2024 Presidential Election Thread

BR1986FB Senior Member
27,923 posts 124 reps Joined Feb 2010
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 8:24 AM
posted by Ironman92

How many voters are I the US? -175 million? Will we get to 50% voting? 40% turnout? Will there be 80 million voters? I feel at least 10% are like me. Not greatly into politics and shit full of the ridiculous candidates they give us to choose from. The far right 10% and far left 10% are crazy. I’m leaning Trump for the reason that it seems shady as hell and I don’t know the other. I feel there has to be 10,000,000+ voters in my boat.

Maybe my numbers are wildly off, but my type of voter needs addressed

You mention crazy? The uncle of my fiancee, a hardcore/liberals can do no wrong, in his mid/late 60's was recently at my fiancee's mom's (said liberals 76 year old sister). 76 year old thinks Harris is an idiot and told her younger brother. His reply was to get up in a 76 year old woman's face, poke his finger in her nose/uncomfortably close and say "she's a WONDERFUL woman!!!! How could you vote for Trump? I actually seen him RAPE a baby with my own eyes! Our family has ALWAYS voted Democrat!" The far extremes are truly off the deep end/crazy.

And this guy is a retired government employee and ex-military.

8,788 posts 20 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 10:00 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Maybe anybody but Trump can take pictures there?

Getting technical here, those are official DOD website photos on official Presidential acts. They are not campaign or White House photos.

Trump used the photos in official political campaign emails and videos, which is the issue. 

There is a difference. 

Devils Advocate Brudda o da bomber
4,899 posts 100 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 10:07 AM

Please don’t portray Trump as a victim in this Arlington stuff. If he felt it was necessary to grieve the loss of the Afgahanistan debat., he probably would have been there the last 2 years.

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 10:10 AM

I remember on one of the D-Day anniversaries Bill Clinton strolling the beach at Normandy happening on a pile of stones.  Kneeling an neatly placing them in the shape of a cross.  The dogs bark but the caravan moves on.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 11:32 AM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Getting technical here, those are official DOD website photos on official Presidential acts. They are not campaign or White House photos.

Trump used the photos in official political campaign emails and videos, which is the issue. 

There is a difference. 

Is that the difference, then? Election years? Every fourth year no pics?

Seems odd to me only because our elections seem to get longer and longer. The campaigning never seems to end. 

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 11:35 AM
posted by Devils Advocate

Please don’t portray Trump as a victim in this Arlington stuff. If he felt it was necessary to grieve the loss of the Afgahanistan debat., he probably would have been there the last 2 years.

Oh, nobody is doing that, DA. I just didn't understand the difference. 

Also, Trump goes to military funerals a lot. That has nothing to do with it either imo

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 11:40 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Is that the difference, then? Election years? Every fourth year no pics?

Seems odd to me only because our elections seem to get longer and longer. The campaigning never seems to end. 

In this case, yes it seems. The Trump campaign was told not to take any photos that could be used for campaign emails or posts. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier posts were perfectly fine.

The Section 60 posts on tiktok and campaign emails were not allowed by federal law and that is the difference.

If Obama did use those photos in campaign emails or posts to promote his Presidency, that would be a different story as that is what Trump did. 

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 11:42 AM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Oh, nobody is doing that, DA. I just didn't understand the difference. 

Also, Trump goes to military funerals a lot. That has nothing to do with it either imo

Yeah, I have no issue with Trump attending with the gold star family. That was her wishes....just don't share photos to promote the campaign. 

majorspark Senior Member
5,459 posts 39 reps Joined Nov 2009
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 11:47 AM

The Section 60 posts on tiktok and campaign emails were not allowed by federal law and that is the difference.

More charges please.

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 12:11 PM

people are acting like he filmed a tv commercial at a grave site smh

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 12:18 PM

In this case, yes it seems. The Trump campaign was told not to take any photos that could be used for campaign emails or posts. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier posts were perfectly fine.

If Obama did use those photos in campaign emails or posts to promote his Presidency, that would be a different story as that is what Trump did. 

Yeah, I rarely get on Twitter anymore and I don't have a tiktok. I also don't get emails from Trump's campaign or any other politician - so I didn't see any of that. In fact, I didn't even know there was an issue until you brought it up. 

Seems to me that when told no pics his handlers should have complied. Because let's face it, somebody in that crowd would have taken them anyway and those pics would have made the rounds. 

Is there a fine for such a thing? What's the results? A scolding?

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 12:21 PM
posted by majorspark

More charges please.

No kidding LOL!

Merrick Garland is probably telling Jack Smith right now to find a way to indict Trump hahaha

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 12:25 PM
posted by geeblock

people are acting like he filmed a tv commercial at a grave site smh

Well, he kind of did. Maybe not a commercial, but certainly for an ad or campaign purposes. 

Trump has always been pro soldier and gone out of his way to pay his respects to the fallen. I don't think anybody would be mad about that. But if Arlington directs you not to do something, it wouldn't have cost Trump any facetime to comply.

Otherwise, I also do think that Biden or Kamala should have made the first appearance there, since the event did happen under their direction.

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 12:46 PM

This reminds me of people here (no need to say names)

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 1:55 PM

Kamala still doesn't have any of her policy ideas on her website. But they took the time to set up a merch store lol

Trump does

Both screenies are taken from the menus of both candidate campaign sites.

She *really* needs to stop worrying about selling hats and get her people plugging in her policy/platform info. 

geeblock Member
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 3:39 PM

I just read trumps platform. I don’t know the answer this is a question. Have the gop and trump not said they were cutting out social security and Medicare. On the website it promises to protect both. 

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 3:56 PM
posted by geeblock

I just read trumps platform. I don’t know the answer this is a question. Have the gop and trump not said they were cutting out social security and Medicare. On the website it promises to protect both. 

I don't really know the specifics about your question. What I can tell you is that both parties have floated the idea of sunsetting social security for decades.

I'm actually in favor of privatizing SS. My financial planner that I got when my brothers and I inherited my father's estate is more trustworthy to handle my money than the govt is. Certainly more trustworthy x100. I just invested in more metals last month, actually. 

geeblock Member
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 7:09 PM

Trump came out today and said he is now against the 6 week ban on abortion. I wonder if he will be called a flip flopper. 

Thu, Aug 29, 2024 7:25 PM
posted by geeblock

Trump came out today and said he is now against the 6 week ban on abortion. I wonder if he will be called a flip flopper. 

That's not new. We just talked about that on this forum... probably less than a month ago.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Thu, Aug 29, 2024 7:31 PM
posted by geeblock

Politicians don’t flip flop, their thinking “evolves”.

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login