Disgusted with the Biden administration

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 13, 2022 4:16 PM
posted by Heretic

Dumb fucks need to open the wallets and hire someone who actually is good at insulting people if they want to play this game. Because whatever person or focus group in charge of thinking this shit up flat-out sucks. To the degree I feel personally offended that this level of "insult" was actually green-lit and thought sufficient to turn any sort of tide. I mean, come on: some of us take pride in our insults; don't disenfranchise us!

Ha, I can’t read the article but apparently whatever firm they used researched for 6 months to come up with that. 

QuakerOats Senior Member
Fri, May 13, 2022 4:34 PM

LOL

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 13, 2022 7:03 PM
posted by iclfan2

Ha, I can’t read the article but apparently whatever firm they used researched for 6 months to come up with that. 

Beat you get when you put a bunch of liberals in a room together every thing else offended someone in the room.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 13, 2022 8:30 PM

LOL. Sure.

justincredible Honorable Admin
37,969 posts 246 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, May 13, 2022 8:33 PM

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 202 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, May 14, 2022 7:29 AM
posted by iclfan2

That...is something.
QuakerOats Senior Member
Tue, May 17, 2022 4:26 PM

Link

Your tax dollars at work. 

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, May 18, 2022 6:53 AM
posted by kizer permanente

Tax increases reduce the deficit… something Republicans claim they care about but never do.  

You know what else reduces deficits? Not spending out of your ass.

I always love this argument.  It’s always everyone else’s responsibility to pay for everything, but it’s not the government’s responsibility to budget wisely.  There is plenty of wasteful fat that the Government can cut right now and the country wouldn’t miss a beat. 

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Wed, May 18, 2022 7:27 AM
posted by like_that

You know what else reduces deficits? Not spending out of your ass.

I always love this argument.  It’s always everyone else’s responsibility to pay for everything, but it’s not the government’s responsibility to budget wisely.  There is plenty of wasteful fat that the Government can cut right now and the country wouldn’t miss a beat. 

When's the last time they reduced spending? They increase spending (just as every administration does) and cut tax revenue. A genius plan. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 50 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 18, 2022 9:35 AM

When's the last time they reduced spending? They increase spending (just as every administration does) and cut tax revenue. A genius plan. 

Don't be that guy, cutting tax percent doesn't cut tax revenue.

Federal tax receipts as a percent of gdp has been basically flat since the 1950s, taking out the max/min outliers its hovering between 15.5% and 18.5% for 70 years regardless of income tax percent. 

Its the spending that has gone way up. for the most part of that 70 years spending has hovered between 15.5% and 22.5%, its been up over 30% currently. No other recession called for that much spending but apparently COVID did? 

Spending is the problem, period, anyone who can do basic math and read a couple graphs can tell that. Raise taxes/lower taxes, same percent of gdp comes in like clockwork, meaning the goal for tax policies should be to help economic growth, period, not virtue signaling "well this person pays less than his secretary" who gives a shit, grow the economy, period and the revenue goes up.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 18, 2022 9:38 AM

As a percent of GDP, in the 90s both Reagan and Clinton did, so did Obama after the last recession (although it never returned to the Bush years spending vs GDP, up to 2008 it was about 18%, lowest Obama got it was 20%).

So since realistically tax receipts and spending should be looked at vs GDP, spending has gone down a few times, just never comes back down to where it should be, same percent of GDP as tax receipts.

like_that 1st Team All-PWN
29,228 posts 321 reps Joined Apr 2010
Wed, May 18, 2022 10:16 AM

You’re not wrong. It’s bullshit.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 115 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 18, 2022 10:34 AM
posted by jmog

Don't be that guy

Good advice.  You realize a 2pt difference as a % of GDP is $400B today?  That's pretty significant, although if you look at a plot of revenue vs. GDP is LOOKS like there's no difference.  But typically today when we are talking about tax cuts/increases the amounts in question are usually $300-$400B annually, which is within that 2pt range.  Marginal changes and marginal difference.  Not flat or irrelevant.

This is what we typically see - tax cuts DO result in less revenue (try reading analyses instead of winging it off a chart with improper scale), but never as much as scored (maybe half).  Similarly, tax increases never raise as much revenue as projected.

Most of the tax "reform" over the past 50 years has been on the margins.  It's a simple game where the rich and corporations defer taxes for years (particularly cap gains), and take advantage of lower tax regimes to realize gains.  And that almost perfectly explains the above.

The rest of your post seems accurate.  Don't ruin a good point by leading with the right wing bullshit.

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 18, 2022 11:12 AM
posted by gut

Good advice.  You realize a 2pt difference as a % of GDP is $400B today?  That's pretty significant, although if you look at a plot of revenue vs. GDP is LOOKS like there's no difference.  But typically today when we are talking about tax cuts/increases the amounts in question are usually $300-$400B annually, which is within that 2pt range.  Marginal changes and marginal difference.  Not flat or irrelevant.

This is what we typically see - tax cuts DO result in less revenue (try reading analyses instead of winging it off a chart with improper scale), but never as much as scored (maybe half).  Similarly, tax increases never raise as much revenue as projected.

Most of the tax "reform" over the past 50 years has been on the margins.  It's a simple game where the rich and corporations defer taxes for years (particularly cap gains), and take advantage of lower tax regimes to realize gains.  And that almost perfectly explains the above.

The rest of your post seems accurate.  Don't ruin a good point by leading with the right wing bullshit.

The problem with your whole argument is that the spending is also swinging by hundreds of billions with each percent. Which is my whole point of the comment, jacking around with the tax rates does not move the needle where it needs to go to match spending no matter where we go with tax policy.

The spending has to come down relative to GDP period, since we can’t make the tax revenue go up significantly with respect to GDP, it’s never been above 20% in the last 70 years of tax policies.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Wed, May 18, 2022 11:43 AM
posted by jmog

The problem with your whole argument is that the spending is also swinging by hundreds of billions with each percent. Which is my whole point of the comment, jacking around with the tax rates does not move the needle where it needs to go to match spending no matter where we go with tax policy.

The spending has to come down relative to GDP period, since we can’t make the tax revenue go up significantly with respect to GDP, it’s never been above 20% in the last 70 years of tax policies.

Just admit - for a first - that someone successfully pointed out a flaw in one of your zillions of opinions.  JFC you are insufferable on here.  

jmog Senior Member
Wed, May 18, 2022 11:57 AM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

Just admit - for a first - that someone successfully pointed out a flaw in one of your zillions of opinions.  JFC you are insufferable on here.  

My point was that the revenue stays constant with respect to GDP regardless of tax policy  but spending has not…how did he point out a flaw in that factually correct statement?

And for the record, I have been wrong 1000s of  times and admitted so once pointed out. But saying tax policy doesn’t change revenue as a percent of gdp significantly is a true statement backed up by 70 years of data.
QuakerOats Senior Member
Wed, May 18, 2022 11:59 AM

Revenues have NOT been cut.   My God, read a spreadsheet. 

Federal receipts (after Trump tax cuts) were $4.1 trillion in 2021; in '16 they were $3.3 trillion.  Receipts have INCREASSED by almost $800 billion, or 24%, AFTER the cut in tax rates (just like always).  This happens EVERY time we do it, why do we have to keep explaining it?  The problem is SPENDING, not revenue. 

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 98 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 18, 2022 12:50 PM

Lol the disinformation board lasted all of 3 weeks. Idiots. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 38 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, May 18, 2022 2:54 PM

They will not stop.  I just heard Carl Cameron say we may need to take names and start throwing people in jail for misinformation.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login