2024 Presidential Election Thread

Heretic Son of the Sun
20,517 posts 203 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 6:13 PM

posted by gut

And Trump has a few family members who have railed about him.

What does that tell you about sociopaths in politics who can't even get along with their own family members?  But, you know, Frank and Hunter LOVE Joe...

Yep, Walz has a lot of family that support Trump. Trump has family that will support anyone but Trump. A few people identifying as Dems have gone over to Trump because they don't like how the party is being run or the direction it's going. A lot of former staff people for Trump (and other R presidents or nominees) are endorsing Kamala because Trump.

All turns into something where some people try to cherry-pick someone on one side switching teams, at least temporarily, as an indictment of a particular candidate or party when the reality is that things have gotten to the point where politicians suck so much that a lot of people seem to be bouncing back and forth between parties in an attempt to at least pretend one side is sucking a bit less than the less right now in their eyes.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 6:46 PM
posted by Heretic

All turns into something where some people try to cherry-pick someone on one side switching teams, at least temporarily, as an indictment of a particular candidate or party when the reality is that things have gotten to the point where politicians suck so much that a lot of people seem to be bouncing back and forth between parties in an attempt to at least pretend one side is sucking a bit less than the less right now in their eyes.

We are all dead by daylight

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 6:46 PM
posted by Heretic

Yep, Walz has a lot of family that support Trump. Trump has family that will support anyone but Trump. A few people identifying as Dems have gone over to Trump because they don't like how the party is being run or the direction it's going. A lot of former staff people for Trump (and other R presidents or nominees) are endorsing Kamala because Trump.

Pretty significant number of family members tho

Heretic Son of the Sun
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 6:50 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

We are all dead by daylight

Just the lucky ones.

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 6:51 PM
posted by Heretic

I wonder how much of it is opportunism.  They're all selling books - you were an idiot if you worked in the Trump admin and didn't write a "tell all" for $1M when you left (or were fired).

Like, Tulsi is a really strange one for me.  For some reason, she became a Democrat pariah.  Then she seemed to be angling for a contributor role on Fox News.  Now she seems to be hoping for a role in the Trump admin.  I know a lot of people here liked Tulsi, myself included, but she appears willing to say almost anything to remain relevant.

Trump himself seemed to calculate he couldn't get elected as a Dem, or at least win the primary, and so ran as a Republican.

Wed, Sep 4, 2024 6:54 PM

I would be suspicious of any family that claims to completely agree on all facets of politics. Keep a vial of Holy Water on you at all times!

My family was all Democrat when I was a kid. Now there are many points of view. It's not uncommon to see/hear "the /insert political party/ can go to hell, do you have the pepper?" which often leads to interesting discussions while everybody is burping off dinner. 

Ironman92 Administrator
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 8:05 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I would be suspicious of any family that claims to completely agree on all facets of politics. Keep a vial of Holy Water on you at all times!

My family was all Democrat when I was a kid. Now there are many points of view. It's not uncommon to see/hear "the /insert political party/ can go to hell, do you have the pepper?" which often leads to interesting discussions while everybody is burping off dinner. 

Wondering if Aaron Rodgers family was Packers now Jets fans

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 9:16 PM

Apparently this family is only related to him through his grandfathers brother 

Ironman92 Administrator
Wed, Sep 4, 2024 9:19 PM
posted by geeblock

Those are votes he should expect to get

Wed, Sep 4, 2024 10:37 PM
posted by geeblock

Oh, so his great uncle and cousins.

"only" lol

kizer permanente Senior Member
1,309 posts 18 reps Joined Aug 2017
Thu, Sep 5, 2024 12:17 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Oh, so his great uncle and cousins.

"only" lol

I've never met my great uncle or "cousins" (2nd cousins) and they live 45 min away. I only know they exist. I wouldn't expect them to vote for me b/c their grandpa had a brother who had a family of his own. 
gut Senior Member
Thu, Sep 5, 2024 12:20 PM
posted by kizer permanente
I've never met my great uncle or "cousins" (2nd cousins) and they live 45 min away. I only know they exist. I wouldn't expect them to vote for me b/c their grandpa had a brother who had a family of his own. 

Well, Walz also hasn't talked to his brother in 8 years.  So seems like he doesn't get along with anyone, really, in his family.

Thu, Sep 5, 2024 12:38 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Oh wow. That's so foreign to me. I guess it's because my family can't grill hot dogs without 20 people showing up, everything has to have copious amounts of food and kids lol!

Thu, Sep 5, 2024 12:40 PM

In today's news, Liz Cheney has endorsed Kamala Harris!

Brilliant foreshadowing of Raytheon, Boeing and Black Rock making billions$

Thu, Sep 5, 2024 12:53 PM
posted by gut.

Like, Tulsi is a really strange one for me.  For some reason, she became a Democrat pariah.  Then she seemed to be angling for a contributor role on Fox News.  Now she seems to be hoping for a role in the Trump admin.  I know a lot of people here liked Tulsi, myself included, but she appears willing to say almost anything to remain relevant.

Tulsi pissed the Dems off when she stepped down as vice chair of the DNC to endorse Bernie Sanders. Remember, she was the one who the Dems were in the process of setting her up to be what Kamala is now - a woman, a woman who wasn't white. But she tarnished in their eyes by firmly supporting Bernie, who was a populist. So then they started setting up Kamala as their "top tier candidate". Then, Tulsi had the audacity to expose Kamala and darken her daylights during the primary. Then Hillary Clinton said Tulsi was a Russian Asset. So this is what the far left calls the Bernie to Trump pipeline. 

Kennedy Jr also supported Bernie, which sealed his doom long before what he decides to run himself and realized what the Dems actually became. 

Thu, Sep 5, 2024 1:02 PM
posted by gut

Trump himself seemed to calculate he couldn't get elected as a Dem, or at least win the primary, and so ran as a Republican.

Historically, Trump donated to both parties, but exponentially donated far more money to the Dems - including Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. I think he is more in the left side of the aisle than most people actually consider. 

Illegal immigration is a good example. The Dems used to say that open borders was a Koch brothers idea for wage suppression. But they gave that up when they decided that getting blue votes from illegal immigrants was worth more to them than preventing wage suppression. Trump is a complete Democrat if you place him in the year 2007. Now he's called far right/fascist/Nazi for daring to curb illegal immigration.

Heretic Son of the Sun
Thu, Sep 5, 2024 1:16 PM

posted by gut

I wonder how much of it is opportunism.  They're all selling books - you were an idiot if you worked in the Trump admin and didn't write a "tell all" for $1M when you left (or were fired).

Oh, I'd wager a lot of it is opportunism. Politics has transformed into a license to print money for anyone remotely savvy. All you have to do is be willing to change your standards and stances on anything at any time in order to follow the $$$. To me, it's weird. If I knew someone who, in their personal life, flip-flopped on stuff like a politician does, they'd get no farther than "casual acquaintance" with me because I wouldn't trust them enough to really want them around. But in this world, being like that gets you all sorts of TV appearances and feature stories.
gut Senior Member
Thu, Sep 5, 2024 1:51 PM
posted by Heretic

To me, it's weird. If I knew someone who, in their personal life, flip-flopped on stuff like a politician does, they'd get no farther than "casual acquaintance" with me because I wouldn't trust them enough to really want them around. But in this world, being like that gets you all sorts of TV appearances and feature stories.

Yeah, it's funny that our most "electable" candidates are people none of us would probably want to be associated with.

To be fair, as a representative of the people "flipping" to what the voters want could be considered what the job requires.  But I think what happens today is politicians just tell people what they want to hear, no matter if it's a bad idea or untenable.  They then rely on the "opposition party" to block that agenda, and then blame the other party for broken campaign promises.

Like Biden knew he couldn't pass student loan forgiveness.  He was creating a wedge issue, and yet another attack on the courts.  When Trump does it, he doesn't "respect the rule of law", but when Dems do it it's never about undermining the courts, it's about "fairness".

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Sep 5, 2024 3:17 PM

Not withstanding  the  fact that he doesn’t understand how tariffs. This answer is hilarious. I can’t believe this is a serious candidate. 

https://x.com/kamalahq/status/1831753100446589285?s=46&t=xrxfs6mLIefacKYITrkV2A

Thu, Sep 5, 2024 3:22 PM
posted by geeblock

Not withstanding  the  fact that he doesn’t understand how tariffs. This answer is hilarious. I can’t believe this is a serious candidate. 

https://x.com/kamalahq/status/1831753100446589285?s=46&t=xrxfs6mLIefacKYITrkV2A

Well, believe it. He's always gone off track in stupid ways. It's like he has ADHD or something.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login