2024 Presidential Election Thread

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 5:06 PM
posted by jmog

Can anyone explain why K-3 eventually needs a masters?

Not real sure. I think those with about 15+ years are guaranteed in and don’t need to get a masters. Several in my school do not.

That said it’s also kinda dumb not to get a masters. The pay increase pays for itself in like 2-3 years and it’s way more money. My district has a masters pay snd masters +15 and also a masters +30…..I’m finishing up my +30 and will hit step #27 next year. Without my masters next year I’d make about $14,000 less per year. I think my masters back about 20 years ago was around $6000….,it’s value though in pay has added about $55,000 in that time.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 5:09 PM
posted by jmog

Can anyone explain why K-3 eventually needs a masters?

My guess is it ultimately comes down to wages.  Union negotiates requirements, then turns around and says "these people are highly educated, they need to be paid more".

Chicago teachers, which seem to strike every new contract, START at an annual salary of $56k.  More experienced teachers with advanced degrees make over $108k.  That data was from 5 years ago.  If you're an AP teacher basically teaching college, then maybe $100k is reasonable.  The rest are overpaid, like a lot when you consider pensions.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 5:18 PM
posted by gut

My guess is it ultimately comes down to wages.  Union negotiates requirements, then turns around and says "these people are highly educated, they need to be paid more".

Chicago teachers, which seem to strike every new contract, START at an annual salary of $56k.  More experienced teachers with advanced degrees make over $108k.  That data was from 5 years ago.  If you're an AP teacher basically teaching college, then maybe $100k is reasonable.  The rest are overpaid, like a lot when you consider pensions.

But then the school also has to pay more when they reach the next pay column. At my small school the AP classes have like 4-6 students and really aren’t what they are supposed to be. From what I’ve seen our 3rd grade teachers have the most requirements on them and seem to have the most deserving highest paid jobs in our district. Kindergarten with its nuisances is next.

Most masters degrees that teachers get are not very worthy IMO. Many seem like here’s your $9000, here’s your masters degree.

It’s not the best system. So many teachers aren’t great.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 5:41 PM
posted by Ironman92

But then the school also has to pay more when they reach the next pay column. At my small school the AP classes have like 4-6 students and really aren’t what they are supposed to be. From what I’ve seen our 3rd grade teachers have the most requirements on them and seem to have the most deserving highest paid jobs in our district. Kindergarten with its nuisances is next.

Most masters degrees that teachers get are not very worthy IMO. Many seem like here’s your $9000, here’s your masters degree.

It’s not the best system. So many teachers aren’t great.

Education is a scam. More $ is spent per pupil than ever, and it all goes to admin fees. No one cares about “the kids”. Yet the typical clowns cry that education is lacking and they need more money. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 5:51 PM
posted by iclfan2

Education is a scam. More $ is spent per pupil than ever, and it all goes to admin fees. No one cares about “the kids”. Yet the typical clowns cry that education is lacking and they need more money. 

Put a red nose on me and give me more money 😁

I know you aren’t speaking of me or many other teachers but I’d give a 75% of teachers at my elementary really care about the kids.

The system isn’t good

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 5:54 PM
posted by geeblock

I really don’t get how u keep blaming Dems for poor police behavior when they are the ones pushing for ending qualified immunity. Trump wants to make it illegal to sue police at all. 

Do you know who called the national guard into Minnesota? Was it:

- State representative 

- Governor

- DA

- Sheriff 

And was that person a Democrat or a Republican?

Bonus question for extra credit:

If you want to end qualified immunity and/or defund the police, do you call in the national guard to shoot paint pellets at the rioters or law abiding citizens sitting on their porch?

gut Senior Member
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 6:31 PM
posted by iclfan2

It's massively screwed up.   "Associate" professors are taking the lionshare of early and entry-level courses, and getting like $3k per semester.  Which works out to less than $30 per hour (with little to no benefits).

Meanwhile, you have K-6 teachers making the equivalent of over $2500 per week, or well over $60 per hour (again, ignoring pension and other benefits).

Sorry, but my uncle home-schooled their kids, and those kids did very, very well.  Granted, mom was pretty smart.  But you'll never convince me teachers are our best and brightest nor that their results aren't easily obtainable by anyone who remotely gives a shit.

And I'm not arguing most teachers don't care.  I'm simply saying that the skill and ability required doesn't warrant above average pay.  If you made the median salary, around $50k, but for only 9-10 months of work, that's about right.

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 7:12 PM
posted by gut

It's massively screwed up.   "Associate" professors are taking the lionshare of early and entry-level courses, and getting like $3k per semester.  Which works out to less than $30 per hour (with little to no benefits).

Meanwhile, you have K-6 teachers making the equivalent of over $2500 per week, or well over $60 per hour (again, ignoring pension and other benefits).

Sorry, but my uncle home-schooled their kids, and those kids did very, very well.  Granted, mom was pretty smart.  But you'll never convince me teachers are our best and brightest nor that their results aren't easily obtainable by anyone who remotely gives a shit.

And I'm not arguing most teachers don't care.  I'm simply saying that the skill and ability required doesn't warrant above average pay.  If you made the median salary, around $50k, but for only 9-10 months of work, that's about right.

Not disagreeing much. Watching some work it feels like they are worth their weight in gold. The home school thing can really work, it’s not for everyone. My son needed the social opportunities more than the education.

IMO opinion the lower end kids and kids without much parenting from age 2-5 really need it. The amount of parents that don’t parent is flat out alarming. Most of those kids love school and the consistent schedules and honestly just the warm trusting adults involved in their days.

There are many many improvements that could be made but there are dozens of things the vast majority of people not in it don’t see/can’t see.

Kids with good parents that are serious about education….those kids mostly don’t need it, my son an exception. At my school I’d say 5-10% have the necessary family support to not need public schooling K-6. Probably another 25% would be added but both mom and dad work and they need the schooling maybe more so as a sitter.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 9:04 PM

So last weekend is spent in Pennsylvania in butler county and I guess because it’s a swing state every commercial is a political ad for the election. And some of them were really wild. I go out of my way to avoid commercials so I’m not sure but I don’t see hardly any in Ohio. Are there lots of ads where others here live? 

Ironman92 Administrator
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 9:05 PM
posted by geeblock

So last weekend is spent in Pennsylvania in butler county and I guess because it’s a swing state every commercial is a political ad for the election. And some of them were really wild. I go out of my way to avoid commercials so I’m not sure but I don’t see hardly any in Ohio. Are there lots of ads where others here live? 

Fortunately it’s minimal in my area of southern Ohio….but it’s about 70-75% Trump around here, so probably not greatly logical to spend campaign money on such a decided area.

Fri, Sep 6, 2024 9:35 PM
posted by geeblock

Right now, I have to say, I'm so happy I no longer have satellite service. I gave that up over a year ago. So I get to miss all that!

However I am getting a ton of political ads on YouTube.

gut Senior Member
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 9:39 PM
posted by geeblock

If you were remotely rational, you'd be AMAZED at how fucking stupid you are...

geeblock Member
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 10:00 PM
posted by gut

If you were remotely rational, you'd be AMAZED at how fucking stupid you are...

Wow ok bro 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 10:09 PM
posted by geeblock

Wow ok bro 

Yeah, bro

geeblock Member
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 10:20 PM
posted by gut

Yeah, bro

What a pompous ass lol f u how about that 

gut Senior Member
Fri, Sep 6, 2024 10:47 PM
posted by geeblock

What a pompous ass lol f u how about that 

OK, bro.  You seem like totally rational and in control.

iclfan2 Reppin' the 330/216/843
9,465 posts 99 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Sep 7, 2024 5:58 AM
posted by Ironman92

Put a red nose on me and give me more money 😁

I know you aren’t speaking of me or many other teachers but I’d give a 75% of teachers at my elementary really care about the kids.

The system isn’t good

I didn’t mean teachers don’t care about the kids, I meant the libs that cry about unfunded education. I’d much rather have teachers paid more and every admin fired. Shit I’m from a small ass town and we had an assistant athletic director. He did literally nothing. It’s not hard to know where the waste is. People are just weak. 

jmog Senior Member
7,737 posts 51 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Sep 7, 2024 7:09 AM

I can’t watch a YouTube video without seeing Kamala or Bernie or Obama all saying the same thing “we are running out of time, even a $5 donation can help win this election” or some BS like that.  

They peppered YouTube hard for Kamala. 

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Sat, Sep 7, 2024 12:45 PM
posted by jmog

I can’t watch a YouTube video without seeing Kamala or Bernie or Obama all saying the same thing “we are running out of time, even a $5 donation can help win this election” or some BS like that.  

They peppered YouTube hard for Kamala. 

Depending on how often you use YouTube, springing the whatever per month per Premium can be a great idea. No ads, which works for me both because when it comes to some of my movie genres (Italian horror/suspense/slashers in particular), it can be easier to find rips of them there than on the Primes and Tubis of the world AND because now that we live in a world where you need multiple streaming services to get all the major sporting events nowadays, it's always good to have a password or three to trade with friends in order to cut costs!

Sat, Sep 7, 2024 2:06 PM
posted by Heretic

Depending on how often you use YouTube, springing the whatever per month per Premium can be a great idea. No ads, which works for me both because when it comes to some of my movie genres (Italian horror/suspense/slashers in particular), it can be easier to find rips of them there than on the Primes and Tubis of the world AND because now that we live in a world where you need multiple streaming services to get all the major sporting events nowadays, it's always good to have a password or three to trade with friends in order to cut costs!

That's not a bad idea, really. The problem that I come across sometimes is that many of the people that I'm subscribed to do their own ads during their livestreams. At least those types of ads aren't political, I guess.

The other types of ads are usually a mix for me. Most of them are if the more localized variety, such as attack ads against Sherrod Brown. 

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login