but spend their money on a phone.....you see the irony in that dont you?

Fab4Runner Tits McGee
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 6:25 PM
posted by Spock

So you are arguing with me the semantics of getting a job and you are going to bat for people that dont have a car but spend their money on a phone.....you see the irony in that dont you?

Do you think a phone costs the same amount as a car, insurance, gas and maintenance? A phone is $45 a month. 

Again, I don't see the purpose of making it as hard as possible for a poor, unemployed person to get a job. If you actually want people to find work, get off unemployment and contribute to society, you'd make it easier, not harder.

Spock Senior Member
Mon, Sep 16, 2019 7:11 PM
posted by Fab4Runner

Do you think a phone costs the same amount as a car, insurance, gas and maintenance? A phone is $45 a month. 

Again, I don't see the purpose of making it as hard as possible for a poor, unemployed person to get a job. If you actually want people to find work, get off unemployment and contribute to society, you'd make it easier, not harder.

I have 5 jobs rotating around that I choose to do.  I can get a few more at any time.  Getting a job isn't hard and surely doesnt require a phone. 

Remember the conversation started about holding unemployed welfare takers to a high standard to get free money.  Having the priorities  of feeding your kids over a cell bill seems like a logical thing to ask for.  

QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, Sep 17, 2019 11:45 AM

$1.2 billion coal-to-liquids facility to be built in WVA. 

Change we can [really] believe in …

“You didn’t build that”

“We’re going to bankrupt your industry”

“We’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business” 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Tue, Sep 17, 2019 12:37 PM
posted by QuakerOats

$1.2 billion coal-to-liquids facility to be built in WVA.

I think this tech dates back to WWII.  It's generally not been cost effective until oil hits like $100 a barrel.  Why I laugh, because I'm guessing this is or hopes to be heavily subsidized....because climate change.  And I'd be curious to know the carbon footprint, because there's a lot of fossil fuel burned in that conversion process.

But it probably has mostly to do with all that coal WV is sitting on it doesn't know what to do with.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 18, 2019 11:43 AM

The libs will have to move from seeing psychologists to psychiatrists. 

O-Trap Chief Shenanigans Officer
18,909 posts 140 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 18, 2019 1:26 PM
posted by Spock

Not every job requires a phone, no.

However, not everyone can do, or is qualified for, the jobs that don't.  Based on my professional experience, (a) there's zero chance of me getting a job in a field I'm qualified for without a phone, and (b) even if I managed to somehow make that work, it would reflect poorly on me as a candidate to not have one.

Also, having a phone greatly increases the expediency by which you can get interviews for a new job.  It also increases the geography that you can cover in your job search.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face by trying to prevent someone from leveraging the little income they get from unemployment to make themselves a better candidate for future employment.

posted by QuakerOats

Better yet, it precludes the notion that those in the middle class understand they have the economic mobility to potentially one day move up to/toward the top ………so long as the Marxists do not get elected.

True, though baked into that is potential flaw as well.  A major criticism I've seen of those in the middle class voting with the top 1% is that many Americans see themselves as "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" -- that they're actually part of the wealthy class, and they're just not there yet [I was accused of that exact thing a few days ago, which is where I grabbed the term from].

Now, if that's true, then it does show a lack of self-awareness.  If the voting IS based on who a person thinks they will be, and they're just voting in a sense of fortune-telling self-interest, it's a lack of self-awareness, and in a manner of speaking, it's ethically no better than low-income citizens supporting exorbitant taxes on the wealthy.  Each is done in self-interest.  The former is just less self-aware.

Instead of voting for/supporting positions based on what will help ourselves the most, it makes sense to vote for what we think is ethically most defensible.  As a result, I will sometimes vote for things that are against my own interests.  You probably do as well.  Not because we see ourselves as "temporarily embarrassed millionaires," but because we think that it's the most ethical position.

posted by Spock

You're advocating driving all over God's green creation to "pound the pavement" for a job, which would cost more in a week than a cell phone plan would cost for a month.  You also appear to be advocating taking on a car payment (several times larger than a cell service plan).  Do you not see THAT irony?

posted by Spock

I have 5 jobs rotating around that I choose to do.  I can get a few more at any time.  Getting a job isn't hard and surely doesnt require a phone. 

Remember the conversation started about holding unemployed welfare takers to a high standard to get free money.  Having the priorities  of feeding your kids over a cell bill seems like a logical thing to ask for.  

A couple more notes:

(a) Aren't you employed by public school system(s)?  Do you not see the irony of someone whose permanent salary is paid for by taxation saying that someone whose stop-gap temporary income is covered through unemployment tax (which is paid whether or not it gets used by a given former employee) shouldn't have a phone?

(b) Not everyone who is looking for work can do the same thing as you.  I doubt there's a critical shortage of gym teachers.

(c) Who says one necessarily has to choose between feeding their children and a cell phone?  Is there some rash of children dying in the streets because their parents opted instead to pay their Cricket Mobile bill that I haven't heard about?  And what about the people who don't have kids?

(d) If you're wanting to cut things people are allowed to spend money on while they're collecting unemployment, maybe you'd want to hold off on things that, whether or not they're outrightly necessary, notably expedite the process of getting a new job AND are less expensive (read: less wasteful of that "free money") than the alternative.  After all, shoes aren't required for running a marathon either, but they help substantially.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Sep 19, 2019 11:15 AM

U.S. housing starts increased an impressive 12.3 percent in August, reaching a 12-year

August mfg up

August retail sales up

Media:  recession

Fake news may never end

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Sep 19, 2019 11:22 AM
posted by QuakerOats

U.S. housing starts increased an impressive 12.3 percent in August, reaching a 12-year

That's actually a strong and encouraging data point.  Of course, the dumbass builders always continue to overbuild right up until the recession hits

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Sep 19, 2019 12:21 PM

Going to need more units with open borders.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 4:15 PM

Stocks up 160 on yet another democrat face-plant

QuakerOats Senior Member
Thu, Sep 26, 2019 3:32 PM

Meanwhile, more winning ….

• “Trump said the first-phase deal would open up Japanese markets to some $7 billion worth of U.S. products annually, cutting Japanese tariffs on American beef, pork, wheat and cheese.”
Rotinaj Senior Member
7,878 posts 49 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 27, 2019 8:09 AM

“I think I’ll get a Nobel prize for a lot of things if they gave it out fairly, which they don’t"

WINNING.

QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, Oct 2, 2019 12:21 PM

Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. completes 457-foot furnace reactor tower for new Toledo operation

It's a major step on the iron ore mining company's path to opening a $700 million hot briquetted iron plant, which is slated to begin production in the first half of 2020.

“You didn’t build that” ……  LOL

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login