2024 Presidential Election Thread

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 4:23 PM
posted by iclfan2

The $25k is just another handout ploy. It will just artificially raise demand in an already absurdly high price environment. So housing prices will continue to go up and the $25k won’t even help the people who need it.

But look at how well taxpayer funded student loans for unaffordable educations have gone....I'm sure it will work with housing, though, because there has NEVER been an issue with people buying houses they can't afford.

Maybe a better solution is to look at the fundamental issues driving housing prices....in predominantly blue large cities.  Of course, one of the issues at the root of the housing crisis was a belief that increasing ownership was good always and everywhere when, in reality, there is an optimal level of ownership well less than 100%.  Because home ownership is a long-term investment that isn't a particularly wise move for the young and single.  It's more complicated than a 30-second policy sound bite because the mix of rentals/ownership can cause issues even when there isn't a supply imbalance of housing.

CenterBHSFan 333 - I'm only half evil
7,259 posts 53 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 4:35 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I strongly disagree with this.  It has long been Israel's ace-in-the-hole to silence opposition by equating anti-zionism with hating jews.  The two are not mutually exclusive. 

Which lefties do you listen to who have never used Zionist as a pejorative?

geeblock Member
1,123 posts 0 reps Joined May 2018
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 4:42 PM
posted by gut

Programs already exist, especially for 1st time home buyers.  For others, there's mortgage insurance if you don't have 20% down.  So where does the money come from to subsidize people with a higher default risk?  I'll give you one guess...Also, before you champion this policy you may want to do some reading up on the 2008 financial/housing crisis.  Because I KNOW how much you hate reading posts full of misinformation.

Just like laws against gouging already exist.  Maybe not federal, but LOL inflation coming down means "gouging" is no longer widespread [not that it was ever a real issue].  Just another pandering double-down that inflation was caused by corporate greed instead of fiscal policy.

I’m certainly not an expert on this but I know we have done it before in 50’s and 60’s right? 

I will have to read up on pros and cons but just off the first look helping first time homeowners and also incentivizing new builds sounds good. 

geeblock Member
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 4:44 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

You have to go pretty far down the rabbit hole to find someone using the word Zionist imo. I think this place is the only time I come across it . 

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 4:54 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I don't keep track of something like that.  I just know that being against Zionism (or against Israeli activities) is always labeled antisemetic sooner or later.  It's an effective way to shut down any dissenting voices.  It's especially a charged term in the country that largely funds Israel.  

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:14 PM

Well I appreciate how Boogie and geeblock both like to refute what is said but never can explain why, when it where.

See what I mean, now, Ptown?

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:15 PM

Speaking about Trump, the right and the left, I just listened to this vid (I've a long standing crush on Douglas Murray!). It's not very long so I highly recommend giving it a listen:

geeblock Member
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:24 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Well I appreciate how Boogie and geeblock both like to refute what is said but never can explain why, when it where.

I didn’t refute anything it just seems for someone who hates lefties you seem to spend most of your spare time down rabbit holes absorbing any content you can find whether try or not to criticize them. Go outside and stand in the sun for a while. Things will be ok . 

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:26 PM
posted by geeblock

I think it’s important to move to the middle and give in to certain things that are important to all people not just ones who vote for you or that u necessarily agree with . I think all candidates should do this. I’m glad trump finally has a policy we can discuss tho. If only he actually had more actual policies to discuss he probably would be doing better 

HAHAHAHAHAAAA

QuakerOats Senior Member
11,701 posts 66 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:27 PM
posted by iclfan2

One of Kamala’s first policies is reportedly a federal price gouging law. How are you going to implement that besides price controls? Which has repeatedly been a failed economic policy. 

So you're against communism? 

gut Senior Member
18,369 posts 116 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:37 PM
posted by geeblock

I’m certainly not an expert on this but I know we have done it before in 50’s and 60’s right? 

I will have to read up on pros and cons but just off the first look helping first time homeowners and also incentivizing new builds sounds good. 

Again, veterans can get loans through the VA program, which guarantees the loan and so gives them better deals.  90% put $0 down.

Slew of options for 1st time home buyers for as little as 0% down.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/mortgages/programs-help-first-time-homebuyers

And then, of course, is mortgage insurance for people putting 3-10% down. For still others they can have a co-signor.

Those programs exist right now.  Given your disdain for misinformation it's pretty clear you must not read your own posts.

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:48 PM
posted by geeblock

I didn’t refute anything it just seems for someone who hates lefties you seem to spend most of your spare time down rabbit holes absorbing any content you can find whether try or not to criticize them. Go outside and stand in the sun for a while. Things will be ok . 

I've said time and time again that I agree with several things that the far left pushes for. 

geeblock Member
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 5:50 PM
posted by gut

Again, veterans can get loans through the VA program, which guarantees the loan and so gives them better deals.  90% put $0 down.

Slew of options for 1st time home buyers for as little as 0% down.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/mortgages/programs-help-first-time-homebuyers

And then, of course, is mortgage insurance for people putting 3-10% down. For still others they can have a co-signor.

Those programs exist right now.  Given your disdain for misinformation it's pretty clear you must not read your own posts.

What does any of that have to do with the new law that we were discussing? I never said any of that wasn’t true. I said the program sounded good to me lol how is that misinformation? I said several times I knew very little about it and long term effects. I merely gave my opinion on what I read and gave the reasons why I thought it was good. Thanks for adding more information but I wasn’t arguing with you or anyone just giving my opinion that I brought up . 

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 6:03 PM

I generally try to convey the differences between establishment Dems, the left and far left. To avoid repetition many times I make that distinction because of the topic or the context of whatever point I'm making.

Everybody else is able to comprehend what the differences are , even if they don't agree with my point, except the "educator" geeblock.

I admit that it IS kind of entertaining to keep pointing out the deficiencies of understanding he is eager to advertise. But doing so on a regular basis becomes tedious work.

Dr Winston O'Boogie Senior Member
3,345 posts 35 reps Joined Oct 2010
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 6:53 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

I expressed my opinion that antizionism does not equate to antisemitism automatically.  

sportchampps Senior Member
7,527 posts 36 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 7:10 PM
posted by geeblock

I feel like she was for the border security bill that was put up earlier this year or late last year so I’m not sure what you mean. I didn’t see the nazi thing. Also I don’t need the candidate no matter who they are to personally believe or not believe in something but rather do what’s best for everyone. 

I do like her plan to give 25k incentive to new home builds. This should encourage more building and more jobs and will help with current housing cris

25k for housing will just raise the prices and increase the bids on a house definitely it going to save anyone anything 

Also my mistake she didn’t compare ICE to Nazis she compared them to the KKK. 

What she believes is what she will do whens she’s in office 

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 8:18 PM

Really weak stuff my intelligent, strong Dems on my FB are using as a  “we are right, you are wrong stance”

Ironman92 Administrator
56,729 posts 167 reps Joined Nov 2009
Fri, Aug 16, 2024 8:51 PM
posted by iclfan2

If the shoe fits?

Yeah….these women would be the last women on earth to sleep their way for advancement and zero chance they condone it in any way. Weak attempt in making it the man’s problem 

How about “if you sleep your way to the top….EVEN IF YOU ARE THE MOST WORTHY,  many people are going to think you are less deserving of said position”

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 10:39 PM

Women sleeping their way to positions of power is as old as time. Some women excelled at it in such a way that people hated them while simultaneously kissing their asses to reap the benefits of self-debasement. Marquise de Pompadour and Madame du Barry both with King Louis XV and Athenais de Montespan  with King Louis XIV are three excellent examples of this. Many men have done the same; castrati with their Sultans as an example. 

Fri, Aug 16, 2024 10:44 PM

Oh shit!

Login

Register

Already have an account? Login